AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Racks & Furniture (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   What To Do With All Those Cd's ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=21949)

aclearspot 07-07-2013 12:44 PM

What To Do With All Those Cd's ?

I know some of you guys have acres of cd's, what did you do with after loading them on to your server. I only have a modest collection of a little over 600 and I have decided that for every new cd I will get rid of one( haha). However my original thought was to keep a few (240)on the main floor with the system and the rest as storage in the basement. While i'm sure I will use the Olive, there is something organic in getting a cd , loading it and kicking back with a drink and maybe looking at the cd's booklet. I don't want relegate to putting them in basement, who knows whats lurking down there( house was built in 1904). I've been thinking of a home built rack that i could stick behind a door with an available space of 10"d x26"w x64"h, not sure if that's the look I want. Any ideas or pics ?

kev313 07-07-2013 03:36 PM

I've used Boltz racks in the past. Not bad, but I don't really want to display my CDs. I currently have most on my Sooloos system. I also have a CD player on another system and I keep those that I use with that system in a closed cabinet. The rest are boxed and in storage.

Related story: I recent saw a real estate write up on a relatively normal site (Curbed Chicago) where they had a blast making fun of a room on a house for sale that had built in cd storage. If I recall correctly, it was a "how 90s!" criticism. It was ruthless. On par with a discovery of shag carpeting. My first thought was "My god....didn't the 90s JUST END?!" My second was a realization that, no, they did not, and no one buys CDs. No one normal, anyway. Just us :)

Still-One 07-07-2013 03:49 PM

I don't collect music, I listen to it. I have one Boltz rack that holds about 600-700 CD"s. About 80% of those are loaded onto MDMS (Sooloos) and/or the MS-300. As I add new CD's I delete those that I do not listen to from the servers and trade or give away the physical discs. (I do not load discs and sell or give away discs. That is not legal in the US).

I would give up the hobby before I had to live in a cluttered up room like Ken Kesslers. :no

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/sites/13/i.../kessler1a.jpg

jdandy 07-07-2013 04:23 PM

Jim.......One man's clutter is another man's cozy. :)

For Ken, vinyl has to be kept to be played.

-E- 07-07-2013 04:25 PM

Join us in 2013... ditch the spinning discs.

"Let go of your blankie."

Masterlu 07-07-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesuvius (Post 510126)

Never! ;)

http://ftp.theknittree.com/images/mhk2.jpg

-E- 07-07-2013 04:31 PM

We still need to work on you Ivan... :)

harri009 07-07-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesuvius (Post 510126)

Anyone wanting to ditch the disc can happily send to me where I will keep it safe. ;)

Masterlu 07-07-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesuvius (Post 510129)
We still need to work on you Ivan... :)

I have certainly adopted the music server, as I have more than a few. I just find there are times I like to play the actual disc; especially in some of the higher end players.

Volks 07-07-2013 05:00 PM

CD's/SACD's and Vinyl are still my main format of choice......my Olive is used mostly for "Background" music and i would despise having an actual laptop in my Audio System

Still-One 07-07-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volks (Post 510136)
CD's/SACD's and Vinyl are still my main format of choice......my Olive is used mostly for "Background" music and i would despise having an actual laptop in my Audio System

Like hanging Fuzzy Dice from a Ferrari's mirror.

Still-One 07-07-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 510124)
Jim.......One man's clutter is another man's cozy. :)

For Ken, vinyl has to be kept to be played.

It isn't just the vinyl, all the extra gear piled up.

jdandy 07-07-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 510139)
It isn't just the vinyl, all the extra gear piled up.

Jim.......I see a McIntosh piece back there. Can't throw that away. :no:

I wonder how many people can identify all the vintage gear he has stacked up.

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/sites/13/i.../kessler1a.jpg

Volks 07-07-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 510138)

LOL if thats the case then long live the Fuzzy Dice:thumbsup:

Masterlu 07-07-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 510138)

Would you rather...

http://www.wtop.com/emedia/wtop/24/2440/244001.jpg

:lmao:

Volks 07-07-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 510149)

Haha :)

Masterlu 07-07-2013 05:35 PM

Back on topic, I have a custom made media storage area under one of my basement staircases.

It is made of white vinyl covered wood, and very well lit. It provides me with storage for well over 2000 CD's or BR's.

The best part is this would have been considered dead space by any normal person.

I'll post some pics next time I have my camera down there. :ok:

bzr 07-07-2013 06:04 PM

No brainer!

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...c68ddb9b_o.jpg

o0OBillO0o 07-07-2013 06:06 PM

If you are that attached to your CD collection, make a conscious decision to accomodate them. Any number of racks or shelves can do the trick.

The future of media (Video, Books, and Music) is that it will all be cataloged tagged with endless amounts of meta data and indexed in a manner to occupy less space that Video Discs, Audio Discs, Vinyl Records and/or Book/Newsprint.

I like the idea of searching for a song about driving a fast car written in the 80's or songs recorded with XYZ type guitar and mastered in this location. While the former has high social value the latter might be trivial but really deep dive into the art of music.

back out of the clouds, what I am doing, I am buying Vinyl Discs from Amazon with the "Autorip" feature and playing the songs on my Sonos through the Amazon store. I play the Vinyl disc when it's right after work or late in the evening, but I limit my Vinyl purchases to only artists I must have and a large part of the album contains songs that are valuable to me. The other thing I do is rip every CD have to my iMac and shove the CD in a box in the attic, should I need to re-do it all at a later date.

Okay dinner's on. I'm hungry!

