AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ModWright Instruments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   New ModWright Oppo BDP-105 review from TAS (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28890)

JJinID 11-05-2014 03:24 PM

New ModWright Oppo BDP-105 review from TAS

Nice to see another positive review for a fantastic universal player:

Modwright-Oppo BDP-105 with Truth Modifications

Joe Appierto 11-06-2014 05:53 AM

Thank you JJ for linking this review. A good number of years ago I purchased the ModWright RAM CD25 (a modified Music Hall CD25 sold by Response Audio) and thought it bettered, in some ways, my Oppo 95 purchased 10 years later. Currently I have the stock 105D and reviews such as this are a serious temptation. :yes:

rbbert 11-06-2014 11:00 AM

There are several more improvements to the Modwright 105 that the reviewer did not use (or take advantage of). There are several better sounding 6SN7 tube types that sound better than the Sophias. There are also the Bybee and Audio Magic mods offered by Dan (and mentioned in the review)

JJinID 11-06-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbbert (Post 648696)
There are several more improvements to the Modwright 105 that the reviewer did not use (or take advantage of). There are several better sounding 6SN7 tube types that sound better than the Sophias. There are also the Bybee and Audio Magic mods offered by Dan (and mentioned in the review)

Great points that I noticed also - not sure why the reviewer did not include the other mods considering it is now his reference digital player. It would have made the review even more stellar!

I'm still using the Sophias with mine but intend to branch out to other NOS 6SN7 tubes when time and budget allows.

rbbert 11-06-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 648711)
...I'm still using the Sophias with mine but intend to branch out to other NOS 6SN7 tubes when time and budget allows.

You won't be disappointed! Almost any of the 1940's VT-231's will beat them (at a cost). One problem with NOS 6SN7's is that they can be microphonic, especially a problem in the Oppo with its moving parts. Buy from a reputable vendor with a good return policy. audiotubes.com, tctubes.com, tubeworld.com are some but there are a number of other good ones as well.

lloydelee21 11-06-2014 08:42 PM

FWIW,

i had an insanely microphonic Jan Philipps 6922...you could clap from 3 feet away and actually hear it come thru the speakers!!! I added an EAT tube damper for 19 bucks...and it actually disappeared! Not sure if that would work every time, but it sure worked in that instance!

rbbert 11-06-2014 09:42 PM

I think it makes more sense to return the tube for a new one. Although the better tube vendors will try to screen for microphonics, especially if you ask them to, sometimes these old tubes will "go microphonic" in shipment. The vendors I mentioned have all taken back tubes for full refund, no questions asked.

C2300MC275 11-12-2014 04:36 PM

As an oppo 105d owner, I wonder whether this conversion or the oppo spdif to Elyse dac is the way to go?

doggiehowser 11-12-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C2300MC275 (Post 650340)
As an oppo 105d owner, I wonder whether this conversion or the oppo spdif to Elyse dac is the way to go?

It depends on what you are using.

For unencrypted DVDA, PCM playback from USB drives and from PC audio, the SPDIF will pass through the full resolution.

But SPDIF can't output DSD from PC or USB drives. Or DSD from SACDs. Or Blu-ray Discs. The encryption in BDs mean it would be limited to 48kHz even if the source material was 96 or 192.

C2300MC275 11-13-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 650363)
It depends on what you are using.

For unencrypted DVDA, PCM playback from USB drives and from PC audio, the SPDIF will pass through the full resolution.

But SPDIF can't output DSD from PC or USB drives. Or DSD from SACDs. Or Blu-ray Discs. The encryption in BDs mean it would be limited to 48kHz even if the source material was 96 or 192.

Ah yes. Very true. Most of my listening is PCM. Not bothered about dsd downloads really or bluray music.

Let me reframe my question - what would be better for PCM - oppo conversion or spdif to Eylse?