AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Classe' Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Classe' Audio interest? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=10090)

Masterlu 09-25-2011 03:42 PM

Classe' Audio interest?

Is there any interest in Classe' Audio? :scratch2:

bart 09-25-2011 03:46 PM

Yes, I am interested.
Especially their surround processor.

TommyC 09-25-2011 03:58 PM

I heard they will be built in China from now on. Is that true?
If so, the price should be cheaper than before.

Edit: They don't work well with SF. I compared them with Mac when I auditioned for my GM. The Classe was fatiguing on the top end.

Masterlu 09-25-2011 03:59 PM

Still Canada as far as I'm told.

IM3CPO 09-25-2011 11:38 PM

They have some interesting products and have supposedly hired some high profile engineers from a couple different places (I believe it was Lexicon and one other... Meridian perhaps?). According to my local dealer, they are working on a MX-150 and C-50 killer, so could be a good idea to have these guys around...

They have a CP-800 which has much of the same feature set as the C-50 (along with its own "firmware" fiasco in order to pay high rez) but they are apparently working on native server playback too which means not only do you get a built in USB DAC but the capability to play music stored on the network ala Sonos (but with the supposed inclusion of high rez playback- again, when its ready).

EightZeroZeroDelta 09-25-2011 11:43 PM

I have definitely been interested in hearing more about their line since first discovering them a while back. I have not had the opportunity to listen to anything yet, but have been actively searching...

skippy1416 09-26-2011 07:27 AM

I believe that Classe production is being shifted to the B&W (owners of Classe) manufacturing facility in China. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - and as a Canadian I hope that I am wrong on this one. Classe quality/reliability is pretty legendary up here and has always been a large part of the appeal of the brand.

Volks 09-26-2011 07:48 AM

My Mcintosh dealer who is also a Classe Dealer told me that all building production has now shifted to China and that 80-90% of the Classe jobs in Canada will be lost to China.He mentioned that his last stock of Canadian made Classe was selling even better then usual.

Kal Rubinson 09-26-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IM3CPO (Post 208985)
They have some interesting products and have supposedly hired some high profile engineers from a couple different places (I believe it was Lexicon and one other... Meridian perhaps?).

Alan Clark, developer of the UniDisk for Linn.

jdandy 09-26-2011 10:08 AM

Ivan.......Zero interest in Classe.

If it is true that manufacturing has shifted to China then Classe may as well kiss their hard earned Canadian reputation and panache good-bye. It's one thing to say China has improved manufacturing, and are building world class products, but the perception remains that corners are cut and overall quality are sacrificed to some degree for improved profits. In many cases it is not just perception. I believe the market bears this out. In the US there is a stigma associated with the "Made In China" origin label, and not just for audio products.

It's one thing to spend $999.00 for a new Oppo Blu-ray player made in China. It is entirely different to spend the dollars Classe demands for components knowing they are manufactured there. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for Classe. For me, just the idea of Classe being made in China makes me want to snicker at the decision, and discount its worth in my mind.