RLL1 07-07-2013 06:17 PM

I have back-ups of my back-up files, yet I would never get rid of my cd's. They are the only true back-up. I never have to worry about them getting lost or becoming corrupt.

Antonmb 07-07-2013 06:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I rip them to a server, then put the discs in sleeves and put them with their booklets in drawers like the ones pictured from Precision Hills. This lets me get rid of the plastic jewel box, saves a lot of space, still keeps the booklets easily accessible when I want to refer to one, and saves the disc for backup - and proof of ownership for when Interpol shows up:)

o0OBillO0o 07-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 510175)
I rip them to a server, then put the discs in sleeves and put them with their booklets in drawers like the ones pictured from Precision Hills. This lets me get rid of the plastic jewel box, saves a lot of space, still keeps the booklets easily accessible when I want to refer to one, and saves the disc for backup - and proof of ownership for when Interpol shows up:)

That's great! It may be valuable to keep jewel cases should you trade/sell your discs.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Antonmb 07-07-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 510176)

That's great! It may be valuable to keep jewel cases should you trade/sell your discs.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

I box up the jewel cases and store them in the garage, though frankly I'm beginning to question whether its worth it. I've been doing this for 3-4 years now and have yet to need one.

mtroo 11-30-2016 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 510175)

Tony
How many cd's fit in each box without the jewel cases?

Antonmb 11-30-2016 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 816593)
Tony

How many cd's fit in each box without the jewel cases?

I get about 100 comfortably in a drawer, so 200 per 2-drawer box. However I'm now separating the booklets and keeping them in a drawer by my listening chair and storing only the cds. I take the jewel cases to a recycling center.

mtroo 11-30-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 816596)
I get about 100 comfortably in a drawer, so 200 per 2-drawer box. However I'm now separating the booklets and keeping them in a drawer by my listening chair and storing only the cds. I take the jewel cases to a recycling center.

Thanks. :thumbsup:
Seems like a better value proposition. These boxes look like the may have enough WAF to work.

nicoff 11-30-2016 06:24 PM

What To Do With All Those Cd's ?

Copy all of them to a SD Card to have a backup of all your music and then give the CDs away to your friends.
Then you can carry your entire CD collection in your wallet!

mtroo 11-30-2016 06:26 PM

I have everything on a NAS, backed up x 2 but the hoarder in me has a hard time letting go. I dunno...

nycjazz 11-30-2016 08:45 PM

I have lost count of the number of cds after 6k. I do buy collections and only rip and keep what im interested. The rest goes on craiglist for pennies on the dollar and even at that they sit and sit for a long time... Not much love there. I still have 2-3k to sort through from a couple of large purchases but i find it fun to go through the discovery process. I use gorilla racks and bagsunlimited cd boxes of 100 count to store. I keep my collection in cd bags from the same company.

mtroo 11-30-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycjazz (Post 816774)
I have lost count of the number of cds after 6k. I do buy collections and only rip and keep what im interested. The rest goes on craiglist for pennies on the dollar and even at that they sit and sit for a long time... Not much love there. I still have 2-3k to sort through from a couple of large purchases but i find it fun to go through the discovery process. I use gorilla racks and bagsunlimited cd boxes of 100 count to store. I keep my collection in cd bags from the same company.

Yours may not fit on an SD card.

Antonmb 12-01-2016 12:09 AM

I don't give up my CDs for two reasons - even with multiple backups, occasionally I come across something that didn't rip correctly or a file gets damaged and I don't find it until the damaged file is also on the backup. And not to be a nanny, but in principle the CD is your license to the music and you should keep them if you keep the music.

jameslrock 12-01-2016 12:42 AM

I keep all of my CDs just as I keep all of my albums. If anyone wants to part with their CDs then I am sure I can find a home for them. :)

mtroo 12-01-2016 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 816807)
I don't give up my CDs for two reasons - even with multiple backups, occasionally I come across something that didn't rip correctly or a file gets damaged and I don't find it until the damaged file is also on the backup. And not to be a nanny, but in principle the CD is your license to the music and you should keep them if you keep the music.

Hard to argue with that logic.

bruno2009 12-04-2016 11:34 AM

Streaming Music will NEVER replace playing physical media for me. I`ve actually just bought a McIntosh MCT450 just because I see no way to sell my CD collection and needed a good transport.

Even more so this applies to my vinyl collection.

Totally out of the question to get rid of any music and I really don`t mind displaying my collection - I actually even consider a good music collection a vital and essential part of any living space... ;-)

Antonmb 12-04-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruno2009 (Post 817626)
Streaming Music will NEVER replace playing physical media for me. I`ve actually just bought a McIntosh MCT450 just because I see no way to sell my CD collection and needed a good transport.

Even more so this applies to my vinyl collection.

Totally out of the question to get rid of any music and I really don`t mind displaying my collection - I actually even consider a good music collection a vital and essential part of any living space... ;-)

I agree re vinyl, mine is next to the turntable, but even though I've been collecting cds for more than 30 years, I was never a fan of the plastic jewel cases and am more than happy to have that space back and put them in storage. Nothing will replace my vinyl, but my digital music sounds better than it ever did from cd.

phishphan 12-04-2016 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't imagine getting rid of all of my CDs. Even though they're all backed up, I still want to keep them just in case. My wife found a piece of furniture at an antique store with drawers that are almost exactly CD sized, and I can fit about 25 deep per drawer. It's overflowing, but it's better then keeping them in boxes... like the box next to this picture. I have it in my basement, which is still a mess and hasn't been fully organized since we moved 6 months ago. Moving sucks.