AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   SF dealers dropping out (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46607)

modlin 09-03-2019 07:00 PM

SF dealers dropping out

SF dealers are disappearing...why?

oddeophile 09-03-2019 08:10 PM

Probably the insane cost of SF real estate they can’t afford the rent anymore. Just a SWAG.

Masterlu 09-03-2019 08:14 PM

At their peak, they produced 5500 pairs of speakers a year Worldwide. That number has dropped substantially over the last 5~6 years.

modlin 09-03-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 978482)
At their peak, they produced 5500 pairs of speakers a year Worldwide. That number has dropped substantially over the last 5~6 years.

pricing?.....vs.what people have in their wallets?....disappearing middle class???...sign of our times...

antipop 09-04-2019 10:27 AM

The transition from Serblin to the new management hasn't really done that well.

I guess they lost quite a bit of their customer base since they have changed what makes SF. The new strategy was too much lifestyle oriented that didn't pan out.

I own a pair of Elipsa Red and the only speaker I would upgrade to in the range would have been the Stradivari...

Masterlu 09-04-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 978515)

I guess they lost quite a bit of their customer base since they have changed what makes SF. The new strategy was too much lifestyle oriented that didn't pan out.

I own a pair of Elipsa Red and the only speaker I would upgrade to in the range would have been the Stradivari...

:goodpost:

Antonmb 09-04-2019 11:45 AM

My local dealer used to carry SF. He’s in a city of about 80,000 and it was his only high-end speaker line. I think he was selling maybe a half dozen pairs of Cremona-level and up per year. After the world of McIntosh, he dropped them because they upped their requirements for stock. Now he carries Focal’s upper end models instead.

bart 09-04-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Georges, the Stradivari is fantastic indeed.
But I wouldn't say no to a pair of Liliums or Aidas.
Have you heard them?

BuffaloBill 09-04-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

The Elipsa is a nice speaker and for you this would be a logical course of action. But for non-SF owners there are better options for less money.

crwilli 09-04-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBill (Post 978532)
The Elipsa is a nice speaker and for you this would be a logical course of action. But for non-SF owners there are better options for less money.

That is a matter of opinion and why are only non-SF owners smart enough to know this?

modlin 09-04-2019 02:11 PM

what about Olimpica III...it looks like Sf is changing/upgrading line.....dealer close to me has new OIII @ about usd9350 after tax (which in Canada is about 40% off list price)...would this be a great opportunity?

Masterlu 09-04-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modlin (Post 978540)
what about Olimpica III...it looks like Sf is changing/upgrading line.....dealer close to me has new OIII @ about usd9350 after tax (which in Canada is about 40% off)...would this be a great opportunity?

Not in my personal opinion.

Puma Cat 09-04-2019 05:44 PM

What Antipop said...

modlin 09-04-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 978578)
What Antipop said...

?

modlin 09-04-2019 09:20 PM

.....But for non-SF owners there are better options for less money....

SF OIII @ about usd9350 vs?....your input will be appreciated

crwilli 09-04-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modlin (Post 978595)
.....But for non-SF owners there are better options for less money.

SF OIII @ about usd9350 vs?....your input will be appreciated[/QUOTE]

Look, I am not going to go down your rabbit hole. You shared an opinion that slapped at SF owners. You justify that.

Puma Cat 09-04-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modlin (Post 978592)
?

Sorry, accidentally quoted the wrong post. But, I think Antipop has it well-characterized.

modlin 09-05-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 978596)
SF OIII @ about usd9350 vs?....your input will be appreciated

Look, I am not going to go down your rabbit hole. You shared an opinion that slapped at SF owners. You justify that.[/QUOTE]

"rabbit hole?....slapped?...justify that??

Sorry, I am not a frequent visitor on this or similar forums....so, not sure how to reply to you and what this all lingo means?
My latest entry was not quoting YOU or asking YOU for an opinion

antipop 09-05-2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modlin (Post 978617)
Look, I am not going to go down your rabbit hole. You shared an opinion that slapped at SF owners. You justify that.

"rabbit hole?....slapped?...justify that??

Sorry, I am not a frequent visitor on this or similar forums....so, not sure how to reply to you and what this all lingo means?
My latest entry was not quoting YOU or asking YOU for an opinion[/QUOTE]

I think the comment from crwilli was directed to Buffalo Bill but the quote markers where in the wrong place. I don't think it has anything against you :)

antipop 09-05-2019 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 978531)
Georges, the Stradivari is fantastic indeed.
But I wouldn't say no to a pair of Liliums or Aidas.
Have you heard them?

