AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Manley Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Chinook SE issue (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35674)

miner 05-02-2016 09:11 AM

Chinook SE issue

Well, my newly purchase in Dec 2015 Chinook SE has developed a bad hum. Happened overnight. I switched out tubes, hum still present. Switched ICs, still there. Moved to another audio setup, hum still there. After being on 30 mins the hum lessened but then a scratchy/crackly sound was present. Back to Manley Labs for service - waiting to hear back from them on what to do. Unit has less than 20 hrs on it. Anyone else have issues like this with their Chinook?

Weirdcuba 05-02-2016 09:30 AM

No help here, but I watch with interest as I'm interested in either the chinook or the steelhead.

AudioGremlin 05-02-2016 10:11 AM

Thats bad luck miner, perhaps a failed smoothing cap or rectifier. Hope its all up and running again soon.
I have the Steelhead & NC 250's, reliability has been fine.

miner 05-02-2016 11:31 AM

I think I have done all troubleshooting to narrow down to internal issue with Chinook. I am disappointed to say the least.

miner 05-02-2016 02:21 PM

Manley agreed that I had done all troubleshooting I can do. Sending unit back for repair.

DinaMoe 05-03-2016 09:46 AM

I know you're down on Manley at the moment but they'll straighten things out. The Chinook is a real gem of a phono pre. You're gonna love it.

miner 05-03-2016 10:57 AM

I do love it DinaMoe 'hum' but disappointed in early problems. Plus, $80 to ship insured via FedEx.

Bung99 05-04-2016 01:45 AM

That is a bit cheaper than it cost me over here in Aus. Whatever you do do not turn it on. Mine had the hum then blew the transformer (not cheap).

miner 05-07-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bung99 (Post 777951)
That is a bit cheaper than it cost me over here in Aus. Whatever you do do not turn it on. Mine had the hum then blew the transformer (not cheap).

Manley called me on Friday and will replace/upgrade some capacitors and will ship back on Monday. Plus they will put on a black faceplate that comes with SE model.

Weirdcuba 05-07-2016 09:18 PM

Just to clarify - only cost to you was shipping and insurance? I'm really interested in the steelhead, so watching this with great interest.

DinaMoe 05-09-2016 08:39 AM

Curious about the faceplate. What color face did it originally have?

audio bill 05-09-2016 08:58 AM

The standard Manley faceplates are a blueish/gray color, while for the SE versions some are offered in a more conventional black.

DinaMoe 05-09-2016 01:12 PM

The reason I asked is because from the OP's topic, it was assumed he already had the SE version.

miner 05-09-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 778614)
Just to clarify - only cost to you was shipping and insurance? I'm really interested in the steelhead, so watching this with great interest.

Yes, since it was still under warranty. Normal warranty is 90 days UNLESS you register the product then it jumps to 5 yrs. Their service guy told me when units come in for repair , and upgrades have been done since original purchase, then they upgrade to new component status.

Monday ship was a bit premature. May be another 5 - 10 working days.

miner 05-13-2016 02:28 PM

Chinook is shipping today

jdandy 05-13-2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 779599)
Chinook is shipping today

Kevin.......Hallelujah. Did Manley give you any explanation as to the nature of the malfunction? I feel confident the repair will leave you happy and satisfied. I have auditioned the Chinook and it sounded very good.

http://highfidelity.pl/foto_testy/1206/manley/02.jpg

http://highfidelity.pl/foto_testy/1206/manley/03.jpg

http://mail.manley.com/img/mch_g.png

Wasatch 05-15-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 778614)

Manley will definitely take care of you. I believe I had a couple of issues with my Chinook and Manley took very nice care of me. Especially with the Snapper(s), awesome freakn' company. I will highly recommend them.

Wasatch 05-15-2016 11:00 AM

Did not know about the SE version. The Chinook is a very nice piece of gear. Very natural sounding.

miner 05-16-2016 08:44 AM

Supposedly the unit was shipped out on Friday. They replaced a PCB and some capacitors plus updated the software. Their service team was very informative and forth-coming.

Wasatch 05-17-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 780090)
Supposedly the unit was shipped out on Friday. They replaced a PCB and some capacitors plus updated the software. Their service team was very informative and forth-coming.

Some of the best customer service out there. Let us know how she sounds when you get her back.

miner 05-18-2016 10:51 AM

I am a bit unsettled that they have yet to send me tracking info, and this is not their first Ro-Day-Oh. I asked for one on Monday but no response yet.

Wasatch 05-18-2016 12:13 PM

I've always had the pleasure to deal with Gamma, awesome guy.

jdandy 05-18-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 780547)
I am a bit unsettled that they have yet to send me tracking info, and this is not their first Ro-Day-Oh. I asked for one on Monday but no response yet.

