AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

slefley 03-23-2015 06:01 PM

Yes I have the same amp in Copper and am using a Sophia 6SL7 driver. I added the Mullard 5AR4 with the Pope's and now the two are very close. The 6V6 comes out on top for transparency while the KT150 have more body/warmth. Honestly I can live with either, and I'm sure in a different system the results could be different.

pstrisik 03-24-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slefley (Post 685897)
Yes I have the same amp in Copper and am using a Sophia 6SL7 driver. I added the Mullard 5AR4 with the Pope's and now the two are very close. The 6V6 comes out on top for transparency while the KT150 have more body/warmth. Honestly I can live with either, and I'm sure in a different system the results could be different.

Indeed. I think it just goes to show how system dependent tube sound is. I found KT150's a bit sterile and towards the bright side while 6v6's I found more musical and warm!

squirrelman 03-24-2015 04:54 PM

For the last few days I had been trying out some cheap JJ EL34 before I went out and grabbed something a lot more expensive. I gave them about 45-50 hrs to break in and observe. They have stronger bass than the 6v6GT Popes, but they just don't have that special something that the Popes do. I can't really pull out the correct words to describe what it is. I will say that the JJ's sounded better than I figured they would, so I think in the future some NOS Mullards or Psvanes will be in order.

Simonatsea 03-27-2015 02:12 AM

My recent acquisition of a 596 tube has forced me to remove a shelf and rejig my setup. May not look the best currently but sounding pretty sweet. The 596 seems to combine the strengths of all my other rectifiers in one tube. Finally enjoying my EML 5U4G as well. Who would of thunk it needed a 6SL7 driver to give it the bight it needed. As for EL34, I have winged C's very full bass but missing the magic/balance of the Popes. I recently acquired cryo winged C 6L6, these I found to be a nicer fit in my inspire amp however I am preferring Popes to all other power tubes atm
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...psj4h0cwua.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...psgnxvvjvd.jpg http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...psfsovhvyi.jpg

crwilli 03-27-2015 08:11 AM

This is a good example of why I enjoy AA so much. I can read the post below but have no idea what any of this stuff is. There are just so many nuances of this hobby. Love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 686894)
My recent acquisition of a 596 tube has forced me to remove a shelf and rejig my setup. May not look the best currently but sounding pretty sweet. The 596 seems to combine the strengths of all my other rectifiers in one tube. Finally enjoying my EML 5U4G as well. Who would of thunk it needed a 6SL7 driver to give it the bight it needed. As for EL34, I have winged C's very full bass but missing the magic/balance of the Popes. I recently acquired cryo winged C 6L6, these I found to be a nicer fit in my inspire amp however I am preferring Popes to all other power tubes atm

squirrelman 04-02-2015 03:14 PM

Has anyone used an Inspire amp with a passive pre, such as maybe the Bottlehead Submissive?

pstrisik 04-02-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelman (Post 688735)
Has anyone used an Inspire amp with a passive pre, such as maybe the Bottlehead Submissive?

I think you need the gain of an active pre unless you have more sensitive speakers than I do. Mine are 93db. I have run the amp straight from my streamer/DAC that has attenuator and is advertised as a preamp - it is passive in that mode - Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. As it is, I have my LP-2 turned up to 3:00 or higher (and use the SM6 for volume control).

squirrelman 04-02-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 688807)
I think you need the gain of an active pre unless you have more sensitive speakers than I do. Mine are 93db. I have run the amp straight from my streamer/DAC that has attenuator and is advertised as a preamp - it is passive in that mode - Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. As it is, I have my LP-2 turned up to 3:00 or higher (and use the SM6 for volume control).

My speakers are Omega full range speakers so they are a touch more sensitive at 95.5db. I was running a Jolida DAC as my preamp, but a Wavelength Brick came up for sale I had been lusting after so I jumped on it. For the time being I'm using a *cringe* Little Bear tube pre I got for $20 to play around with. It doesn't sound bad, other than the annoying buzzing i'm getting in the right channel haha. I plan on ordering a pre from Dennis in a couple weeks when I have the money but was thinking maybe a passive pre would be at least less noisy til then. Maybe i'll just grab a cheap Schiit Sys and see how that goes!

pstrisik 04-02-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelman (Post 688822)
My speakers are Omega full range speakers so they are a touch more sensitive at 95.5db. I was running a Jolida DAC as my preamp, but a Wavelength Brick came up for sale I had been lusting after so I jumped on it. For the time being I'm using a *cringe* Little Bear tube pre I got for $20 to play around with. It doesn't sound bad, other than the annoying buzzing i'm getting in the right channel haha. I plan on ordering a pre from Dennis in a couple weeks when I have the money but was thinking maybe a passive pre would be at least less noisy til then. Maybe i'll just grab a cheap Schiit Sys and see how that goes!

Ha! Are you over on the Omega forum? I've got Omegas as well. Mine are alnico though, so a little lower efficiency. They are Super 7XRS. They will be going up for sale in a bit as I am working with Louis on a pair of his Alnico Monitors and a matching pair of mid-bass modules that will serve as stands as well as filling in the 50-150 or so range. They will have the RS-7V though, not the alnicos. He only made the 7V briefly - same with the 7A (alnico) driver that I also have. Now it's just the RS-7. The 7V has no whizzer - V is for "Vintage".

Anyway, I also happen to have a Schiit Sys. I was using for attenuation of separately amped super tweeter levels. I'm now using a Crown for the tweeters and they have their own level controls. The Sys is simple, inexpensive, and passive. I didn't detect any noise whatsoever. I don't know if it sucked any juice though - I probably wouldn't have noticed with the tweeters alone.

In fact, I'm extra conscious of anything that sucks any of the power before the pre/amp since I am pushing towards the upper end of the gain range already. I'm experimenting with a Paradigm X-30; a subwoofer/crossover unit. I'm not using any of the sub controls, just the high pass filter it has. Running the Inspires and the Omegas with sub 80Hz rolled off (I'm running a pair of subs to handle the low end). But it seems I have to turn volume up higher when it is in the path.

Am I rambling? I'm a ramblin' guy....... (apologies to Steve Martin) :beerchug:

Edit: I see you are over there. You said, "I know I've seen at least one other person here posting who also owns one." That's me! :smoking:

squirrelman 04-02-2015 10:45 PM

Haha yes I am over at the Omega forums too, same username but I haven't posted much. I thought that was you over there as the Inspire looked familiar.

I'm running the Super 3 (3U) with the RS5 drivers and I love them. I've got them in a nearfield setup basically for my computer. Using a first gen Wavelength Brick out of my MBP then for not to that noisy Little Bear pre to my Inspire. Once I finally get around to selling my separate vinyl setup (Magenpan MMG and Peachtree Decco65) my turntable will join in the fun with the Omegas.

I love the Omega speakers, but boy do I have a hankering to try those alnico speakers one of these days! Ok time to go buy a sys, i'll report back once I give it a go.