AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   What would you replace with SF Elipsa Speakers ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19262)

Bluemcintosh 02-13-2013 03:21 PM

What would you replace with SF Elipsa Speakers ?

Hi,

I think I have a buyer for my Elipsa speakers and looking for a replacement .

Want to hear some recommendation from you guys.

This is what I have :

McIntosh C2300 Preamp + MC 601's + MC275's + Harbeth M40.1 ( will still remains ) + JL Audio F113 .

I do listen to Jazz , Classical and vocal most of time.

Any input would be appreciated. So far I'm thinking couple of them.

Dynaudio C4 SIG, WilsonAudio Sasha ( i know the resin cabinet thing but I kind of liked it when I audition them last time. ) and Kharma DB9 ( Like them but worrying about the resale value... )

Thanks in advance.

chessman 02-13-2013 03:53 PM

Ideally, you should hear them for yourself. My vote would be Wilson Sasha, but that should not sway you. Once you get to a certain level (you're already there) the differences are entirely personal preference. Buy the speaker that is emotionally moving to you. :)

mbovaird 02-13-2013 03:55 PM

Paul - how big is your room again?

I'm in a similar boat. What kind of budget are you looking at?

My short list is: Rhaido, Magico Q5, Rockport, DynAudio C4 II Sig, Wilson Alexandria, SF Futura and now, a used pair of Aida's. You should at least go see Angie at Audio Corner in Richmond Hill to have a listen to a few things - including the Aida's. Angie is terrific and super knowledgeable. Heck man, you live my old hometown, there isn't anything you can't go hear.

Mike

mbovaird 02-13-2013 04:04 PM

Paul - can you make it to the Audio Show next month in Montreal? I might be going. We can stop in at Schwartz's for a Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich after a day of listening!

Mike

Bluemcintosh 02-13-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 444424)
Ideally, you should hear them for yourself. My vote would be Wilson Sasha, but that should not sway you. Once you get to a certain level (you're already there) the differences are entirely personal preference. Buy the speaker that is emotionally moving to you. :)

Hi Randy , Definitely I would listen to them before making a decision . I just don't want to miss the opportunity to listen to what's out there.

Bluemcintosh 02-13-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 444426)
Paul - how big is your room again?

I'm in a similar boat. What kind of budget are you looking at?

My short list is: Rhaido, Magico Q5, Rockport, DynAudio C4 II Sig, Wilson Alexandria, SF Futura and now, a used pair of Aida's. You should at least go see Angie at Audio Corner in Richmond Hill to have a listen to a few things - including the Aida's. Angie is terrific and super knowledgeable. Heck man, you live my old hometown, there isn't anything you can't go hear.

Mike

Mike, What happen to your Strads ? Did you sell them ? if not maybe you can bring them to Montreal and I will buy off from you :)

My room is pretty small. 14 x 15 with Diamond shape. my budget is around $ 10 to $ 30 K. at least you guys have a nice used market but in here NOTHING. sigh.....

mbovaird 02-13-2013 04:32 PM

Paul - I sold them (and miss them). I am listening to my SF Mementos now and love them....but I am looking.

14 x 15 is ok. With your budget and room, it would be a toss up between Sonus Faber Futuras and DynAudio C4 II Sigs. There is a stereo shop in Vaughn (I forget the name) and he has a pair of C4 II sigs. I heard them this past summer. WOW. Very nice indeed.

Mike

Bluemcintosh 02-13-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 444446)
Paul - I sold them (and miss them). I am listening to my SF Mementos now and love them....but I am looking.

14 x 15 is ok. With your budget and room, it would be a toss up between Sonus Faber Futuras and DynAudio C4 II Sigs. There is a stereo shop in Vaughn (I forget the name) and he has a pair of C4 II sigs. I heard them this past summer. WOW. Very nice indeed.

Mike

That store is Audio Excellence however when I got there they only had a C2 sig.

Anybody have an experience with Thiel 3.7 ?

mbovaird 02-13-2013 04:43 PM

Right...that's it. The owner is a terrific guy.

Thiel...hmmm....interesting. Good stuff.

Paul - what about the Revel Salon 2's? They're excellent and in your price range.

Mike

Bluemcintosh 02-13-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 444453)
Right...that's it. The owner is a terrific guy.

Thiel...hmmm....interesting. Good stuff.

Paul - what about the Revel Salon 2's? They're excellent and in your price range.

Mike

http://www.stereophile.com/images/ar...rt/1208thi.jpg

http://www.stereophile.com/images/ar...t/1208thi2.jpg

When I heard them 2 yrs ago their Mid and High was so beautiful but didn't like the bottom end however now I have a F113 so I might be ok with it.

Revel Salon 2's.... Didn't you say even the MC 2301's wasn't make them sing ?

Also If I remember correctly you had with 1.2 as well. Didnt you ?