Kevin.......In my experience, no tracking number provided is a clear sign shipping has not taken place yet. Manley could have built you three or four Chinook's by now, let alone repair one. It makes me wonder what is causing the delay and why the communications has gone silent. Might be time for a call to EveAnna.

AudioGremlin 05-18-2016 02:12 PM

EveAnna is presently on a awesome motorbike ride somewhere in Arizona at the mo I believe. I'm sure her deputy will be just as efficient though.

miner 05-19-2016 10:05 AM

Unit arrived yesterday after I called and asked about the tracking number. Have not added it back to the lineup yet but will do so this weekend.

Wasatch 05-19-2016 10:49 AM

That's great. I could not wait that long, it would be playing within an hour or two after arrival. Enjoy!

jdandy 05-19-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 780792)
Unit arrived yesterday after I called and asked about the tracking number. Have not added it back to the lineup yet but will do so this weekend.

Kevin.......Okee Dokee. Now we can relax. I'll go ahead and roll the hangman's noose back up. :D

miner 05-20-2016 08:09 AM

Dan, keep it handy in case another student in my system steps out of line. Makes me think about Brewer & Shipley.

jdandy 05-20-2016 02:43 PM

Kevin.......I hear you, One Toke Over The Line. :rolleyes:

miner 05-20-2016 06:37 PM

Hangman, hanging from a tree.

Get the noose ready Dan. Got the Chinook hooked up and sounds great - except now the logo lamps do not light up. Have checked connections and all seems tight. Probably new PCB issue but never should left repair center like this. Manley service failed this round. I will not be responsible for cost to send back.

jdandy 05-20-2016 06:44 PM

Kevin.......I guess while EveAnna is out riding her motorcycle all over Arizona enjoying herself the mice will play. Too bad it is at the expense of you being unable to enjoy the Manley product you paid for and hoped to enjoy. This kind of foolishness takes much of the pleasure away from the purchase.

miner 05-20-2016 06:50 PM

The C2300 phono stage never gave me one ounce of trouble and sounded superb. I am now second-guessing my desire for a outboard stage

Wasatch 05-20-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 781077)
Hangman, hanging from a tree.

Get the noose ready Dan. Got the Chinook hooked up and sounds great - except now the logo lamps do not light up. Have checked connections and all seems tight. Probably new PCB issue but never should left repair center like this. Manley service failed this round. I will not be responsible for cost to send back.

I'm sure they will take care of it. Maybe just needs a new bulb.

Wasatch 05-20-2016 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 781078)
Kevin.......I guess while EveAnna is out riding her motorcycle all over Arizona enjoying herself the mice will play. Too bad it is at the expense of you being unable to enjoy the Manley product you paid for and hoped to enjoy. This kind of foolishness takes much of the pleasure away from the purchase.

It definitely can, but like I said could be a bulb and can be replaced by miner.

jdandy 05-20-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasatch (Post 781082)
I'm sure they will take care of it. Maybe just needs a new bulb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasatch (Post 781083)
It definitely can, but like I said could be a bulb and can be replaced by miner.

John.......I am certain the Manley team is a group of well trained, dedicated, and motivated people who work hard to turn out a quality product. None the less, it is disheartening for an owner to have a product failure, return it for warranty repair and have it come back less than 100% operational no matter what the issue.

miner 05-20-2016 07:40 PM

Had a nice discussion with service dept...."must have happened in transit" excuse. Those units are packed to take a rough ride. Anyway, they are sending me the PCB that has the bulbs on it. A few screws and plugs to undo so should be an easy fix even for this electronically challenged fool.

Wasatch 05-20-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 781086)
John.......I am certain the Manley team is a group of well trained, dedicated, and motivated people who work hard to turn out a quality product. None the less, it is disheartening for an owner to have a product failure, return it for warranty repair and have it come back less than 100% operational no matter what the issue.

I would not be a happy camper either, but if I could fix it myself, simply. I would and not really think twice about it, but that's me. Shit Happens!

Wasatch 05-20-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 781088)
Had a nice discussion with service dept...."must have happened in transit" excuse. Those units are packed to take a rough ride. Anyway, they are sending me the PCB that has the bulbs on it. A few screws and plugs to undo so should be an easy fix even for this electronically challenged fool.

Glad to hear that it is only a simple fix. At least you can play the piece of gear.

jdandy 05-20-2016 08:37 PM

Might be a Chinook in the Marketplace before its over. :D

Wasatch 05-20-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 781099)
Might be a Chinook in the Marketplace before its over. :D

That would be a stupid move.