AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DirectStream DAC (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44399)

MAXDOG923 11-19-2018 05:57 PM

DirectStream DAC

With the recent great discount on this DAC, I can't help but wonder if there is a new one in the pipeline.
Seems a huge discount for a manufacturer to offer, unless they are clearing stock for a new model.
Am I just blowing smoke, or is there a new model in the near future?

Want to buy a DAC very soon, but would prefer the newest technology.

Thanks,

Masterlu 11-19-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXDOG923 (Post 941151)
With the recent great discount on this DAC, I can't help but wonder if there is a new one in the pipeline.
Seems a huge discount for a manufacturer to offer, unless they are clearing stock for a new model.
Am I just blowing smoke, or is there a new model in the near future?

Want to buy a DAC very soon, but would prefer the newest technology.

Thanks,

There is a new DAC coming but it will be many times the price of this one. :whistle:

BTW: I am even beating PS Audio’s direct deal (this week only)

DVass13 11-19-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 941152)
There is a new DAC coming but it will be many times the price of this one. :whistle:

It seems as though my interest has been piqued...

audio bill 11-19-2018 10:11 PM

Read on the PS forum that the expected price of their new Signature DAC is likely ~$20K but since the design is not finalized that's just a guess. It will have two chassis with an optical connection between them.

EfeTe 11-19-2018 10:46 PM

Yes Ted Smith's Signature -will be pricey and take many months if not 1 year + before it hits the stores. The DSD at the kind of deal Ivan can do for you sounds a great proposition, plus you can play with the firmware versions as PSA continues offering them (free of charge), which all but delays the obsolescence process.

timm 11-20-2018 12:31 AM

This product just keeps getting better and better. TAS just had a big digital review - and onthe two basic DAC reviews - both reviewers compared the dacs to their own DS - the junior and the senior. In one case, the manufacturer response seemed pretty miffed as the reviewer went on and on about the Directstream’s attributes. And that was with Redcloud - the prior release. Lol

btn2803 11-20-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timm (Post 941212)
This product just keeps getting better and better. TAS just had a big digital review - and onthe two basic DAC reviews - both reviewers compared the dacs to their own DS - the junior and the senior. In one case, the manufacturer response seemed pretty miffed as the reviewer went on and on about the Directstream’s attributes. And that was with Redcloud - the prior release. Lol

Because of the great reviews from this forum and others, I took advantage of the great promo offer from Ivan and bought one; should be receiving this weekend. Can't wait to try it!

Few newbie questions:
* I heard that DS DAC needs to be burned-in for an extensive period of time (~400-500 hours) before it is optimal. Can I let it run non-stop 24/7 for 3 weeks?
* Would the burn-in process work if I simply stream music from a laptop connected to the DAC via USB without turning on the Amp/Pre-amp?
* Is a SD Card 4 Gb size adequate for download/upload?

Thanks.

JMD 11-20-2018 09:26 PM

Yes to all three.

Poppyhome 11-20-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn2803 (Post 941312)
Few newbie questions:
* I heard that DS DAC needs to be burned-in for an extensive period of time (~400-500 hours) before it is optimal. Can I let it run non-stop 24/7 for 3 weeks?
* Would the burn-in process work if I simply stream music from a laptop connected to the DAC via USB without turning on the Amp/Pre-amp?
* Is a SD Card 4 Gb size adequate for download/upload?

Thanks.

Yes, you can run it non stop 24/7. Don't fret so much about the break-in time, you might not hear much difference after 100 hours or so. Some do some don't.

Yes, the DS just needs to be playing music and the Amp/Preamp does not be on.

A 2GB SD is recommended. A 4GB SD may or may not work.

Enjoy the DAC. :music:

Ron

btn2803 11-20-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD (Post 941316)
Yes to all three.

Thanks! :thumbsup: