AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

pstrisik 03-28-2016 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 770347)
The ZBit was especially designed to take the balanced output from your DAC or receiver (or CD Player with balanced outputs) and control its total output voltage from Zero to the Max output voltage from your device (in my case you can adjust the balanced voltage out of my Yggrasil from 0 to the nominal max of 4 Volts). Then, it transfers this balanced signal into the RCA single-ended output in the ZBit, which in turn connects to the RCA inputs in your Inspire.

Uh oh! :lala:

My DAC has a balanced output! :lala:

Musica Amantem 03-29-2016 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 770419)
Uh oh! :lala:

My DAC has a balanced output! :lala:

Well, you can certainly try to experiment the sound difference, Ceteris Paribus, by yourself. I think it is quite worth it in all those cases where you absolutely do not require the dynamics/headroom provided by the preamp. Acoustic jazz and vocals being the ideal examples. The improved texture I perceive in the resulting sound is very evident to my ears. YMMV

Formerly YB-2 03-29-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 770309)
Glenn,

Just click "Advanced" next to the search button on the right. There is an option to limit results to a particular seller. You can also specify open or closed listings to see what is for sale or what has been sold or listings that expired without sale.

Thank you.

pstrisik 03-29-2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 770539)
Well, you can certainly try to experiment the sound difference, Ceteris Paribus, by yourself. I think it is quite worth it in all those cases where you absolutely do not require the dynamics/headroom provided by the preamp. Acoustic jazz and vocals being the ideal examples. The improved texture I perceive in the resulting sound is very evident to my ears. YMMV

Yes, I could. My cryptic reply was that yet another possibility to investigate just surfaced that would cost $650 and I was pretending not to hear!

Musica Amantem 03-30-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 770604)
Yes, I could. My cryptic reply was that yet another possibility to investigate just surfaced that would cost $650 and I was pretending not to hear!

Believe me, I know the feeling ... I'm in the same boat with other potential improvements ... This never ends, it seems :nono:

Coltrane1 03-30-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etunes (Post 769831)
Who is the speaker designer/brand for these speakers?

Thx

They're built by Mike Kelly, a Pacific Northwest wood craftsman who happens to be an audiophile as well...Mike built baffles that were unique, appealing, and real solid wood...all hand carved...no laminates, no filler...the old school way. You can occasionally catch Mike on the Hawthorne Audio forum...they specialize in Open Baffle speakers there

hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

I don't own OB's any more so I don't frequent that forum any longer...but OB's provide the absolute tightest and natural sounding bass I've ever owned. You've never heard jazz bass until you've heard it through a pair of 15" subs, aka Augie's

Enjoy

FloridaBoy 03-31-2016 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 770110)
Thanks Peter,

I will keep my eye open for a pair visseauxs. I have yet to try a el34 yet. Of late I have been direct my $ toward nos bargain selections and avoiding the top dollar choices. I wonder if there are any suggested NEW tube makes of the EL34 from our friends here. FB?

I never really warmed up to EL34's. I still have a Triode Corp TRK88 SE amp that uses EL34 or KT88's. The GL KT77 is a nice tube. I believe that the input tube may have a bigger impact on sonics than the power tube in these amps. YMMV.

FloridaBoy 03-31-2016 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_kc (Post 770089)
I also am trying to avoid the temptation of trying every possible tube, particularly since I’ve achieved excellent results with the current combination of tubes in my Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO: 6N2P-EV / GT6L6 GE (6L6GC) / 5AR4.

Nonetheless I’m tempted by 6V6GTs based on all of the favorable comments. A Genalex Gold Lion 6V6GT Platinum Matched Tube Set is available on-line for $54.75 including shipping. Presumably I’d pair it with the 5U4 that was supplied with my amp. My concern is that I can’t give up any of the gain and power that I need for classical music. Bottom line: thus far I’ve not clicked on the Buy It Now button …

I have the GL 6V6GT's. They are very 'clean' sounding and can handle a 5AR4 rectifier.

robert_kc 03-31-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 770896)
I have the GL 6V6GT's. They are very 'clean' sounding and can handle a 5AR4 rectifier.

How do Gold Lion 6V6GT's compare with 6L6GC's in terms of sound quality, and gain?

nhparrot 03-31-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 770153)
Can find nothing from DH on eBay. How does one contact him in order to place an order?

Glenn,
There is someone reselling a Dennis Had built amp and preamp on another audio site. Contact if interested and I will pass on the info.

The other Glenn