AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

pstrisik 12-07-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 745594)
Have you considered a 12 Step Program? :D

I think he did:

Step 1 - buy amp
Step 2 - buy pre-amp
Step 3 - buy vintage tube amp
Step 4 - buy another vintage tube amp
etc......... :D

or

Step 1 - admit that you are powerless over your speakers
Step 2 - buy more powerful amp.......... etc. :smoking:

jscottyk 12-08-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slefley (Post 743994)
... I'm expecting Omega Super 3i's soon so I'll need to start the rolling process again.

I ordered a set of Omega Super 3i's recently and am looking forward to seeing how they compare to my HSU HB-1 Mk2.

jscottyk 12-08-2015 06:11 PM

robert_kc, did you ever get that chart from Dennis? I have not yet seen it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_kc (Post 745415)
Thus far, when playing classical music I’ve found that my Inspire KT88 stereo amp performs best with my Klipsch RF-7 speakers (sensitivity 101dB). (Speakers in my other systems: Klipsch Palladium P-37F (sensitivity 96dB), Snell Type CV (sensitivity 90dB), and JBL L880 (sensitivity 91dB)). Most of my testing has been done by connecting the Firebottle directly to the variable output of my Oppo BDP-105 universal player (i.e., no pre-amp), and listening to high-res (e.g., 24 bit/192kHz) FLAC recordings. I found that the Firebottle has ample gain for pop music, but in some cases (depending of which tubes are installed), the volume level for some classical recordings was not adequate. (In those cases a pre-amp could solve the gain problem.) My Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO, built in Oct 2015, was delivered as follows:
INSPIRE TUBE AMPLIFIER by DENNIS HAD FEATURING THE KT-88/6550 BEAM POWER VACUUM TUBE AMPLIFIER IN A SINGLE-ENDED CLASS A SET TRIODE DESIGN
  • CLASS A, 8 WATT, ZERO-FEEDBACK TRIODE
  • KT-88 GENALEX OUTPUT TUBES
  • 6CG7 NOS INPUT DRIVER
  • 5U4 Shuguang RECTIFIER TUBE
  • REGULATED DC, B+ VOLTAGE ON DRIVER TUBE
  • REGULATED DC POSITIVE CATHODE BIAS ON DRIVER TUBE
  • CUSTOM DESIGNED AIR-GAP 15 WATT OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS TO MATCH KT-88 TUBES IN THE TRIODE MODE
I found that substituting an Amperex 6DJ8 for the 6CG7 results in an increase in the output volume, without compromising the sound quality. However, some classical recordings still weren’t loud enough. Thus far I’ve experienced the best results with the Klipsch RF-7 using the Amperex 6DJ8, plus replacing the output tubes with Groove Tube GT6L6 GE (Gold Series, performance rating 5), and the rectifier with a JJ GZ34/5AR4. This combination provides adequate gain for all recordings when fed directly by my Oppo BDP-105, and sounds great, and has ample bass. (The organ pedal notes in the 4th movement of Saint-Saens Symphony 3 by the Kansas City Symphony (24bit/172kHz FLAC by Reference Recordings) were impressive.) FYI, Dennis wrote me as follows: “GT6L6 GE with the JJ 5AR4 along with the 6DJ8 is a great combo. If you were to go to a vintage 6L6G coke bottle shape tube you would want to use a 5Y3 rectifier tube. Other 6L6 vintage NOS best suited with a 5U4 rectifier. The 5AR4 is AOK with any of the larger tubes like the KT88, 6550, KT90, KT120 and KT150.” I found that the KT88s also sound excellent with the Klipsch RF-7 when using the 5AR4 and 6DJ8. My Snell Type CV also sounded excellent for popular music with the Inspire equipped with KT88s, 5AR4, and 6DJ8, but would not play quite loud enough for most high-res classical recordings. Other tubes that I tried but didn’t care for:
  • I found that the 6N1P increased the sound level, but the sound quality lacked bass.
  • EL34 output tubes provided adequate volume, but had diminished dynamic range and deep bass.
Bottom line: based on my testing thus far, my choice is currently: Amperex 6DJ8, GZ34/5AR4 (JJ sounded better than Mullard), and either Groove Tube GT6L6 GE (Gold Series) or Gold Lion KT88 output tubes. I’m waiting to hear from Dennis regarding whether or not KT66 outputs are supported. Does anyone have experience with KT66s in this amp?

robert_kc 12-08-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscottyk (Post 745798)
robert_kc, did you ever get that chart from Dennis? I have not yet seen it.

I haven’t received the tube chart. About a week ago Dennis emailed me that he’s still working on it. I imagine that the number of combinations is large (options for output tubes x compatible rectifiers x and input tubes).

Have you tried the KT150s and 5AR4 yet?

jscottyk 12-09-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_kc (Post 745841)
Have you tried the KT150s and 5AR4 yet?

Yes, I sure have. Just made the switch last week. For 5AR4 I am using a Mullard GZ34 and also a Sophia 274B. So far I enjoy the Mullard GZ34 more. Honestly, I have a strange physical sensation when I use the Sophia 274B; it's difficult to describe but I'm wondering if that tube is ok. Everyone seems to love it but I just can't listen with it for more than a few minutes.

I'm new to tube rolling so I'm not sure I have the proper language to describe what I'm hearing. The KT150s and Mullard GZ34 are definitely different than the KT-88 and Shuguang 5U4 the unit came with. I wouldn't say better, but definitely different. More volume (power) but not as separation between the instruments and voices.

jscottyk 12-09-2015 11:41 AM

HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses?

Has anyone installed a HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuse?

Thoughts?

robert_kc 12-09-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscottyk (Post 745926)
The KT150s and Mullard GZ34 are definitely different than the KT-88 and Shuguang 5U4 the unit came with. I wouldn't say better, but definitely different. More volume (power) but not as separation between the instruments and voices.

Have you tried substituting a 6DJ8 for the 6CG7? That resulted in more gain (louder volume) in my system.

jscottyk 12-09-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_kc (Post 745989)
Have you tried substituting a 6DJ8 for the 6CG7? That resulted in more gain (louder volume) in my system.

I have not. Thanks for that suggestion. Dennis did send along a NOS Amperex 6DJ8 in addition to the 6CG7 and said, "...let your ears be the judge for your system." :)

nhparrot 12-10-2015 07:06 AM

Any reviews on the SQ of the NOS 6V6G ST Bottle tubes, as compared to the Pope 6V6GT, RCA 6V6GT etc?

FloridaBoy 12-10-2015 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 746148)
Any reviews on the SQ of the NOS 6V6G ST Bottle tubes, as compared to the Pope 6V6GT, RCA 6V6GT etc?

They are very good, different than the Pope, just use a 5Y3 or 80 rectifier only.

Preference is system dependent.

There is a Swiss seller on that auction site that has a lot of 6V6G listed. I have pairs of GE, RCA, and Canadian Marconi. *I* like the GE and RCA a bit more.

The old production 6V6GT, except for the Pope, have not really done it for me. Possibly because good ones are getting scarce because the guitar guys are heavy users of 6V6's.