AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   F112s back on line (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=806)

PHC1 05-14-2009 07:21 PM

F112s back on line

Well, I finally got a chance to put my 2 F112s back into the system today and tweak them out with the Sophia 2. The SF speakers I had and Sophia are very different in bass response so I had to start from scratch with dialing in the F112s. This time around it was a much easier and more efficient setup now that I have a system worked out and the Bryston X/O was not involved. Starting out with each individual sub re-dialed in for phase to each speaker, the crossover worked out to be around 38Hz to fill out the bottom end of the Sophia in my room and using the SPL meter and gain, ELF and crossover slopes, I was once again able to dial them in to 20Hz within +/- 1dB.

Wow, I almost forgot just what these subs add to the system. The bottom end is now much fuller, the instruments are once again "fleshed out" with greater palpability and 3 dimensionality. The bottom octave now "tickles" my feet as it energizes the room and the floor, kick drums have more "flesh" and greater impact to them while being warmer, fuller and rounder sounding.

Since the crossover is not a brickwall type of a filter and I usually use the gentler slopes, the subs augment the Sophia not just at 38Hz but "creep up" gently up higher and fill out the whole bottom end of the Sophia just enough to add some overall warmth and fullness down low which shifts the tonal balance ever so slightly to a warmer, fuller presentation. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it right but once done, most enjoyable. I love these subs! :music::music:

The Bryston crossover is not necessary with this system as the Sophia 2 needs only a bit of augmenting and I don't have a reason to take bass off them since they are already so linear down low.

PHC1 05-14-2009 07:30 PM

Just listened to "Psalms" with the Turtle Creek Chorale which has a nicely recorded organ music. Listening with the subs online is like listening to it for the first time, without the subs, much of the effect is simply MIA and you miss the whole point and experience.... Subs are a must have for any serious system. :yes:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...VL._SS500_.jpg

jdandy 05-14-2009 08:48 PM

Serge.......Good to know the JL f112's are moving air again, and have contributed in a positive way to your systems presentation. Nothing like hearing and feeling organ peddle bass notes.

PHC1 05-14-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 14341)
Serge.......Good to know the JL f112's are moving air again, and have contributed in a positive way to your systems presentation. Nothing like hearing and feeling organ peddle bass notes.

I'm sure you can relate having just visited the Master and his JL Gotham wonderland. :D

Alberto 05-14-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 14311)
Since the crossover is not a brickwall type of a filter and I usually use the gentler slopes, the subs augment the Sophia not just at 38Hz but "creep up" gently up higher and fill out the whole bottom end of the Sophia just enough to add some overall warmth and fullness down low which shifts the tonal balance ever so slightly to a warmer, fuller presentation. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it right but once done, most enjoyable. I love these subs! :music::music:

I know EXACTLY what you mean Serge! :thumbsup:

Alberto

jdandy 05-14-2009 11:19 PM

Serge.......I can tell you this, at 118 decibles, when the foot peddle is stomped on for the bass drum, the four 13 inch subwoofer cones in the two Gothums are lightning fast, and move some serious amount of air. The heavy leather recliner I was sitting in felt as though it lept off the floor with ever stomp of the bass drum peddle. A defibrillator under each seat should be an essential tweak in THE ROOM. :yes:

Masterlu 05-14-2009 11:38 PM

I wonder if a PPP on each Gotham would do anything, what do you think Dan?

jdandy 05-15-2009 12:04 AM

Ivan.......I can still feel the impact of those two Gothams. Incredible! They are so solid and quick I am not sure Power Plant Premiers would improve them. Do the Gotham's draw more than 1500 watts (12.5 amps) each?

Masterlu 05-15-2009 03:20 AM

1500 watts is their max draw.

PHC1 05-15-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 14433)
1500 watts is their max draw.

Ivan, you mean Fathom F112? Gotham is 3800w..