AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Best Upgrade(s) This Year (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37821)

salamander 12-02-2016 09:06 PM

Best Upgrade(s) This Year

As the year draws to a close, I thought it would be interesting to find out what upgrades members made this year that have had the most impact on the sound quality of their systems. For me, there were a couple. First, putting Stillpoints Ultra SS under my speakers and second, plugging a Furutech Flux-50 filter into my P10 regenerator. I was floored by the dramatic improvement in sound quality resulting from these two relatively simple improvements.

The wonderful service provided by Ivan in facilitating these upgrades was icing on the cake!

gaboudreaux 12-02-2016 09:14 PM

My system has gone through some changes this year. I would say the best upgrade this year has been moving from Ayre 5 series to Ayre R Twenty series followed by adding the Aurender N10. I'm installing Stillpoints Ultra Mini's under my gear and Ultra SS's under my speakers in the next few days, so I'll see what improvement that brings.

jameslrock 12-02-2016 09:32 PM

This took a bit of reflection and I am not sure I have recalled it all. For 2016 the best part has been the friendships with many of you on this site. I especially enjoyed the visit at Audio Classics and staying with Craig (crwilli) and playing golf with Craig and his cousin. Craig and Debbie are the best. I appreciate Dan for the Crown tuner and of course Ivan for making the best parts of my system possible. As for equipment, for the main system it has been the VPI Classic Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Black, and Synchronous Drive System, the addition of two JL Audio Fathom F113V2s and Barry Ober of JL Audio coming to the house to set up and also the full set of Stillpoints for the speakers and electronics. Also the complete refurbishment plus new front glass for the vintage (1976) office system by Audio Classics. I am enjoying music in each room more than ever. I am thankful and blessed. But most of all I am thankful that after a few years of searching, Carmen and I have joined a Church that we love. I wonder what will happen in 2017? :)

Weirdcuba 12-02-2016 09:53 PM

Dumping the accuphase dp900/dc901 combo (for mega bucks, that didn't play DSD), and replacing it with silenzio and ps audio direct stream, for a fraction of the cost. More functionality and exponentially better sound.

crwilli 12-02-2016 11:28 PM

Best Upgrade(s) This Year

Adding Jim's (Weirdcuba) MC2301's, placing my Strads in THE spot (Mic drop) and adding a P10 along the WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker wires to complete the 'loom'. Oh and I added a Furutech Flux 50 into my PPP for all sources but not sure it really was an upgrade.

And having Dave (Mikado463), Ari (AJDO) and Jim (jameslrock) visit my room and each offer helpful tidbits that have made it better.

crwilli 12-02-2016 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 817236)
Dumping the accuphase dp900/dc901 combo (for mega bucks, that didn't play DSD), and replacing it with silenzio and ps audio direct stream, for a fraction of the cost. More functionality and exponentially better sound.

At least a positive ending. ;)

Antonmb 12-03-2016 01:32 AM

Upgrading my speakers this summer from SF Cremona Auditor Ms to Amati Futuras has taken my system from very nice to giving me goosebumps. Adding a couple of strategically placed acoustic panels and a nice Persian rug with a thick pad were icing on the cake.

doggiehowser 12-03-2016 01:58 AM

Best upgrade for me - and it was FREE. The new Torreys OS for my DirectStream DAC.

Chad.Wagner 12-03-2016 02:58 AM

Shunyata Sigma power chords replacing WireWorld Silver Electra 7. I would not have believed they would make this kind of an improvement. I am shocked.

bigblue 12-03-2016 05:03 AM

My venture into "vinyl country" and buying a Brinkmann Bardo turntable.