AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Wilson Audio old sound vs new sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41406)

MMBL622 12-05-2017 05:22 AM

Wilson Audio old sound vs new sound

May I know what are the main difference between Watt 7 sound (WA old sound) and Sophia 7 sound (WA new sound)?

One other hands, many people said Watt 7 produce more bass than Sophia 3. If your listening room is not big, better to choose Sophia 7, is it correct?

THX!

metaphacts 12-05-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMBL622 (Post 884061)
May I know what are the main difference between Watt 7 sound (WA old sound) and Sophia 7 sound (WA new sound)?

One other hands, many people said Watt 7 produce more bass than Sophia 3. If your listening room is not big, better to choose Sophia 7, is it correct?

THX!

There is no Sophia 7. Sophia 3 is the last speaker designed before the advent of the Convergent Synergy Tweeter. Generally speaking, those who characterize an old vs new sound use before and after implementation as the delineation.

Punit 12-06-2017 07:19 AM

So do the newer Wilson speakers having Convergent Synergy Tweeters have a "warmer" sound than the older speakers using inverted metal dome tweeters ?

gadawg 12-06-2017 02:41 PM

There are a lot of differing opinions on this so here's mine ... I loved the old sound ... imaged really well and very detailed. The new sound to me is even better with similar levels of detail and even better imaging with what I can only describe as a blacker background and better space between instruments and vocals. Again ... Just my take!

Still-One 12-06-2017 04:01 PM

I also prefer the old tweeter to the new. That said it is sometimes difficult to determine whether it is the drivers or the adjustments made to the crossover that we are hearing.

For example I prefer the top end of my X2's over the XLF but the later sounds better across the mid's. I am sure there are several reasons for this.

GSOphile 12-06-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

THX!

To me the "old Wilson sound" was what came before the Watt Puppy 7. It was more analytical in nature - often described as cool and not musical. This changed with the Watt Puppy 7 and the Sophia (1, 2 & 3) even though all were based on continued use of inverted dome titanium tweeters. The newer soft dome tweeters, IMO, improve what began some years ago but do not radically change the Wilson sound. Regarding bass, the Watt Puppy 7 & 8 have more than the Sophia models but will require better amplification (and maybe a little larger room) to realize their potential.

Coppy 12-06-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 884300)
There are a lot of differing opinions on this so here's mine ... I loved the old sound ... imaged really well and very detailed. The new sound to me is even better with similar levels of detail and even better imaging with what I can only describe as a blacker background and better space between instruments and vocals. Again ... Just my take!

Having owned WP7 (great speaker), Sasha, Duette 2, and now Yvette best of the lot), I'll second what gadawg has said and add that the new tweeter just integrates better with the mid range driver. You really can't hear the tweeter separately anymore but all the sound is still there.

metaphacts 12-06-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 884300)

:tresbon:

DonBattles 12-06-2017 09:50 PM

Do you currently own or previously any Wilson speakers?

Quote:

THX!

zbub 12-10-2017 10:50 AM

I've always thought the new soft dome tweeter is more like a side step than a leap forward, but granted I had NO problems with the old Ti tweeter.
Regarding the older and newer Wilson sound, I think WP8 and Alexandria 2 were the defining points. Even though the tweeter for them were still Ti, but surely not as overly analytical as their predecessors, and more refined.