AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Just Smoking & Drinking (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Starting a cigar collection (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38716)

antipop 02-27-2017 10:48 AM

Starting a cigar collection

It's all in the title. I'm new to the hobby and I'm looking at tips to start a small collection.

What are the required gear that you need to start and where is the best cigars to start with?

Mikado463 02-27-2017 11:41 AM

Georges, are you going to smoke them (eventually) or just 'collect' them ?

antipop 02-27-2017 01:39 PM

The goal is to eventually smoke them for special occasions :)

Mikado463 02-27-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 834363)
The goal is to eventually smoke them for special occasions :)

then when the 'special occasion' arrises go to your local cigar shop and buy a few.

Buying cigars for special occasions and storing them makes little sense.

But if that's what you want to do, you'll need a small to mid sized humidor. Ideal storage is out of sunlight @ 70 degrees and 70% humidity.

If you've never smoked before start out with something mild, Macanudo for example and experiment upwards from there. Ideally. if you have a cigar shop near by ....... stop in !

Masterlu 02-27-2017 02:20 PM

Georges... I'll post some pics of my Cigar sickness here soon... :confused-18:

It started with 20 sticks and a nice cigar box/humidor. Today, it's a walk in Humidor with over 200 boxes.

Mikado463 02-27-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 834372)

It started with 20 sticks and a nice cigar box/humidor. Today, it's a walk in Humidor with over 200 boxes.

that's not a sickness but an epidemic ........... very nice !

phishphan 02-27-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 834333)
It's all in the title. I'm new to the hobby and I'm looking at tips to start a small collection.

What are the required gear that you need to start and where is the best cigars to start with?

Buy a nice humidor, season it, then add some boveda 70-72 packs and cigars. They should last quite a while if you open it to fresh air about every 30 days. Move around the cigars every 90 days or so.

crwilli 02-27-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phishphan (Post 834382)
Buy a nice humidor, season it, then add some boveda 70-72 packs and cigars. They should last quite a while if you open it to fresh air about every 30 days. Move around the cigars every 90 days or so.

I agree although I have had good luck with Humi-Care crystal gel devices.

As for cigars, you are starting a journey with almost endless possibilities. At one level, you should probably start out on the mild side and build up from there. You then need to test different sizes. My suggestion is to find a cigar shop. Tell them what you are doing and see what they say. I think a petit corona or corona size might be a good start. Should be a ~45 minute smoke. Enjoy and do not inhale! ;)

bart 02-27-2017 04:57 PM

Georges, good advice here.
I enjoy a cigar a couple of times a year, but I don't 'digest' large cigars.
Small to medium size is ideal for me, more gets to my stomach.
If you don't want to invest in a humidor, just buy the smokes you will have the next days, there should be plenty of good shops in London.

John49 02-27-2017 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 834397)
Georges, good advice here.

I enjoy a cigar a couple of times a year, but I don't 'digest' large cigars.

Small to medium size is ideal for me, more gets to my stomach.

If you don't want to invest in a humidor, just buy the smokes you will have the next days, there should be plenty of good shops in London.

And smoke them indoors in your apartment. Not sure whether Londoners appreciate the fine aroma of a fine cigar in their faces...