AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Grado GS 1000i (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1027)

thisOne 05-28-2009 09:11 PM

Grado GS 1000i

...or the GS 1000

someone here has got to have an opinion on these cans. I just listened to a set in my local audio store (I listened to the GS 1000, they did not have the "i" version in the shop) and I'd like to read some of your impressions of these cans.

I found them surprisingly light and very comfortable (they look big a clunky). They also sounded pretty good, although I got to the store just before it closed so I felt a bit rushed. I might go back this weekend to plug these into couple of different systems and listen to different genres of music to compare.

I'm thinking of getting a pair, but the initial listening didn't so much knock me off my feet, and I figured that a thousand bucks set of cans should do that.

It may be that I need to give these cans more time and attention, but in the meanwhile how about some feedback from some of you guys???

anyone has a pair? any impressions???

thanks much

gregswaim 05-28-2009 09:45 PM

I auditioned the Grado GS 1000's,RS-2/RS-1(with and without that Grado Headphone Amp) along with a few top end Senn's last year around September. I was not impressed with any of these.
I'd check out Stax if you're wanting headphones, otherwise spend your money on some other component or more music. Just my $0.02.

PHC1 05-28-2009 11:48 PM

Take a look at the graph and see which one you'd prefer. Bass is quite a bit better with the Sennheiser HD800, more linear and balanced where as the Grado will sound a little fuller, the midrange or "presence" region is flat with the AKG, slightly recessed with the Senn HD800 so they sound more laid back and "tipped up" with the Grado. The highs are a little rough and peaky with the Grado, roll off with the AKG sooner and Senns for a smoother top end.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=703

jdandy 05-29-2009 12:35 AM

thisOne.......I'm thinking that once you are commitied to $1K or better for headphones, the Sennheiser HD800 should be on the must audition list.

thisOne 05-29-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 17990)
thisOne.......I'm thinking that once you are commitied to $1K or better for headphones, the Sennheiser HD800 should be on the must audition list.

Thanks, looks like a set of cans I need to audition.

But I have to say that your reply gave me a chuckle, since I should have expected that asking a question re: a 1,000 bucks set of cans would invariably lead me to a more expensive set of cans. Now I have to listen to see if these are 400 bucks better...:D:D:D

jdandy 05-29-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisOne (Post 18016)
Thanks, looks like a set of cans I need to audition.

But I have to say that your reply gave me a chuckle, since I should have expected that asking a question re: a 1,000 bucks set of cans would invariably lead me to a more expensive set of cans. Now I have to listen to see if these are 400 bucks better...:D:D:D

thisOne.......No problem with money. It has always been extremely easy for me to spend someone elses cash. :D Come to think of it, it's been quite easy for me to spend mine, too.

The reviews I have read on the new Sennheiser HD800 are extremely positive, with some going as far as to say the HD800 is the best headphone in the world today. I haven't heard them yet, but I want to audition a pair. They might cause me to have to retire my HD600.

I believe Ivan has the HD800.

thisOne 05-29-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 18017)
thisOne.......

I believe Ivan has the HD800.

Well, then let's hope that Ivan will be able to peel away from his busy schedule of managing this site and rescuing members from other audio forums for long enough to offer his viewpoint on high end cans...

I have to say the HD800s look way cooler than the Grado, so just on looks they're worth more money :D