AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

pechelman 07-30-2019 11:06 PM

Thanks, everyone. Definitely going to leave everything alone for at least a month or two before I do anything. If anything at all. Just want to know where to focus reading and research on my options.

I did end up springing for the stepped attenuator "ultra" version but in Black to match the amp I have now. It was your post earlier that made me ask him about it in the first place. :)

decooney 07-31-2019 09:10 AM

The hardest part is those first 30 days of burn-in and keeping oneself from doing any overly critical listening or making premature judgment until all the tubes, caps, bits settle in.

maro 07-31-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 974702)
The hardest part is those first 30 days of burn-in and keeping oneself from doing any overly critical listening or making premature judgment until all the tubes, caps, bits settle in.

I've had excellent results with the Purist Audio Design burn in disc. Using it speeds up the break in process noticeably. The disc will cost about $100 but is a great investment as it can be used whenever something that needs burn in is changed.

oddeophile 07-31-2019 12:06 PM

+1. It’s the only one I’ve used now in the past several years. By far the best results.
BTW use it at least once a month to keep your system up to snuff.
I also use just the demagnetization section before critical listening.

pechelman 08-09-2019 08:54 PM

Got the preamp yesterday. Haven't given it a bunch of listening yet but first impressions were noticable. Specially was surprised by the change in soundstage widening and deepening. Also seemed to aid in the separation of instruments a little. Definitely added top end which I thought was a little rolled before. One negative is that it seems to have gotten rid of the silent/pure black transitions between tracks. Not sure I notice any difference in the playback of a track. Working with brand new interconnects too so I have that to contend with as well. And less than ideal cable routing due to my space.

Overall very enjoyable and going to give this at least a solid month or two before thinking about doing anything.

bing! 08-09-2019 11:39 PM

I just bought a used pre, the LP3a. Also got some Westinghouse copper rod 6SN7s and a Sylvania 5Y3WGTA to replace the JJ's on it.

I wont be able to test it for a little while. I'm waiting for a pair of XLR shorting bars for my amp to go single ended.

It's going to be an unusual pairing. I think I've optimized my system as much as I can afford. The pre will replace a Jolida Fusion pre with Telefunken 12AX7s and RCA black plate 12AT7s. Downstream is an Audio Research VT100 with Genalex Gold Lion 6922s and Sovtek 6550WEs. Its already a pretty good sounding rig. I'm just trying to find just a tad more realism. My speakers are Zu Omen Defs.

Masterlu 08-09-2019 11:45 PM

bing!... Welcome to AA! :wave:

bing! 08-10-2019 12:06 AM

Thanks MLU, Happy to be here!

bing! 08-17-2019 02:51 PM

For whatever reason, my phono stage, when set to MC/HIGH gain has a hum with the Inspire LP3A. Not so with my Jolida Fusion Pre, and not so when I change the gain to LOW.

It would be a shame to forego my Dynavector 20x2 low just because the Pre can't handle such high gain.

Bombadil 08-17-2019 09:39 PM

It has a hum both with and without being connected to your turntable?