AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Infinity Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Whaddya got? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27477)

crwilli 07-09-2014 10:18 PM

Whaddya got?

I am interested to see how many servo heads are out there. Please post here with what Infinity equipment you have. Probably mostly speakers but maybe not if you are deep into it. They did make some other equipment.

I have second owner vintage 1983 RSIIa's stock with only new surrounds done by the Harman service center in Hong Kong in 1997. I have a set of IRS Betas also stock with unknown provenance but which are in great condition. They are of 1990 vintage. I also have a set of Harman group Revel F52's which are really the only other high end speaker I have ever heard routinely.

Without a doubt, the Betas, while fussy to set up, are the best I have heard save the Aida's at "you know where". I have heard an 'injured' set of IRS V's at the supplier of my Betas home. One side low end was not working and replaced with a servo controlled genesis sub. Even still, they sounded incredible. I just don't have a big enough room for them!!!

lwschwartz 07-09-2014 11:00 PM

I am enjoying the IRS V's. I have two sets across the front. I have completely rebuilt them with some help from the original design engineers and with a semi retired engineer who all have been a tremendous help. One of the sets had to be re-veneered. Any one who wants some pointers on who I have found to be the best at the various restoration projects, pm me and I will send you their contact info. None of them are dealers, in fact most of them are semi-retired but they are kind enough to help when they can. As best as I can ascertain, there were less than 60 sets of IRS V's made and less than 40 are still in existence. Hopefully, we can attract them to our AA community which, in my opinion, is the best out there.

Thanks again to Ivan for this forum and enjoy your Infinity's.

AudioGremlin 07-10-2014 10:24 AM

My RS1b's are still providing good music. Manley Neo-Classic 250's at the top and Classe CA-M300 for the bass. Modified a bit by running the high pass caps out of the servo unit for more transparency also the added advantage of choosing separate bass & mid/top interconnects. Also the mid/high panels are modified to bi-wired. I love the Infinity sound.

zadfrak 07-10-2014 05:40 PM

4.5's here.

Owned them since 1982. You can rest assured I've purchased some EMIM's through the years.

crwilli 07-10-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwschwartz (Post 622419)
...As best as I can ascertain, there were less than 60 sets of IRS V's made and less than 40 are still in existence. Hopefully, we can attract them to our AA community which, in my opinion, is the best out there. Thanks again to Ivan for this forum and enjoy your Infinity's.

I know of three others. Paul McGowan's of PS Audio, the seller of my Betas and AA member Garyprotein They are truly special.

crwilli 07-10-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioGremlin (Post 622472)
My RS1b's are still providing good music. Manley Neo-Classic 250's at the top and Classe CA-M300 for the bass. Modified a bit by running the high pass caps out of the servo unit for more transparency also the added advantage of choosing separate bass & mid/top interconnects. Also the mid/high panels are modified to bi-wired. I love the Infinity sound.

I have never heard the RS1b's but would like to. The seller of my Betas has multiple sets of them!

Have you ever thought about updating the capacitors in the crossovers? I am thinking of making that my winter project with my RSIIa's.

But I would be simply copying what I can read online as I am not an electrician - don't even know what a capacitor does...

Masterlu 07-10-2014 08:05 PM

zadfrak... Welcome to AA! :wave:

AudioGremlin 07-14-2014 06:47 PM

Hi crwilli,
I've not really considered changing the crossover caps in the mid/treble units. Doing so might possibly upset the tonal balance & I don't want to take that risk. They sound fine at the moment I'll let it be.
My main concern is for the bass servo unit, it can be replaced by a more modern crossover unit but it then looses the servo function. I do have a schematic (thats not very accurate) and electronic skills so I could effect repairs if necessary but with an ever ageing unit continued reliability is not a strong point.

Garth 07-14-2014 08:14 PM

I have a pair QLS since new mid 70s and they need a new home

crwilli 07-14-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioGremlin (Post 623585)
Hi crwilli, I've not really considered changing the crossover caps in the mid/treble units. Doing so might possibly upset the tonal balance & I don't want to take that risk. They sound fine at the moment I'll let it be. My main concern is for the bass servo unit, it can be replaced by a more modern crossover unit but it then looses the servo function. I do have a schematic (thats not very accurate) and electronic skills so I could effect repairs if necessary but with an ever ageing unit continued reliability is not a strong point.

i am with you on the crossovers. Just opened mine up for a visual inspection and all looked good. The wonder caps etc were all solid. Having run my betas without the servo via the MEN220 for a while, I am now back to the servo unit. It gives me more flexibility to raise or lower the contour and bass level which I find useful. IRSBeta as much as said the same thing by using an external crossover and NHT volume controller for the low end. Lots to think about but I am as you say, letting it lay for now.