AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

pstrisik 10-25-2014 05:41 PM

A nice CD for sure. Good recommendation!

Unfortuately (I guess), it sounded fine to me. Track 1 on Disc 2 did have noticeably more bass, but not to the point of imbalance or distortion. Could it be that you have a bad track? Are you listening to the CD or a file?

Breakdown7 11-07-2014 05:38 PM

Just ordered that Lucinda Williams "Car "Wheels" and looking forward to hearing it. Should sound good on my Inspire QMB-25 6v6 mono-blocks :thumbsup: If I really enjoy the album, I'll have to spring for the vinyl.

Simonatsea 11-08-2014 05:03 AM

Wow! Coming in with the 6v6 mono blocks! Did you own a previous inspire so as to give your thoughts on comparison? Welcome to the thread

Simonatsea 11-08-2014 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 645013)
I'm not ready to say regarding Pope/Visseaux. They are very similar. I have to go back and forth a bit. I have a pair of the =C= EL34 also. They are what got me interested in that type. They do have strong bass. Not too strong though, IMO. I thought the same thing about my single driver Omegas when I put those tubes in.

Do you have your mind made up yet? I am half tempted to get a pair of both the Pope and Visseaux.... NOS tubes like this won't always be readily available. Love to hear your thoughts..

pstrisik 11-08-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 649145)
Do you have your mind made up yet? I am half tempted to get a pair of both the Pope and Visseaux.... NOS tubes like this won't always be readily available. Love to hear your thoughts..

Audio evaluations are tricky.

I haven't had the Visseaux in again. I found a pair of National Union VT-107A that I initially thought out did all of them. After a couple of days went back to the popes and again liked them better. I will try the Visseaux' again,but I think the Popes are right up there in reliable, pleasing sound. Some of these other tubes give an initial "wow", but over time, I keep coming back to the Popes.

I'm doing the same back and forth with 274B with the Sophia top of the pack, even over a Brimar made 274B and a Phillips 274B - two of the very highly rated NOS. But I should give both of the others more of a chance with some break in and getting accustomed time.

Also, the same process with drivers. Default is the Russian 6N1P that Dennis supplied. I tried a Voskhod Rocket 6N1P which seemed a bit bright. I tried a 1971 SQ Philips Holland 6DJ8 and a 1969 Mullard 6DJ8 but still seem to like the Russian. Same thing though, I need to run the others a bit more to assess. I ordered a pair of NOS Voskhod Rocket Single Wire Grey Shield 6N23P and a pair of NOS Reflektor 6N23P to experiment further. Both have very good reviews. The "single wire grey shield" is supposed to be the best version of that tube. These were easy to try as they aren't very expensive.

Having said all of that, I would suggest getting a pair of both the Popes and Visseaux'. The Popes are affordable and definitely keepers. The Visseaux's are more money, but rarer, and still up there. I think both will only go up in value. The Visseaux's are harder to find so already are increasing. HITEST Guitars sells the Visseaux's for less than Upscale and he has seemed quite earnest in matching - asked about my amp and even researched to match best with it.

So, currently, I am running the Russian 6N1P that Dennis supplied, Sophia 274B and Pope 6V6.

On another note..........
I added a pair of economical used Vifa supertweeters to my single driver Omegas and really found some improvement in holography, air and sparkle. Enough so that I'm off and running in the DIY department making two pairs of supertweeters from vintage tweeters pulled from vintage speakers. One pair is Yamaha beryllium domes, the other Pioneer (TAD made) ribbons. Both pretty cheap. I'm now working on housings and hi pass filters. This is an exciting and fun side trip I found to further my hobby!

I'm going into great detail with photos on the Omega forum in AudioCircle (not allowed to post the link here :sigh:). Thread is "Supertweeters with Omegas - integration, etc."

It really is remarkable. I've had a couple of recent evenings that were the best audio experiences I've ever had. I find myself smiling while listening. It's all gravy now! :thumbsup:

Breakdown7 11-08-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 649144)
Wow! Coming in with the 6v6 mono blocks! Did you own a previous inspire so as to give your thoughts on comparison? Welcome to the thread

Yes, I also own a KT-88 Inspire and and LP-1 preamp. I absolutely love all my Dennis Had gear. The QMB-25 mono blocks are nothing like I've ever heard before. They have all the richness and midrange magic of the 6V6 sound, but have a lot of power! I would describe their sound as very similar to my KT-88 amp (which I run 6V6 RCA tubes) but with more punch, dynamics, separation, etc. My 6V6 mono-blocks are only several months old, while my KT-88 and LP-1 were built in 2012. Dennis is such a nice guy to deal with, and I am thrilled to have his amps. Because I am a new member, pics will have to wait. I really have enjoyed reading this thread.

nhparrot 11-09-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 609435)
That special edition offering is stunning.

For the past few weeks I have been discussing recommendations for a build with Dennis, and in the near future he will be building me a KT77 Fire-Bottle.

My KT77 Fire-Bottle project got put on hold earlier this year. Back talking with Dennis about replanning that build. Will fill folks in on the details as they come together.

pstrisik 11-09-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown7 (Post 649299)
Yes, I also own a KT-88 Inspire and and LP-1 preamp. I absolutely love all my Dennis Had gear. The QMB-25 mono blocks are nothing like I've ever heard before. They have all the richness and midrange magic of the 6V6 sound, but have a lot of power! I would describe their sound as very similar to my KT-88 amp (which I run 6V6 RCA tubes) but with more punch, dynamics, separation, etc. My 6V6 mono-blocks are only several months old, while my KT-88 and LP-1 were built in 2012. Dennis is such a nice guy to deal with, and I am thrilled to have his amps. Because I am a new member, pics will have to wait. I really have enjoyed reading this thread.

Welcome Breakdown7! Are you running the monos with the Popes and Sophia 274B? Seems that's what he started them with. Top shelf!

pstrisik 11-09-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 649390)
My KT77 Fire-Bottle project got put on hold earlier this year. Back talking with Dennis about replanning that build. Will fill folks in on the details as they come together.

What KT77's will you be running?

jdandy 11-09-2014 02:53 PM

Breakdown7.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave: