AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bi-wiring Mcintosh amp (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42915)

Chericelise 05-11-2018 11:51 AM

Bi-wiring Mcintosh amp

Hi has anybody tried bi-wiring the amp by using 4 connections of the amp to 4 connections to the speaker end(not the usualy 2-4 bi-wire)?
Using 4ohm connect to the LF and 8ohm to the HF(2 pairs of cables for each speaker side)
Would like to hear the feedback on such connections.

Thank u

Audiophilehi 05-11-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chericelise (Post 914585)
Hi has anybody tried bi-wiring the amp by using 4 connections of the amp to 4 connections to the speaker end(not the usualy 2-4 bi-wire)?
Using 4ohm connect to the LF and 8ohm to the HF(2 pairs of cables for each speaker side)
Would like to hear the feedback on such connections.

Thank u

I do!

As per Chuck Hinton at McIntosh "For 3Db more bass, hook the woofers to the 8ohm tap and the Mid/tweet to the 4Ohm tap."

Chericelise 05-11-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 914586)
I do!

As per Chuck Hinton at McIntosh "For 3Db more bass, hook the woofers to the 8ohm tap and the Mid/tweet to the 4Ohm tap."

Are u using both same cables for the 4 & 8ohms taps.
Thank u

Audiophilehi 05-11-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chericelise (Post 914589)
Are u using both same cables for the 4 & 8ohms taps.
Thank u

I'm using a separate cables. One for the 8 Ohm to woofers and One for 4 Ohm to Mid/Tweeters.

Macuser 05-11-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 914586)
I do!

Why did I have to read this lol. Now I'm going to have to try it:yes:

Audiophilehi 05-11-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macuser (Post 914607)
Why did I have to read this lol. Now I'm going to have to try it:yes:

Definitely worth the try. :D

I used to just run the Wireworld Eclipse Bi-wire speaker cables. When I moved to running separate cables one from the 8 ohm tap to the woofers and one from the 4 ohm tap to the mid/tweeter there was a noticeable improvement.

Not only was I hearing a better controlled bass I also was hearing more detail with a wider soundstage and layering from front to back.

Chericelise 05-11-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 914592)
I'm using a separate cables. One for the 8 Ohm to woofers and One for 4 Ohm to Mid/Tweeters.

Sorry my question isnt clear.
What i wanted to ask was whether u are using both cables of the same brand and model or different model or brand?

Thank u

Audiophilehi 05-11-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chericelise (Post 914650)
Sorry my question isnt clear.
What i wanted to ask was whether u are using both cables of the same brand and model or different model or brand?

Thank u

I’m using the same brand Wireworld Eclipse however the model is different. I have the regular Eclipse going to the woofers and the Silver Eclipse going to the Mid/Tweeters.

oddeophile 05-11-2018 08:34 PM

Bi-wiring Mcintosh amp

Interesting info. Wondering if this is basically true for any tube amp running separate cable setup like this? I do on my Revel Studio 2’s with both sets of wires running off the 4 ohm taps.
Would be fascinated to know if this is pretty universal. I could see where the woofers would probably run 8 ohms

Chericelise 05-11-2018 09:10 PM

Thank u