AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Stillpoint Ultra SS with Wilson Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15950)

turntable 09-10-2012 07:17 AM

Stillpoint Ultra SS with Wilson Speakers

I have read that replacing the spikes on speakers with Stillpoint ultra SS brings one to another level of performance.
TAS reviewed them very positively with the big Focal speakers.

Has anyone tried them on their Wilson speakers or any speakers for that matter. Or anything other than the standard spikes.

Cheers

adhesiv 09-10-2012 09:27 AM

I used them on my Devore Nines and can attest to the improvement over the stock spikes. I noticed significant improvement in overall detail and resolution but most shockingly the biggest difference was a tighter and faster bass response.

I was using the Ultra AL with the thread adapters specifically for the Devores.

I say "was" because I've disassembled my whole system including the speakers and the Stillpoints. Don't take that as finding something wrong with the setup in any way (in fact totally the opposite). I'm only selling everything for personal reasons. Stillpoints are the real deal.

Disclaimer: The Stillpoints are still for sale ;)

Kingsrule 09-10-2012 11:22 AM

I tried them on the Sasha's.
Sound became vague and ill defined

Still-One 09-10-2012 01:13 PM

I thought about trying them on my MBL's after hearing a lot of good things about them but never got around to it. I am not sure how they would handle the 750 lbs of each X2 so I will stick with the factory units. :dunno:

Jim

dmnc02 09-10-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 361897)
I thought about trying them on my MBL's after hearing a lot of good things about them but never got around to it. I am not sure how they would handle the 750 lbs of each X2 so I will stick with the factory units. :dunno:

Jim

I have not tried the Stillpoints under my speakers and so I have no idea of how well they perform in that application. However, weight should not be a concern. Even the cheapest Ultra's (the now-discontinued Aluminum) can handle 500 lbs per foot and they have adapters for using the Ultra 5's under pianos: a concert grand weighs well in excess of 750 lbs.

Still-One 09-10-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmnc02 (Post 361906)
I have not tried the Stillpoints under my speakers and so I have no idea of how well they perform in that application. However, weight should not be a concern. Even the cheapest Ultra's (the now-discontinued Aluminum) can handle 500 lbs per foot and they have adapters for using the Ultra 5's under pianos: a concert grand weighs well in excess of 750 lbs.

Interesting. Thanks.
Jim

C2300MC275 09-10-2012 02:37 PM

Have them under my focal maestros - a massive upgrade that you would not believe. I recently moved house and set up my kit in a new room. I had not installed the stillpoints as I was adjusting the speaker positioning. The system sounded muddy and I could not figure what was up. I was getting annoyed with the new room thinking it was awful. I put the stillpoints back on when at the point of thinking that I was going to need some room treatments and everything snapped back into focus. The floor in the new room was less than ideal - floorboards that were resonating. I assume that the stillpoints decoupled them from the floor. I would strongly suggest an audition. The ultra 5s are even better - audition at your wallets peril :)

turntable 09-11-2012 11:00 PM

Well I have ordered some Ultra SS's with the Wilson adaptors. The Wilson spikes are just under 1.5 inches and the Ultra SS are 1.5 inches, so no real change in height.

I will put them under my monoblock amps first, then the Maxx3's and and see which one I prefer.

should be a bit of fun.

Jerome W 09-12-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable
Well I have ordered some Ultra SS's with the Wilson adaptors. The Wilson spikes are just under 1.5 inches and the Ultra SS are 1.5 inches, so no real change in height.

I will put them under my monoblock amps first, then the Maxx3's and and see which one I prefer.

should be a bit of fun.

Shane, I will read your conclusions with a high interest !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Still-One 09-12-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 362839)
Shane, I will read your conclusions with a high interest !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

+1