AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

pstrisik 08-25-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 722421)
The rectifier's voltage drop impacts/changes the sound. The GZ34 has the least voltage drop on the table Twanny posted.

Hmm. Is voltage drop one of the specs we can find in the data sheets? And is there any reliable way to describe the effect, ie, if you have three different tubes with large voltage drop and three with small drop, can we say anything about the sound quality that the members within each group have in common?

It would be fun to list my rectifiers roughly in order of preference, then put the voltage drop figures next to them and see if there is any pattern. (does that make me a geek? :scratch2:)

x3workshop 08-26-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 722428)
It would be fun to list my rectifiers roughly in order of preference, then put the voltage drop figures next to them and see if there is any pattern. (does that make me a geek? :scratch2:)

^:yes:Yes.

BearCityUSA 08-27-2015 08:54 AM

Rectifiers

While on the subject of Rectifiers, for those of you with an LP-2 Preamp, or variant, what are your experiences with rolling this Rectifier socket?

pstrisik 08-27-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 722657)
While on the subject of Rectifiers, for those of you with an LP-2 Preamp, or variant, what are your experiences with rolling this Rectifier socket?

I've got the LP-2 and am currently running a Sophia mesh 274B in it. I find that a clean sounding rectifier seems to fit better than a warmer one. I have a warmer one in the amp (fat bottle Mullard GZ37/CV378). I tried the GZ37 in both pre and amp and things softened too much. I'd have to do some listening tests, but my next go to for a rectifier in the pre might be the Philips or Brimar 5R4GY.

FloridaBoy 08-27-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Hmm. Is voltage drop one of the specs we can find in the data sheets? And is there any reliable way to describe the effect, ie, if you have three different tubes with large voltage drop and three with small drop, can we say anything about the sound quality that the members within each group have in common?

I'm finding that you don't need every rectifier on the planet to make these amps sing.

pstrisik 08-27-2015 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 722732)
I'm finding that you don't need every rectifier on the planet to make these amps sing.

No, just one at a time! :music:

Simonatsea 08-28-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 722663)
I've got the LP-2 and am currently running a Sophia mesh 274B in it. I find that a clean sounding rectifier seems to fit better than a warmer one. I have a warmer one in the amp (fat bottle Mullard GZ37/CV378). I tried the GZ37 in both pre and amp and things softened too much. I'd have to do some listening tests, but my next go to for a rectifier in the pre might be the Philips or Brimar 5R4GY.

I have found that the USAF 596 tube and the EML 5U4 sound pretty amazing. I recently acquired a sophia mesh plate 274b and it pales i comparison. The USAF 596 out shines all rectifiers I have used to date. I just wish I had two! Then I wouldn't be forced to choose if it goes in my LP-2 or my 6V6..... i do find the greatest gains are had with it in my power amp versus the LP-2

My other favourite rectifier is the holland made 5Y3. Lots of clean drive for the 6V6

Just my 2 cents Just packed up my rig, moving, probably wont see it til the New year :(

FloridaBoy 08-30-2015 08:00 AM

Simon, how do you deal with the exposed anodes on the 596?

FloridaBoy 08-30-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Yes and no. I have not compared rectifiers methodically and I'm not sure there is hard and fast pattern. I like 5Z3/5U4G's and 5AR4's with the 6AR6. The 5AR4 is tighter and the 5Z3 has a bit more air in my rig. I am listening to the 6AR6's with a GZ33 and am not sure that I have a preference..yet and what you like may depend on your system. However, I still think the 6AR6 is an excellent tube. :music:

Simonatsea 08-30-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 723150)
Simon, how do you deal with the exposed anodes on the 596?

I bought an adapter off the flea bay, the reviews said there had been some QC problems with these from china. No problem on my end. I did request them test prior to shipping though. Woo Audio also produces an adapter for 60bux.
The tubes are pretty hard to come by though.