AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Polishing product for Wilsons ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25695)

Jerome W 03-09-2014 01:44 PM

Polishing product for Wilsons ?

Hello folks,
Dear Debbie,

I noticed today that my Topaz Wilson WP8's have very little stains, looking like fat stains but actually being more like missing spots of varnish. They are not removed by standard polishing clothes including the one provided by Wilson,
They are very small, the biggest ones being no more than 1 mm. Very difficult to take a picture but I will try tomorrow with the sunlight. They are seen only in full sunlight and at close inspection.

Is there a special polishing product for Wilson speakers that could be used for this ?

Thanks a lot,

jpgr4blu 03-09-2014 08:16 PM

Don't know that this answers your question but the paint on Wilson speakers is the same used on high end automobiles. (I think I've heard Ferrari). I use carnuba wax once a year just to shine them up. If there seem to be some irregularities, try a very fine compound and then go to the wax. Just like you would to a fine auto.

Mikado463 03-09-2014 08:18 PM

yep, treat em like you would you favorite ride.............Zaino is a good choice.....Mothers, Maquiers, whatever.

Heck you could probably clay bar them if needed !

tima 03-10-2014 12:10 AM

JohnG of Wilson suggested Plexus. This is a plastic cleaner and polish, and it works quite well.

Jerome W 03-10-2014 01:30 AM

Thanks a lot my friends !

boilerkj 03-10-2014 08:52 PM

I believe the WA uses the 3M Perfect-It line at the end of the paint process:

- 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound (post wet sanding)
- 3M Ultrafine Machine Polish (pre-QA inspection)
- 3M Hand Glaze (final cleaning before protective film is applied)

Debbie was kind enough to inquire for me when I wanted to clean off some "holiday finger prints." Obviously you wouldn't want to use the rubbing compound for basic cleaning purposes (swirl marks), but the polish or glaze should suit you well when used in a side-to-side motion.

Best,
Kevin

Lildebs888 03-11-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boilerkj (Post 588576)
I believe the WA uses the 3M Perfect-It line at the end of the paint process:

- 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound (post wet sanding)
- 3M Ultrafine Machine Polish (pre-QA inspection)
- 3M Hand Glaze (final cleaning before protective film is applied)

Debbie was kind enough to inquire for me when I wanted to clean off some "holiday finger prints." Obviously you wouldn't want to use the rubbing compound for basic cleaning purposes (swirl marks), but the polish or glaze should suit you well when used in a side-to-side motion.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin is right. Our trained craftsman use these products, and know how to use them without damaging the finish (without causing swirl marks). I would not recommend anyone using the rubbing compound unless you are a skilled polisher. Rubbing compound is only used after wet sanding as a first step.

Always use caution when waxing, as always.

I agree that you can treat it like you would a fine car. The paint finish is better on Wilsons than even what's on a Ferrari (you can visibly see orange peel on a Ferrari ' s hood. We wet sand off the Orange peel on most surfaces according to our standards). Because of this, it is easier to see marks and scratches, and can be easier to create swirl marks if you are not careful.

Test product on a small area (perhaps the back where tolerances are not as high, and as noticable. Carnauba waxes are great. I have also used Zymol.

Let me know after you polish them if that resolved the issue.

NOTE: You are all welcome to email me if you ever have a question. I am happy to help! :)

Debby

Jerome W 03-11-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lildebs888

Kevin is right. Our trained craftsman use these products, and know how to use them without damaging the finish (without causing swirl marks). I would not recommend anyone using the rubbing compound unless you are a skilled polisher. Rubbing compound is only used after wet sanding as a first step.

Always use caution when waxing, as always.

I agree that you can treat it like you would a fine car. The paint finish is better on Wilsons than even what's on a Ferrari (you can visibly see orange peel on a Ferrari ' s hood. We wet sand off the Orange peel on most surfaces according to our standards). Because of this, it is easier to see marks and scratches, and can be easier to create swirl marks if you are not careful.

Test product on a small area (perhaps the back where tolerances are not as high, and as noticable. Carnauba waxes are great. I have also used Zymol.

Let me know after you polish them if that resolved the issue.

NOTE: You are all welcome to email me if you ever have a question. I am happy to help! :)

Debby

Thanks a lot Debby !
You're wonderful !

Jean-Marc jmajma 03-11-2014 04:00 PM

I let you do first Jérôme and then you'll teach me....

Lildebs888 03-12-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 588789)

Thanks a lot Debby !
You're wonderful !

You're welcome :)