AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Conrad-Johnson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11012)

microstrip 01-02-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 245423)
Is it a big deal to convert a Premier 350 from 230V to 120V by Conrad Johnson?

Not a big deal, but you have to know how to do it. I did the opposite a few years ago. You have two transformers to re-wire - as far as I remember there is a smaller one behind the faceplate that powers the switch-on relays and control system. It was not easy to find!

joeinid 01-02-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microstrip

Not a big deal, but you have to know how to do it. I did the opposite a few years ago. You have two transformers to re-wire - as far as I remember there is a smaller one behind the faceplate that powers the switch-on relays and control system. It was not easy to find!

Hi,

Thanks. I would just have CJ do it. I think the price is too high, but I am waiting for photos. I'll see if he comes down on price.

jeffreybehre 02-19-2012 03:52 PM

I'm hoping :scratch2:
...after underpowering my V'steen 5Bs for most of the 2 years I've had them, that the sounds of the McCormack DNA-750s will be really close to those of the 350.

dpod4 02-19-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreybehr
I'm hoping :scratch2:
...after underpowering my V'steen 5Bs for most of the 2 years I've had them, that the sounds of the McCormack DNA-750s will be really close to those of the 350.

I heard Steve McCormack does upgrades too to where they go to an even higher level.

CDLehner 02-19-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpod4 (Post 271031)
I heard Steve McCormack does upgrades too to where they go to an even higher level.

I have to admit, this kinda makes Steve an audiophile hero in my book...lol. It's kinda like he's saying "look guys...you know the deal; reality is we have to use certain parts, in order to hit a certain price point. And now...C-J has the brand, and there's no way they're going to let it outclass their namesake. But I stand by the design...so if you own something of mine, and want...I'll really unleash it, with parts we couldn't possibly spec and still sell it for what we originally did".

Am I reading too much into that? lol...that's the way I take it. I tell ya...for what they cost you on the used market, I'd take an RLD-1 and DNA-225, and let SMc spruce them up for me in a heartbeat.

dpod4 02-19-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner

I have to admit, this kinda makes Steve an audiophile hero in my book...lol. It's kinda like he's saying "look guys...you know the deal; reality is we have to use certain parts, in order to hit a certain price point. And now...C-J has the brand, and there's no way they're going to let it outclass their namesake. But I stand by the design...so if you own something of mine, and want...I'll really unleash it, with parts we couldn't possibly spec and still sell it for what we originally did".

Am I reading too much into that? lol...that's the way I take it. I tell ya...for what they cost you on the used market, I'd take an RLD-1 and DNA-225, and let SMc spruce them up for me in a heartbeat.

We are very lucky in the US to have exceptional brands competing for our dollars!

turntable 03-10-2012 01:48 AM

If someone wants to buy a prem 350' get over to audio asylum before it's gone

conrad-johnson Premier 350SA ... 350 poweramp - Audio Asylum Trader

Puma Cat 03-10-2012 01:52 AM

Cr*p, it's local pickup only in New Hampshire....

Urg.

turntable 03-10-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 280989)
Cr*p, it's local pickup only in New Hampshire....

Urg.

Road trip :banana:

joeinid 03-10-2012 02:04 AM

I sent an email. Let us see what happens. ;)

turntable 03-10-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 281000)
I sent an email. Let us see what happens. ;)

The quick and dead :uzi:

joeinid 03-10-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 281010)
The quick and dead :uzi:

It's still a 300 mile drive (one way) and who knows if someone else was quicker. :scratch2:

CDLehner 03-10-2012 09:46 AM

I'm sorry; I must be wayyy too cynical...but isn't this scam 101, sort of akin to the exiled King's ransom and such? The widow selling gear (and the popular variation of scorned divorced gal selling gear) is pretty common isn't it?

I know it's a heart-felt story (isn't that the whole point), and I'd feel like rather a sh*t-heel if it's true; but c'mon...blind deposit, ahead of local pick-up...and this well-to-doer at AA has no feedback?

Like I said; guess I'm the cynic of the group? :no:

Rayooo 03-10-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 281049)
I'm sorry; I must be wayyy too cynical...but isn't this scam 101, sort of akin to the exiled King's ransom and such? The widow selling gear (and the popular variation of scorned divorced gal selling gear) is pretty common isn't it?

I know it's a heart-felt story (isn't that the whole point), and I'd feel like rather a sh*t-heel if it's true; but c'mon...blind deposit, ahead of local pick-up...and this well-to-doer at AA has no feedback?

it does rather make one say "hummmmm"

not a fun road trip, after sending a deposit, then arriving at a vacant lot as the pickup address. :tears:

Joe Appierto 03-10-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayooo (Post 281060)
it does rather make one say "hummmmm"

not a fun road trip, after sending a deposit, then arriving at a vacant lot as the pickup address. :tears:

You can always use Google Earth to check out the address ahead of time. :yes:

joeinid 03-10-2012 10:57 AM

I'll show you a picture of it next weekend ;)

CDLehner 03-10-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 281068)
I'll show you a picture of it next weekend ;)

What's that mean exactly Joe?

joeinid 03-10-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

What's that mean exactly Joe?

I think it's mine. More to come. I don't think It's a scam.

CDLehner 03-10-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 281180)
I think it's mine. More to come. I don't think It's a scam.

Great news! I hope I'm wrong; not only does it restore my faith in humanity...but you get a great amp in the process. :D

joeinid 03-10-2012 03:18 PM

Fingers crossed.

