AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Loop4fun 03-03-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 680123)
Dennis says it is the best amp he's ever heard!

I didn't get the price though, did you?

I'm happy with my KT-150, but this is intriguing. Googling Type 45 tubes says it is a triode, so this amp may be a true SET.

Not sure he's set on the pricing, so I'd hate to put it here... But I did order one. :) In copper, to match my 6v6.

He said it's a true set and I would guess about two watts output. (I didn't ask!) My speakers are 16ohm/100db and will easily work.

Aercool 03-03-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 680126)
Sorry you're not getting replies. I don't know the answer, even googled a bit but didn't find anything. Didn't want your query to go ignored! :no:

I couldn't find an answer either - but I do recall reading that it was a comparable voltage drop to something like a 5R4Y, i.e. a large voltage drop.

pstrisik 03-04-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 680190)
I couldn't find an answer either - but I do recall reading that it was a comparable voltage drop to something like a 5R4Y, i.e. a large voltage drop.

I don't begin to understand the workings, but I read that larger voltage drop increases mid-range quality - on average, I guess. :scratch2:

pstrisik 03-04-2015 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loop4fun (Post 680174)
Not sure he's set on the pricing, so I'd hate to put it here... But I did order one. :) In copper, to match my 6v6.

He said it's a true set and I would guess about two watts output. (I didn't ask!) My speakers are 16ohm/100db and will easily work.

I wouldn't want to go down in power. My speakers aren't sensitive enough 93db and 8ohms. I'm configured now at 5wpc in the KT-150 and I'm good.

Congratulations. Going for two amps. That would make it a grand experiment or me, but don't want to incur the cost of two right now. Reworking my speaker setup's keeping me busy and frugal for now! :D

I like that copper, too. If I couldn't get red, that would be my choice and I'd be plenty happy.

nhparrot 03-04-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 680197)
I don't begin to understand the workings, but I read that larger voltage drop increases mid-range quality - on average, I guess. :scratch2:

Thanks Peter, could not find anything definitive either.

There is a rectifier review online, since it is on another forum just google "Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison" , also check this link for a discussion of how a rectifier impacts the sonics of an amp tubemaze.info/sound-of-rectifier - Tube Maze

nhparrot 03-07-2015 05:44 PM

Been listening to my 6L6 Fire Bottle today with a set of NOS tubes - a pair of Hytron 6V6's, a Zytron labelled Tung-Sol 6SL7, and a RCA 5Y3GT. Sounds very nice. Surprising sound and power from the 6V6's.

pstrisik 03-08-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 681381)
Been listening to my 6L6 Fire Bottle today with a set of NOS tubes - a pair of Hytron 6V6's, a Zytron labelled Tung-Sol 6SL7, and a RCA 5Y3GT. Sounds very nice. Surprising sound and power from the 6V6's.

Glad you are liking them. I've never tried Hytrons. Have tried a number of other 6v6s. If you like them, time to give Popes a try! They're not too expensive and won't stay available forever I'm sure. I also have liked NOS Sylvanias and National Union.

An RCA5Y3GT is what I'm using for the rectifier also. My driver is different tube type though.

Aercool 03-13-2015 08:36 PM

Has anyone noticed that the LP-2 preamp will still allow music to pass through when powered off? I wonder if it's just like a pass-thru loop when not on?

andytts 03-14-2015 11:23 AM

My QMB25 sounding very nice tonight!

nhparrot 03-14-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 681381)

Tried a pair of RCA 6V6 GT/G VT107-A in the amp and they are indistinguishable sound-wise from the Hytron 6V6GT's I have been using. Unfortunately, one of the RCA's is noisy. Also tried a Tung-Sol 6SU7 as a driver and it is probably the best 6SL7 type I have tried so far.