AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Steve (SL1800) hangin' with Buck and Mark in the Southeast (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47018)

audioguy3107 11-10-2019 07:43 PM

Steve (SL1800) hangin' with Buck and Mark in the Southeast

So Steve, a member of the RMAF gang, in his ever present quest to hear fine audio systems, has taken the plunge, flown out of Dallas, TX in a journey here to us fine folk here in the southeast US. We tried to gather a couple of other members (Rob from Rhode Island whose brother lives here in Atlanta and Jim (WeirdCuba) but it didn't pan out due to travel/work.....the important things in life of course :D. Anyway, Steve has arrived (I told him to fly into Greenville/Spartanburg so he could hang with Mark, check out Asheville, NC and also since I live on the NE side of Atlanta so he doesn't have to deal with the mass of humanity that passes through Atlanta Hartsfield airport). I'll let him chime in with his journey so far, but hopefully he's gonna check out some systems including Mark's Legacy/Esoteric setup, the D'agostino/Avalon Acoustics/DCS system of yours truly along with some Atlanta exploration including a trip to meet the good guys at Hifi Buys and maybe even the Audio Co. of Atlanta who always are toting the big Von Schweikerts to the audio shows. I'll try and feed him well and take good care of him as long as he's nice to my wife and kids. :D Stay tuned for some cool audio pictures along the way.

- Buck

Antonmb 11-10-2019 08:41 PM

Wonderful! I’m looking forward to reading more about Steve’s adventures, and seeing pictures of course. Meanwhile the PNW contingent of the RMAF crew (Marc, Ed and I) is getting together Wednesday for dinner and to here the Wilson Chronosonic XVX at Definitive AV in Seattle.

audioguy3107 11-10-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 985309)
Wonderful! I’m looking forward to reading more about Steve’s adventures, and seeing pictures of course. Meanwhile the PNW contingent of the RMAF crew (Marc, Ed and I) is getting together Wednesday for dinner and to here the Wilson Chronosonic XVX at Definitive AV in Seattle.

Tony - Yeah, that's gonna be an event, I would assume they're going to sound great....the usual caveat being they better sound great for that price. I'm gonna be curious to hear you guys' opinions as to what you hear vs. your systems vs. the difference in cost. As far as the Atlanta trip, I'd like to go over to The Audio Company and see if they have that insane state of the art Von Schweikert system set up that they take all over the country....I think it retails close to $1.5 million if not more. Those guys seen a little standoff-ish but it would be worth the trip. I'll let Steve comment on Mark's Legacy Audio system, I was thinking about meeting them up there tonight after work but figured I better not press my luck with the wife and kids!

- Buck

Weirdcuba 11-10-2019 09:41 PM

Unfortunately, I’m the one with the work/travel conflict and am missing out on all of the fun. I’ll be in lovely and frigidly cold Grand Rapids, Michigan on Tuesday. Next time ....

W9TR 11-10-2019 10:02 PM

Grand Rapids? I’m so sorry. ;}

Antonmb 11-10-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 985318)
Grand Rapids, Michigan...

[emoji33]

For The Love of Music 11-10-2019 11:11 PM

No excuses! Play it!

mulveling 11-11-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 985316)
Tony - Yeah, that's gonna be an event, I would assume they're going to sound great....the usual caveat being they better sound great for that price. I'm gonna be curious to hear you guys' opinions as to what you hear vs. your systems vs. the difference in cost. As far as the Atlanta trip, I'd like to go over to The Audio Company and see if they have that insane state of the art Von Schweikert system set up that they take all over the country....I think it retails close to $1.5 million if not more. Those guys seen a little standoff-ish but it would be worth the trip. I'll let Steve comment on Mark's Legacy Audio system, I was thinking about meeting them up there tonight after work but figured I better not press my luck with the wife and kids!

- Buck

The Audio Company is my dealer of choice, and I live just down the block from them. They're good guys. Yes I can see the impression of standoff-ish-ness at first; there are a lot of time wasters in this hobby and IMO this is a result of that. They are generally NOT hob-nobbers. But I really appreciate having a relationship with them - an honest no-bullshit dealer is worth a lot more to me than one that falsely pretends to be my buddy or acts like an artificially super-nice guy. Once a relationship is built it's really nice to have access to hearing all these kinds of amazing gear.

I was in there just the other day to pick up some VAC 200iQ amps. There was a quad of those insane vertical VAC Statement amps (452 MusicBlocs?) and some big Von Schweikerts in the main showroom, but I'm not sure if they were the super-big ones or not. I mostly tune-out that level of gear because it's well above my pay grade lol.

SL1800 11-12-2019 09:34 AM

Hi guys. I made it to Mark’s place (SCAudiophile) on Sunday, my first time to meet Mark in person, super nice guy. We had a great evening jamming to his system and enjoyed Mark’s mastery of the BBQ grill.

Spent some time Monday checking out some local sights then drove down to Bucks that evening. More to come with pics and impressions of these two awesome systems.

For The Love of Music 11-12-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 985401)
Hi guys. I made it to Mark’s place (SCAudiophile) on Sunday, my first time to meet Mark in person, super nice guy. We had a great evening jamming to his system and enjoyed Mark’s mastery of the BBQ grill.

Spent some time Monday checking out some local sights then drove down to Bucks that evening. More to come with pics and impressions of these two awesome systems.

Great, have some fun, look forward to hearing back from you.