I've heard the Aida at Ivan's place and they are absolutely stunning and they still have the typical SF sound. I don't know about the new Aida however.

From what I've heard from the new range, I felt the sound was too analytical and cold. People were attracted to the SF speaker not because they were the most precise but because they were the most musical. To me, they add emotion and I've never been moved by a speaker like I have with an SF one.

Now they've decided to trade that for more analytical sound and design. i'm going to sound like an old fart but I believe they have lost something in the process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 978535)
That is a matter of opinion and why are only non-SF owners smart enough to know this?

+1

That was quite a derogatory comment that was made without any explanation. This is not what this forum is for.

crwilli 09-05-2019 08:46 AM

My comment was aimed at Buffalo Bill.

My response to Modin was misdirected for which I am sorry. I was confused by the mixed up quotes in that post.

W9TR 09-05-2019 10:53 AM

Modin - if you like the OIII as much as I do you will be able to find a pair in the $7k to $8k range on the secondary market. So you can do better than the $9k+ price

I set up a pair for a friend and was very impressed with their overall sound. It’s a matter of taste and what you like, and I happen to enjoy the laid back presentation of the OIII.

Tom

JBT 09-05-2019 11:14 AM

Sonus Faber Stradivari Price
No doubt a good part of your $40,000 goes to pay for the speaker's looks; if you don't like what you see, chances are you're not buying, even if you like what you hear. The Stradivari is a three-way speaker with two stiff, lightweight, 12" aluminum/magnesium-cone woofers custom-built for Sonus by SEAS.Jan 18, 2005

Chances are they aren't selling anymore. Rest assured if a speaker line is selling and profitable it wouldn't be disappearing. Too many great speakers for half the price in the market today

BuffaloBill 09-05-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBT (Post 978639)
Too many great speakers for half the price in the market today

Competition, technology, inovation, all work together to bring consumers better products at lower prices. You can never 'rest on your laurels'.

antipop 09-05-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBT (Post 978639)
Sonus Faber Stradivari Price
No doubt a good part of your $40,000 goes to pay for the speaker's looks; if you don't like what you see, chances are you're not buying, even if you like what you hear. The Stradivari is a three-way speaker with two stiff, lightweight, 12" aluminum/magnesium-cone woofers custom-built for Sonus by SEAS.Jan 18, 2005

Chances are they aren't selling anymore. Rest assured if a speaker line is selling and profitable it wouldn't be disappearing. Too many great speakers for half the price in the market today

Based on comments from my local dealer at the time (which I'm sure Ivan can confirm with his own experience) he was selling more than a few per year. The Stradivari was axed because of the focus on the new line and not because it wasn't selling.

Critics on paying for the look has been there since the beginning of the brand. I tend to disregard them.

crwilli 09-05-2019 02:18 PM

I don’t get the complaint that Strads cost what they cost because of their looks when review after review were glowing with positives on their sound. Yes, I think they look great but they sound better. Why not have both - to your eyes and your ears?

piolaxo 09-05-2019 02:38 PM

That is why the Strads command such a price, because they are gorgeous and because
of their sound.

JBT 09-05-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 978652)
Based on comments from my local dealer at the time (which I'm sure Ivan can confirm with his own experience) he was selling more than a few per year. The Stradivari was axed because of the focus on the new line and not because it wasn't selling.

Critics on paying for the look has been there since the beginning of the brand. I tend to disregard them.

Again, if it's selling and profitable it wouldn't be disappearing. Sonus Faber is in business to make money. They do this by making speakers the public is buying. It's a very crowded field out there today in the speaker market.
Times change and the market will always adjust.

crwilli 09-05-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBT (Post 978662)
Again, if it's selling and profitable it wouldn't be disappearing. Sonus Faber is in business to make money. They do this by making speakers the public is buying. It's a very crowded field out there today in the speaker market.

Times change and the market will always adjust.

True.

Coming back to the OPs comments on SF dealers being reduced, I suspect that is purely a result of SF adjusting to a changing market.

A market that some suggest has declined for them from increased competition and inferior products. The result is fewer channels for them to sell. It could also be part of their strategy. Like many things, there is probably a little truth in all of that.

I cannot say for sure as I have never heard any SF speaker besides the Aida, Elipsa and Stradivari.