AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

FloridaBoy 12-10-2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscottyk (Post 745927)
Has anyone installed a HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuse?

Thoughts?

I have and there was a modest improvement in my DAC, nada in a tube amp.
YMMV.

FloridaBoy 12-10-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_kc (Post 745841)
I haven’t received the tube chart. About a week ago Dennis emailed me that he’s still working on it. I imagine that the number of combinations is large (options for output tubes x compatible rectifiers x and input tubes).

Have you tried the KT150s and 5AR4 yet?

It is pretty simple. With ST (coke bottle) 6L6G's and 6V6G's use only a 5Y3 or 80 rectifier. With 6V6GT's, 6L6GC's, KT66, KT88 etc. any rectifier can be used
in the auto bias Inspire amps.

Peter posted a chart way back in this thread. :thumbsup:

jscottyk 12-10-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 746155)
It is pretty simple. With ST (coke bottle) 6L6G's and 6V6G's use only a 5Y3 or 80 rectifier. With 6V6GT's, 6L6GC's, KT66, KT88 etc. any rectifier can be used in the auto bias Inspire amps. Peter posted a chart way back in this thread. :thumbsup:

Considering the various designs and iterations, it's difficult to understand which of the various tube rolling post apply to which designs. I think the chart Peter posted was for a different design than the one robert_kc and I have.

But maybe the auto biasing makes that a moot question.

nhparrot 12-10-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 746152)
They are very good, different than the Pope, just use a 5Y3 or 80 rectifier only.

Preference is system dependent.

There is a Swiss seller on that auction site that has a lot of 6V6G listed. I have pairs of GE, RCA, and Canadian Marconi. *I* like the GE and RCA a bit more.

The old production 6V6GT, except for the Pope, have not really done it for me. Possibly because good ones are getting scarce because the guitar guys are heavy users of 6V6's.

Thanks - I have 3 pairs of 6V6GT (Hytron, Pope and Bendix 5992) That are nice in their own way. Was just wondering if the old 6V6G type was worth a try. Any particular observations about the different 6V6G's you have tried?

BearCityUSA 12-10-2015 01:22 PM

I have had my Inspire gear for about a year now and I cannot remember the last time I was so happy with a purchase. I look forward to listening to it every day. On days when I am away I still think about it. I dream about it (and tubes) at night. I am so inspired (pun intended) I am looking to buy a vintage Maggie to restore like Dennis did when he retired which later developed into these amazing units. Thank you Dennis.

A also look forward to this thread and the notices I get of a Post. Thank you as we'll, Peter, for getting this going and to all the contributors.

In prep for the X-mas Jam this weekend I listened to the whole Gov't Mule Georgia Box Set yesterday. Cannot believe I had no complaints. I was pushing my eardrums to there comfort level. Good thing I work in a concrete building. If you like Live Southern Rock I recommend it. A good live recording.

pstrisik 12-10-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 746195)
I have had my Inspire gear for about a year now and I cannot remember the last time I was so happy with a purchase. I look forward to listening to it every day. On days when I am away I still think about it. I dream about it (and tubes) at night. I am so inspired (pun intended) I am looking to buy a vintage Maggie to restore like Dennis did when he retired which later developed into these amazing units. Thank you Dennis.

A also look forward to this thread and the notices I get of a Post. Thank you as we'll, Peter, for getting this going and to all the contributors.

In prep for the X-mas Jam this weekend I listened to the whole Gov't Mule Georgia Box Set yesterday. Cannot believe I had no complaints. I was pushing my eardrums to there comfort level. Good thing I work in a concrete building. If you like Live Southern Rock I recommend it. A good live recording.

x3workshop 12-10-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 746153)
I have and there was a modest improvement in my DAC, nada in a tube amp.
YMMV.

And what exactly did that fuse do for a DAC? I'm curious to hear.

nhparrot 12-10-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 746152)
They are very good, different than the Pope, just use a 5Y3 or 80 rectifier only.

Preference is system dependent.

There is a Swiss seller on that auction site that has a lot of 6V6G listed. I have pairs of GE, RCA, and Canadian Marconi. *I* like the GE and RCA a bit more.

The old production 6V6GT, except for the Pope, have not really done it for me. Possibly because good ones are getting scarce because the guitar guys are heavy users of 6V6's.

Has anyone tried a NOS Mullard 6V6G (I think I have read that they are actually made by Marconi)? I have an opportunity to pick up a matched pair for a reasonable price. Also with the 6V6G can a 5Z4GY/CV1863 rectifier be used (I have a NOS Brimar)?

jscottyk 12-10-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twanny (Post 746240)
And what exactly did that fuse do for a DAC? I'm curious to hear.

I don't have any direct experience but am planning on using them in a Bel Canto DAC3.

Here a couple of interesting reviews:
The Stereo Times
Stereophile

x3workshop 12-11-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscottyk (Post 746296)
I don't have any direct experience but am planning on using them in a Bel Canto DAC3.

Here a couple of interesting reviews:
The Stereo Times
Stereophile

I'd be happy to try one out if anyone wants to send me one. Seriously. I just wonder what it would do in a DAC?