AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Musica Amantem 05-18-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 915464)
This from Dennis:
The way to turn an Inspire stereo amp into a mono...simply parallel the inputs with a "Y" connector, and parallel the speaker outputs, Red to Red as one and Black to Black as one.
This will double the output power.
Keep in mind this is not to be confused with "bridge amplifier"

Got it. Simple enough, and quite tempting! Thanks for the information, Straitwire.

decooney 05-19-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 915464)
This from Dennis:
The way to turn an Inspire stereo amp into a mono...simply parallel the inputs with a "Y" connector, and parallel the speaker outputs, Red to Red as one and Black to Black as one.
This will double the output power.
Keep in mind this is not to be confused with "bridge amplifier"

I apologize for the redundant question, but wanna be sure before I try something that could damage my amp. When I asked Dennis about mono blocks a few weeks ago, he suggested that I use one amp for the highs and one amp for the lows. My speakers are bi-ampable, to simply bi-amp my speakers instead with two of my Inspire HotRod KT150 amps.

I saw a comment earlier indicating this mono use function works only on the "bigger" amps. I don't know which amps are the "bigger" amps are from Dennis' recent line... Gotta few questions for anyone who knows for sure:

QUESTIONS:
1) does this option to turn an Inspire amp into "mono" (red&red, black&black to one speaker each amp), also include my recently Inspire Hot Rod KT150 too? Is this one of the "bigger" amps that qualify for this too?

2) does the "mono" use option somehow yield more power output vs. using two stereo amps and just bi-amping my speakers instead?

3) are there any other advantages of running each amps as a mono amp to one speaker each vs. running as a stereo amp bi-amped to separate speakers?

...thanks in advance for your replies.

Musica Amantem 05-19-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 915535)
I apologize for the redundant question, but wanna be sure before I try something that could damage my amp. When I asked Dennis about mono blocks a few weeks ago, he suggested that I use one amp for the highs and one amp for the lows. My speakers are bi-ampable, to simply bi-amp my speakers instead with two of my Inspire HotRod KT150 amps.

I saw a comment earlier indicating this mono use function works only on the "bigger" amps. I don't know which amps are the "bigger" amps are from Dennis' recent line... Gotta few questions for anyone who knows for sure:

QUESTIONS:
1) does this option to turn an Inspire amp into "mono" (red&red, black&black to one speaker each amp), also include my recently Inspire Hot Rod KT150 too? Is this one of the "bigger" amps that qualify for this too?

2) does the "mono" use option somehow yield more power output vs. using two stereo amps and just bi-amping my speakers instead?

3) are there any other advantages of running each amps as a mono amp to one speaker each vs. running as a stereo amp bi-amped to separate speakers?

...thanks in advance for your replies.

Certainly no expert here! But, I understand bi-amping works best when amps are quite different, for example one more suited to move lower frequencies and the other amp better suited for mid-range and high frequencies, so as to optimize each amp's strong points in the overall presentation.

I would assume (and I may be wrong, of course) that using equivalent amps in bi-amping would not bring much of a difference as compared to the mono-block approach, and it would probably not double the power given the limited demands of power on the higher frequencies (i.e., the amp going for mid and highs does not need to go all the way as the load is lower in relation to the other amp's load, so there would be a limit on the overall power on offer).

Please consult your audio physician before considering this opinion!:D

decooney 05-20-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 915573)
.. I understand bi-amping works best when amps are quite different, for example one more suited to move lower frequencies and the other amp better suited for mid-range and high frequencies, so as to optimize each amp's strong points in the overall presentation...

Using some of my other (tube and solid state) amplifier gear, I attempted this type of approach recently with moderate success, finding that matching two different type power amps (and particularly without separate gain/volume controls) is not as seamless or musical as I had hoped, or at least how I tried it. In fact, I felt the experiment was a complete failure in terms of attempting to achieve better sound. I then went back and re-tested each individual power amp standalone - much better.

This kinda led me back to the idea of using two (closely matched) DH Inspire KT150 Hot Rod amps in a bi-amp or mono block configuration. I'm not sure I can just buy a second one and hope it all works out.

Gonna wait and see if Dennis or Straightwire or someone else tries it first and reports results back to this group though...

FloridaBoy 05-20-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 915624)
Using some of my other (tube and solid state) amplifier gear, I attempted this type of approach recently with moderate success, finding that matching two different type power amps (and particularly without separate gain/volume controls) is not as seamless or musical as I had hoped, or at least how I tried it. In fact, I felt the experiment was a complete failure in terms of attempting to achieve better sound. I then went back and re-tested each individual power amp standalone - much better.

This kinda led me back to the idea of using two (closely matched) DH Inspire KT150 Hot Rod amps in a bi-amp or mono block configuration. I'm not sure I can just buy a second one and hope it all works out.

Gonna wait and see if Dennis or Straightwire or someone else tries it first and reports results back to this group though...

Perhaps you missed this post?

Originally Posted by straitwire.

This from Dennis: The way to turn an Inspire stereo amp into a mono...simply parallel the inputs with a "Y" connector, and parallel the speaker outputs, Red to Red as one and Black to Black as one. This will double the output power. Keep in mind this is not to be confused with "bridge amplifier"

decooney 05-20-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 915685)
Perhaps you missed this post?

Originally Posted by straitwire.

This from Dennis: The way to turn an Inspire stereo amp into a mono...simply parallel the inputs with a "Y" connector, and parallel the speaker outputs, Red to Red as one and Black to Black as one. This will double the output power. Keep in mind this is not to be confused with "bridge amplifier"

Thanks FloridaBoy. Yeah, I saw it, that's what prompted me as per the "double the power" note. So, can a single Inspire KT150 amp normally running 12w/12w per channel now yield something greater than a 24 watt mono amp when wired in parallel?

If not, then one can run two Inspire stereo amps and bi-amp a pair of speakers and effectively produce the same result I'm guessing.

FloridaBoy 05-21-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 915725)
Thanks FloridaBoy. Yeah, I saw it, that's what prompted me as per the "double the power" note. So, can a single Inspire KT150 amp normally running 12w/12w per channel now yield something greater than a 24 watt mono amp when wired in parallel?
If not, then one can run two Inspire stereo amps and bi-amp a pair of speakers and effectively produce the same result I'm guessing.

That it what Dennis is saying. The Y connectors appear to parallel the amps and doubles the power.

decooney 05-21-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 915743)
That it what Dennis is saying. The Y connectors appear to parallel the amps and doubles the power.

Okay. So, it's merely a total sum of the two twelve watt channels (~up to 24 watts maybe)and not something more like you would see from bridging an amp. Thx.

Musica Amantem 05-21-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 915743)

It is the pairing of the speaker cables going into a single speaker which doubles the power. The Interconnect Y splitters are required to feed the original single preamp signal to both amplifiers.

Again, I do not see the point in bi-amping with similar amps. Much better and more power-yielding to do the mono-block approach as described by Dennis. Just my $0.02.

Comzee 05-22-2018 03:09 PM

Idk if people are still rolling tubes, but I got a fancy set in right now, 2x Visseaux 6L6, 1x Tung-Sol 6sn7 black round plate, 1x U52 rectifier.
https://i.imgur.com/xFcIplO.jpg
Love this amp!

On a side note, I've been trying to get Dennis to make me a hot-rod triode strap for headphone use, but can't seem to get thru to him. Idk if he's super busy or just doesn't want to take on extra projects, :(