AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Is there a portable DAP that works with car USB? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46685)

audioguy3107 09-17-2019 05:00 PM

Is there a portable DAP that works with car USB?

Seems like it's a bit hard to find this by reading product descriptions......I'm going to need a new portable digital audio player soon, my iPod classic is almost out of room and I'm too lazy to fool with doing the SSD upgrade you read about online. I really only use it for the car and travel...my question is do any of the higher end portable players out there like the A&K, Sony or Onkyo output audio through USB so you can hook it up through your USB input on your car and be able to use the integrated media system that your car has? I know that the line output will offer better sound quality, but I've been spoiled by iPod integration over the years since it's such a user friendly system and you don't have to access the device itself, but I cannot find any info as to whether the newer portable players have this capability.

- Buck

doggiehowser 09-17-2019 11:46 PM

If USB integration with a head unit is important, why not just use an iPhone?

audioguy3107 09-18-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 979970)
If USB integration with a head unit is important, why not just use an iPhone?

Well, I have a somewhat high end car system.....McIntosh amplifier, Audison digital processor and Focal Utopia speakers. Anything Bluetooth pretty much sounds like crap whether it’s on the phone or streaming from Tidal. Direct connection through the iPod media interface sounds excellent. I would assume that a player like an Astell &Kern would sound even better but I would have to use the line input and the players interface....that’s why I was wondering if any of the brands out there can use USB out to the car.

- Buck

bart 09-18-2019 01:18 PM

I connect my iPhone to the car system, and it's pretty good (my car supports Apple Carplay).
Would be like with your iPod now.
Of course, if you want 24/96 or higher, that won't work (yet).

doggiehowser 09-18-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 979983)
Well, I have a somewhat high end car system.....McIntosh amplifier, Audison digital processor and Focal Utopia speakers. Anything Bluetooth pretty much sounds like crap whether it’s on the phone or streaming from Tidal. Direct connection through the iPod media interface sounds excellent. I would assume that a player like an Astell &Kern would sound even better but I would have to use the line input and the players interface....that’s why I was wondering if any of the brands out there can use USB out to the car.

- Buck

I meant iPhone USB. It’s still an iPod.

-E- 09-18-2019 06:47 PM

If you have an Android device there's an app called USB Audio Player Pro - turns your USB port into what is called OTG; you can add a DAC to it via USB and playback on your phone. Quite the mobile hifi solution. I use it when traveling.

Not sure if there is an iOS version of it.

doggiehowser 09-19-2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -E- (Post 980033)
If you have an Android device there's an app called USB Audio Player Pro - turns your USB port into what is called OTG; you can add a DAC to it via USB and playback on your phone. Quite the mobile hifi solution. I use it when traveling.

Not sure if there is an iOS version of it.

On the iPhone a USB camera kit allows you to plug in a USB DAC.

Works with pretty much any app that plays audio out.

Thing is - he’s looking for a different USB connection. Where the car head unit acts as the host and draws music out from an iPod.

In his case, I’d just use an old iPhone with a standard USB sync charge cable for his music.

If he has an Apple Music subscription, he can even just ask SIRI to play the songs.

-E- 09-19-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 980069)
On the iPhone a USB camera kit allows you to plug in a USB DAC.

Works with pretty much any app that plays audio out.

Thing is - he’s looking for a different USB connection. Where the car head unit acts as the host and draws music out from an iPod.

In his case, I’d just use an old iPhone with a standard USB sync charge cable for his music.

If he has an Apple Music subscription, he can even just ask SIRI to play the songs.

I was sort of going down that road... Is there an Apple version of Android Auto? I know there's AirPlay and such but something that ports the OS over USB? A buddy just got a new car that has the capability for Android Auto, I'll have to mess with it to see if I can get Audio Player Pro to work on-car-screen.

bart 09-20-2019 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -E- (Post 980146)
I was sort of going down that road... Is there an Apple version of Android Auto? I know there's AirPlay and such but something that ports the OS over USB? A buddy just got a new car that has the capability for Android Auto, I'll have to mess with it to see if I can get Audio Player Pro to work on-car-screen.

E, as I mentioned above, there is Apple Carplay.
Works like a charm with a lot of apps.

SteveJ 10-11-2019 02:38 PM

I just started looking for a new head unit. I have an Android phone so I need to go with Android Auto. I'm looking to see if there is a way to control my Onkyo DP-X1a from the head unit.

If not, connecting by 3.5mm stereo will be ok. Also, there are a number of head units that support Tidal, that would be ok too.