AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Yggdrasil DAC Reviewed (Hometheaterreview.com) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46068)

Cohibaman 06-18-2019 02:08 PM

Yggdrasil DAC Reviewed (Hometheaterreview.com)

Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC Reviewed

https://hometheaterreview.com/schiit...-dac-reviewed/

jdandy 06-18-2019 03:03 PM

Mike.......Thanks for the link to the review. Dylan Seeger's assessment of the Yggdrasil turned out to be about what I expected from a home theater publication. If he had taken time to research Schiit Audio and its owners, he would have discovered the absence of a volume control, DSD, and MQA are not "omissions", rather they are features. It was an interesting read but mostly fluff for the crowd that wants his wish list of features in a $600.00 DAC.

Cohibaman 06-18-2019 03:30 PM

I’m right there with you on that one, Dan!

sid325 06-18-2019 04:19 PM

I still think Dan's review was one of the best out there.

Puma Cat 06-18-2019 04:21 PM

I read the review and agree with Dan.

Here's what I posted; be curious to see if the author responds (note font change for ease of reading...)

I note that the classic audio reviewer ploy of never directly comparing comparably-priced components & determining which one sounds the best was utilized for this review. G*d forbid we say which of three ~$USD 2500 products sounds best for risk of losing ad revenue. Personally, I find this type of review to be disingenuous & specious and most importantly, a disservice to your readers. Instead, let's compare Yggy to a product that costs ~2.5X as much. Yes, that will be really helpful for customers shopping for DACs in the $2500 price range. That aside, the biggest issue I have with this review is you're comparing apples to oranges: the Brooklyn and Bencmhark are primarily $2200 preamps that include a delta-sigma Sabre DAC chip. And as far as D/S DACs, particularly Sabre DACs, go compared to a true R2R Mutli-bit DAC? Uh, thanks, but no thanks. I don't want to re-live those halcyon days of "Sabre glare". Yeesh! So, here's some advice & a suggestion: Next time, do your readers a service & compare a true DAC to a true DAC and not...a preamp. Then, there is no reason to complain it doesn't have a volume control. And compare products that fall within the same price range, so that customers can make an informed decision (a novel concept for a audio review) rather than trying to guess if Yggy is better than a Mytek or a Benchmark by comparing how Yggy sounds to a DAC costing $6000. That is called, in professional quality disciplines, providing VALUE and QUALITY for your customers, your readers.

Reviews like this are really irksome and I find them specious & insulting to our collective intelligence because...they provide no VALUE to potential customers.

Makes me want to start my own audio review publication called...NBAR: No Bullsh*t Audio Reviews.

PHC1 06-18-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 969127)
Makes me want to start my own audio review publication called...NBAR: No Bullsh*t Audio Reviews.

https://media.giphy.com/media/wi8Ez1mwRcKGI/giphy.gif

Puma Cat 06-18-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 969129)

Hee hee hee! I just might....

PHC1 06-18-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 969114)
Mike.......Thanks for the link to the review. Dylan Seeger's assessment of the Yggdrasil turned out to be about what I expected from a home theater publication. If he had taken time to research Schiit Audio and its owners, he would have discovered the absence of a volume control, DSD, and MQA are not "omissions", rather they are features. It was an interesting read but mostly fluff for the crowd that wants his wish list of features in a $600.00 DAC.

:yes:

bart 06-18-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 969133)
:yes:

+1...

But then again, you already do it here.
Thank you for that!

Cohibaman 06-18-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sid325 (Post 969125)
I still think Dan's review was one of the best out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 969127)
I read the review and agree with Dan.

Here's what I posted; be curious to see if the author responds (note font change for ease of reading...)

I note that the classic audio reviewer ploy of never directly comparing comparably-priced components & determining which one sounds the best was utilized for this review. G*d forbid we say which of three ~$USD 2500 products sounds best for risk of losing ad revenue. Personally, I find this type of review to be disingenuous & specious and most importantly, a disservice to your readers. Instead, let's compare Yggy to a product that costs ~2.5X as much. Yes, that will be really helpful for customers shopping for DACs in the $2500 price range. That aside, the biggest issue I have with this review is you're comparing apples to oranges: the Brooklyn and Bencmhark are primarily $2200 preamps that include a delta-sigma Sabre DAC chip. And as far as D/S DACs, particularly Sabre DACs, go compared to a true R2R Mutli-bit DAC? Uh, thanks, but no thanks. I don't want to re-live those halcyon days of "Sabre glare". Yeesh! So, here's some advice & a suggestion: Next time, do your readers a service & compare a true DAC to a true DAC and not...a preamp. Then, there is no reason to complain it doesn't have a volume control. And compare products that fall within the same price range, so that customers can make an informed decision (a novel concept for a audio review) rather than trying to guess if Yggy is better than a Mytek or a Benchmark by comparing how Yggy sounds to a DAC costing $6000. That is called, in professional quality disciplines, providing VALUE and QUALITY for your customers, your readers.

Reviews like this are really irksome and I find them specious & insulting to our collective intelligence because...they provide no VALUE to potential customers.

:thumbsup: