AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   USB from HAP-Z1ES to DP-720 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39377)

RascerMan 05-14-2017 06:18 AM

USB from HAP-Z1ES to DP-720

Has any members being able to get Sony HAP-Z1ES's new firmware update, which now outputs digital via USB, to work with Accuphase DP-720. If so how.
I am thinking I have to some how get the USB drivers disk into Sony but have no idea how to do this. Any comments welcome.

crwilli 05-14-2017 08:55 AM

USB from HAP-Z1ES to DP-720

This is from another post I made on the same connections into a TEAC UD503 which also requires ASIO drivers. Try these steps to get it to work with your Accuphase DAC.
----------

Quick update on the HAP-Z1ES I have set up for a friend and on using the USB output. The question has been whether or not it would work with a DAC that requires ASIO drivers such as the Esoteric/TEAC DACs that I own.

I have the Sony connected to my vintage system in SC running by coax into my McIntosh C35 and via WW Platinum Starlight USB into a TEAC UD-503. Of course, it sounds great via the coax. I continue to impressed with the electronics inside the Sony.

You must make two changes for the Sony USB output to work. First, in the 'Settings' - 'Audio settings' sub-menu, you must set 'USB Digital Output' to 'Auto' and Second you must set 'DSD Output (DoP) to 'On'.

Using the USB output works well streaming all my 16 and 24 Bit FLAC and DSD files.

audio bill 05-14-2017 10:36 AM

I believe that most provided USB drivers are for Windows PCs, and since the Sony does not use Windows they would be pointless. Many (but not all) USB DACs work fine when connected to the Sony's USB output without requiring any additional drivers, if you feel that your external DAC outperforms Sony's internal DAC.

crwilli 05-14-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 846831)
I believe that most provided USB drivers are for Windows PCs, and since the Sony does not use Windows they would be pointless. Many (but not all) USB DACs work fine when connected to the Sony's USB output without requiring any additional drivers, if you feel that your external DAC outperforms Sony's internal DAC.

That is what I understand as well.

The key to getting the USB output to work for me, was adjusting the output settings within the Sony.

crwilli 05-14-2017 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This HAP -Z1ES will go to its owner this Tuesday so I decided to check it out on my system this morning to see if it will play over its USB output to my K03X.

The answer is Yes. Configured as I mention above. Note the K03x reads DSD2.8 and is only connected to the Sony via USB.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...0&d=1494778653

Attachment 50360

RascerMan 05-16-2017 07:41 PM

Note I have already tried these settings. Still not working.

RascerMan 05-16-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 846820)
This is from another post I made on the same connections into a TEAC UD503 which also requires ASIO drivers. Try these steps to get it to work with your Accuphase DAC.
----------

Quick update on the HAP-Z1ES I have set up for a friend and on using the USB output. The question has been whether or not it would work with a DAC that requires ASIO drivers such as the Esoteric/TEAC DACs that I own.

I have the Sony connected to my vintage system in SC running by coax into my McIntosh C35 and via WW Platinum Starlight USB into a TEAC UD-503. Of course, it sounds great via the coax. I continue to impressed with the electronics inside the Sony.

You must make two changes for the Sony USB output to work. First, in the 'Settings' - 'Audio settings' sub-menu, you must set 'USB Digital Output' to 'Auto' and Second you must set 'DSD Output (DoP) to 'On'.

Using the USB output works well streaming all my 16 and 24 Bit FLAC and DSD files.

Note I have already changed settings on Sony, still not working.

RascerMan 05-16-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

I have a drivers disk which came with DP-720, but do not know how to install on said Sony

RascerMan 05-16-2017 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=crwilli;846832]That is what I understand as well.

The key to getting the USB output to work for me, was adjusting the output settings within the Sony.[/QUOTE

Thanks for reply have tried settings change, did not help.

RascerMan 05-16-2017 09:01 PM

Quote:

I have the drivers disk that came with Accuphase DP-720(can't say what flavour), but do not know how to install on said Sony. Yes I feel that the DAC's in my DP-720 should be better than Sony's but until I get up and running to do an A/B can not really say. This the main reason to try. I have inputted Sony into Acc. DG-58 via Bal. line in and like it but ANG/DIG addition stage not ideal. Would like to use USB on DP-720 and use DG-58 loop to determine if it is the DG-58 processing that I am preferring. If all fails will continue to input to Acc. C-2850 via Bal. line and send to Acc. A-70 x2 for listening though my Martin Logan ESL-15A's.