Rafale 03-10-2012 04:19 PM

superJoe :thumbsup:

joeinid 03-10-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafale
superJoe :thumbsup:

I should be back in the CJ camp with a Premier 350. Yes! I'll post a photo when I can.

joeinid 03-10-2012 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pr 350

turntable 03-10-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 281049)

Yes you are.

Do some simple research. Jeff Behr is a well respected member of audio asylum and has a long history of owning cj gear. He certainly would not mention Ed's name at cj if it was not legit. I for one had no reason to second guess the add and that is why I posted it here so a fellow cj lover could enjoy it.

turntable 03-10-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 281265)
Pr 350

Is that a photo in your room? :banana:

Great to see a cj lover snapped it up.

joeinid 03-10-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 281272)
Is that a photo in your room? :banana:

Great to see a cj lover snapped it up.

Hi Shane,

This is the one for sale that I am buying. It's not my room. I should be able to pick it up next week from the seller. :banana: Hasn't been used in 4 years so I will have to make sure all is well before firing it up for the first time.

Joe

joeinid 03-10-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 281184)
Great news! I hope I'm wrong; not only does it restore my faith in humanity...but you get a great amp in the process. :D

Chris,

It's real, OMG! it's legit. Come to papa......

Joe

Puma Cat 03-10-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 281275)
Hi Shane,

This is the one for sale that I am buying. I should be able to pick it up next week from the seller. :banana: Hasn't been used in 4 years so I will have to make sure all is well before firing it up for the first time.

Joe

Excellent. If and when you decide to part with it, give me a shout.

joeinid 03-10-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 281304)
Excellent. If and when you decide to part with it, give me a shout.

Line forms to the right for this piece as well. :D Seriously, God works in mysterious ways my friend. I think I owe Shane a big hug. :hug: :thumbsup: Hopefully next Saturday, I will meet the seller and pick it up. :banana: I can't wait to hear it on the CR-1's (after suitable testing on lesser speakers, of course).

Ritmo 03-10-2012 07:04 PM

Joe,

You are having one heck of a week! Nice pick up.

Mike

CDLehner 03-10-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 281269)
Yes you are.

Do some simple research. Jeff Behr is a well respected member of audio asylum and has a long history of owning cj gear. He certainly would not mention Ed's name at cj if it was not legit. I for one had no reason to second guess the add and that is why I posted it here so a fellow cj lover could enjoy it.

I absolutely meant no offense. I don't know Jeff Behr, or Asylum at all...so I was just speaking in general. "Divorce" and "widow"-sales are common scams, on Craigslist and such. You've seen the ads: "don't know what this is...it was my late/ex husband's; it's really heavy and says Krell on it"...lol.

Plus...I've been trading used gear for quite some time...close to 10 years or so; granted, probably not as long as some of you...but I've NEVER seen a deposit ahead of local pick-up. But I'm obviously glad it worked out for Joe...and jealous...and again, didn't mean to disparage anyone personally.

CDLehner 03-10-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 281282)
Chris,

It's real, OMG! it's legit. Come to papa......

Joe

Great Joe; all is right with the world. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought those speakers in the White Van? :scratch2:

joeinid 03-10-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritmo (Post 281324)
Joe,

You are having one heck of a week! Nice pick up.

Mike

Yes I am Mike! Pinch me, I hope I am not dreaming. Maybe I should pick some numbers tonight for the lottery. I AM ON FIRE!!!!

Time to reload :uzi:

Ritmo 03-10-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 281336)
Yes I am Mike! Pinch me, I hope I am not dreaming. Maybe I should pick some numbers tonight for the lottery. I AM ON FIRE!!!!

Time to reload :uzi:

:lmao:

joeinid 03-10-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 281335)
Great Joe; all is right with the world. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought those speakers in the White Van? :scratch2:

Chris,

I almost blew it off myself, but have been rolling the dice lately and all I say is, 7 come 11, baby needs new shoes. Boo Ya!

You are correct in being cautious. I see the aftermath of "bad deals" in my line of work and it's not pretty. So, trust but verify. :yes:

ps Stay away from the white vans, no matter what!

Joe

turntable 03-10-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 281333)
I absolutely meant no offense. I don't know Jeff Behr, or Asylum at all...so I was just speaking in general. "Divorce" and "widow"-sales are common scams, on Craigslist and such. You've seen the ads: "don't know what this is...it was my late/ex husband's; it's really heavy and says Krell on it"...lol.

Plus...I've been trading used gear for quite some time...close to 10 years or so; granted, probably not as long as some of you...but I've NEVER seen a deposit ahead of local pick-up. But I'm obviously glad it worked out for Joe...and jealous...and again, didn't mean to disparage anyone personally.

That is kool. no problems at all. I would not have posted it here if I had any doubts in my mind.

Anyway, all good for Joe :thumbsup:

Cheers

joeinid 03-11-2012 03:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one more :drool:

CDLehner 03-11-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 281622)
one more :drool:

Is she also selling that Bryston? :scratch2:

joeinid 03-11-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Is she also selling that Bryston? :scratch2:

I'll have to ask. I don't think so.

cmalak 03-11-2012 10:44 AM

Joe...great pick up. I will also be in line if you decide not to keep it. It may make sense to have it sent to CJ to have it checked out if it has not been used in 4 years. Enjoy it :thumbsup: