AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Magico Q1/Qsub15 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27873)

S1chen 08-08-2014 08:50 AM

Magico Q1/Qsub15

Finally got the Qsub15 to pair with the Q1. Hoping to get the best of both world to get a transparent mid/high and a effortless thunderous sub-bass. Setting of the Qsub is not very easy as there is lots of setting but it will reward you with the deep and clean bass ever. In my system playing more than 90dB, the Qsub cabinet total inert and you can sit on it and never realise the 15" woofer is pumping down there.

This is indeed a very outstanding Sub and I wonder if there is another sub out there that can surpass the clean, fast and no resonate bass.

If anyone got the qsub, it is best to work with a spectrum analyser to turn the sub to bland in with the main speaker. But once you get it, you will be smiling all the way. I am smiling now while typing...

marsalis 08-08-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S1chen (Post 629072)
Finally got the Qsub15 to pair with the Q1. Hoping to get the best of both world to get a transparent mid/high and a effortless thunderous sub-bass. Setting of the Qsub is not very easy as there is lots of setting but it will reward you with the deep and clean bass ever. In my system playing more than 90dB, the Qsub cabinet total inert and you can sit on it and never realise the 15" woofer is pumping down there.

This is indeed a very outstanding Sub and I wonder if there is another sub out there that can surpass the clean, fast and no resonate bass.

If anyone got the qsub, it is best to work with a spectrum analyser to turn the sub to bland in with the main speaker. But once you get it, you will be smiling all the way. I am smiling now while typing...

I never heard a sub I liked, and then I heard a pair of Qsub 15 with a pair of S3. I was blown away. I now wonder, if anyone ever heard a really good sub.
The integration was superb, the sense of ease and a vast sound filed was like nothing I ever heard before. Did you get a pair, or just one?

S1chen 08-08-2014 01:12 PM

I just get one. It is more than enough to fill the room as it is totally non directional as the colored signature is completely non existence.

marsalis 08-08-2014 08:54 PM

It is not about quantity, having 2 will yield better results. Something to look forward to :thumbsup:

cmalak 08-08-2014 09:02 PM

S1chen...at what frequency are you crossing in the sub at?

CLEE 08-08-2014 09:16 PM

Very interesting.:thumbsup: This can be an (better) alternative to the Q5. How did you position the QSub? What is the cross over configuration?

S1chen 08-09-2014 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 629243)
S1chen...at what frequency are you crossing in the sub at?

I trying few combo and now limit to 2. One is cross at 50hz and shape the slope sharper from 40 onward. Another is 125hz but need to notch off 50-80hz as it overly enhance with the q1 in my room mode. The higher freq is also to cover the room mode reactiing with the q1.

S1chen 08-09-2014 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLEE (Post 629246)
Very interesting.:thumbsup: This can be an (better) alternative to the Q5. How did you position the QSub? What is the cross over configuration?

it was position close to the main speaker slightly behind the right as my power cord is not long enough to move the sub to the center

4RE 08-13-2014 10:24 AM

Best upgrade from Qsub is adding another. only then one realise that the "non directional" is a hoax. In the land of the mono eared, one sub is king.

Qsub surely magnificent piece of artillery !

S1chen 08-15-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4RE (Post 630442)
Best upgrade from Qsub is adding another. only then one realise that the "non directional" is a hoax. In the land of the mono eared, one sub is king. Qsub surely magnificent piece of artillery !

The qsub tune correctly to go with the main speaker is totally non directional. At least now it is totally transparent in my system. Unless u have superb ear that can detect direction of frequency below 60hz, two sub will nevertheless better than one.

But unlike any other sub I have experience, the qsub is total inert and even when u see the cone movement, the cabinet remain zero vibration on the top and side panel. Maybe it is this zero vibration of the sub that make it totally colorless and hence I cannot heard any 2nd and 3rd harmonic coming off the sub.

Not easy to tune as there is little instruction given, but if u get it right, I cannot see why I need a big floor standing speaker with only 10" cone or smaller.

I hope one day, I can hear a better combo, but as of now, in the same listening environment, the q1 with qsub take the lead over the mighty wilson alexia and the magico q3.