AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition - First Impressions (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2985)

jdandy 12-19-2009 09:49 PM

Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition - First Impressions

I installed the Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition in the surround sound system this afternoon. I left the other Oppo BDP-83 in place so that I could do a comparison between its Cirrus Logic DAC's (1 per channel), and the ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's (4 per channel) in the BDP-83 Special Edition. The audition took some time because I had to switch the six analog cables between the two players each time to listen to the other player. It is a little more difficult than just switching to another input with the remote. Keep in mind, to be using the DAC's you must be using the analog outputs.

I began by listening to the Oppo BDP-83 first, then the same tunes played again on the Oppo BDP-83SE. I played four different SACD surround sound tracks, Ladysmith Black Mamabzo - "Wenyukela (Raise Your Spirit Higher)", Junior Wells - "Why Are People Like That", Spyro Gyra - "Funky Tina", and Tierney Sutton - "I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face".

The BDP-83, with its Cirrus Logic DAC's is an excellent performer, but in direct comparison with the BDP-83 Special Edition it has to take a back seat. During direct comparison, song for song, the BDP-83SE produced a more accurate 3 dimensional sound with spectacular dynamics, clear definition, and truthful musical timber galore. By comparison, the BDP-83 sounded flatter, less dynamic, without the well defined space and air that every instrument and voice shined in on the BDP-83SE. The Special Edition effortlessly produced that unique sense of a live performance, with deep, rich lows that were tight and well defined, a smooth, accurate and alluring midrange, with the highest frequencies revealing themselves without glare or edge, no matter what volume level I chose. I found myself easing the volume up, and up again to very health levels. At no point did any of the four different SACD performaces sound stressed, or present even a hint of irritating sharp edge. The dynamic slam of drums, lead bass riffs, harmonica and horns recreated the full mastery of each performance. The sound stage was wide, deep, and completely stable at all volume levels. Listening to the BDP-83 against the BDP-83 Special Edition reminded me of the sonic differences I discovered when I put the MCD301 head to head with the MCD500 for the first time. The Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition is not just a small baby step ahead of the BDP-83, it is a huge leap in front of it's sibling in audio performance.

Since I am not in the studio this evening, I have the Oppo BDP-83SE playing right now on repeat-play, letting the same surround SACD play over and over to help with the burn-in process. All things considered, right out of the box I was thoroughly impressed with it's wonderful sound. The ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's in the Special Edition are amazing, producing the open, airy, full range, accurate, and dynamic sound we all expect from our high-end equipment. Don't let yourself be fooled by the low $899.00 price (probably not to remain there very long), the Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition is definately high-end in its audio performance, not to mention the amazing high-definition Blu-ray video from the VRS chips by Anchor Bay. This is truly an astonishing high-def, surround sound player. At this time, I would suggest to everyone with the Oppo BDP-83 to take advantage of the upgrade for the ESS DAC's and new analog power supply. This upgrade remains available through December 31, 2009 direct from Oppo.

Once the BDP-83 Special Edition has some burn-in time on it, I will move it over to the tube system rack, and perform a two channel head to head comparison with the McIntosh MCD500. I will be able to have both players connected to the C1000T at the same time, so the A/B comparison of the BDP-83SE to the MCD500 will be easier. Right now, judging from what I heard earlier today, this will surely be an interesting shoot-out.

cmalak 12-19-2009 10:52 PM

Dan...Thx for the initial review. I am really interested in the shoot out with your MCD500. I have a 2-channel only setup so I am very interested to get your thoughts on this. Thanks for sharing your listening impressions. :thumbsup:

cmalak 12-19-2009 10:55 PM

Dan...I must also commend you on your discipline and willingness to listen to the Oppo during these wonderful visits from Santa's girls (especially the latest pair) :D...impressive will power i must say :thumbsup:

jdandy 12-19-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 54634)
Dan...I must also commend you on your discipline and willingness to listen to the Oppo during these wonderful visits from Santa's girls (especially the latest pair) :D...impressive will power i must say :thumbsup:

Cyril.......Work, work, work. It's a tough job, but I am up to it. :D

cmalak 12-19-2009 11:05 PM

:lmao:

JT3 12-19-2009 11:45 PM

Wow, excellent review. Looks like I have to decide in the next 10 days whether to upgrade or not.

jdandy 12-19-2009 11:57 PM

JT3.......The Special Edition upgrade will turn out to be the best $299.00 upgrade money you ever spent. The BDP-83SE is a serious two channel and surround sound player. Once Oppo installs the new ESS DAC's and new analog power supply, they reset your player's warranty to day one. It is a good deal any way you look at it.

I am back down in the studio tonight listening to my BDP-83 Special Edition right now. It is so open and relaxed sounding, totally non-fatiguing. The clarity, definition, and dynamics are astonishing. I am a critical listener, a royal nit-picker to put it mildly, and I have to tell you I am blown away with the sound of the BDP-83SE. Spend the money. You will be very pleased with the results.

Jimmy 12-20-2009 12:18 AM

Thanks for sharing Dan, I am not sure what is more impressive the performance of the BDP-83SE or your detailed well written reviews on the gear you evaluate, good stuff. :yes:

Dj_AmTraX 12-20-2009 12:38 AM

How's the build quality? Is the front and drawer plastic? Is there a fan like other BR players? I hate fans.

jdandy 12-20-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy (Post 54662)
Thanks for sharing Dan, I am not sure what is more impressive the performance of the BDP-83SE or your detailed well written reviews on the gear you evaluate, good stuff. :yes:

Jimmy.......Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate that. :yes: