AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   McIntosh Service Center Question (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43209)

Progfan2112 06-19-2018 05:24 AM

McIntosh Service Center Question

Hi all,

About 2 months ago, I brought my C2300 to a service center for repairs. When I dropped the unit off, I was told it would take 6-8 weeks to be serviced. The person I left the unit with said if I sent it to McIntosh, it would take even longer because they are low on technicians (?) A couple weeks ago, I called the service center for an update and unfortunately, they hadn't even looked at it yet. He also said his tech wasn't there and he didn't have any other info for me. My concern is-if they need a part for repairs-it's going to take at least a month for them to get the part, install it and have it ready for pick up. I'm potentially looking at at least 3 months turnaround time.

Without wanting to name the service center, my question is: is this normal procedure or a normal waiting time? A couple years ago, I had a different issue with my C2300 when it was still under warranty and my dealer sent it to Mac and it was returned to me in about a month's time, very reasonable I thought. But the fact that I have a piece of equip sitting on a shelf somewhere and collecting dust for nearly 2 months now has me concerned. Anyone experience this sort of service from a service center and/or any advice on what I should do? Thanks for reading!

W9TR 06-19-2018 08:25 AM

McIntosh Service Center Question

Normal varies a lot.

For example the waiting time for Terry DeWick is three months and he is closed for the summer. He is one of the best in the world.

In your case the shop is at their own 8 week commitment date and you should expect them to complete it as agreed.

The only people who can comment on McIntosh wait time is McIntosh so I think it is a bit disingenuous for your shop to quote a McIntosh lead time.

Tom

Yamaki 06-19-2018 12:32 PM

Parts availability can contribute to a lengthy wait if the service center is out of stock of a particular part.

In some cases McIntosh has limited stock available or, such as was the case when I needed a new glass face for my MX119 they were out of stock; then McIntosh schedules out production runs for parts some time in the future. It all depends on demand.

I ended up waiting almost 3 months for the glass. Fortunately the unit worked fine and I just put up with the cracks during the waiting period.

njcardave 06-19-2018 09:16 PM

I have been waiting for over 1YEAR for the front glass for my MVP871. Have been told by McIntosh corporate that they are installing a new glass machine to speed up production. Quality will remain the same. They could not tell me when my glass would be manufactured. Gail Steere at the McIntosh customer service parts department is not much help. I have contacted her a few times and have always been told that I will have to wait for an unknown amount of time.

62caddy 06-20-2018 10:18 AM

Have you checked with Audio Classics? Their work is second to none and will likely be quicker.

njcardave 06-20-2018 11:27 AM

Yes, I did check with Audio Classics. They are also waiting for a front glass for an MVP871. Thank you for the suggestion. I am at the mercy of the McIntosh parts department.

Progfan2112 06-21-2018 05:56 AM

One year? Man, I guess I need to learn some patience! Two months without the C2300 hasn't been fun, I just hope I'm not bumping this thread in 10 more months....

HankMoody 06-21-2018 06:14 AM

On a brighter note, McIntosh called me two weeks ago informing me the glass replacement for my MX132 was created and ready for purchase/shipment. I was on their waiting list for 11 months! Of course, the lengthy waiting anxiety forced me to buy an MX120 :D

62caddy 06-21-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcardave (Post 919593)
Yes, I did check with Audio Classics. They are also waiting for a front glass for an MVP871. Thank you for the suggestion. I am at the mercy of the McIntosh parts department.

My suggestion was to send the C2300 to Audio Classics which would likely be quicker than Terry, McIntosh Laboratory or your local dealer.

PeterMusic 06-21-2018 10:55 AM

Yipes! I love my McIntosh gear, but I would have thought twice about buying had I known this earlier. None of these experiences/explanations seem bankable.