AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Dyn and Naim (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=12293)

hkval 02-03-2012 11:55 PM

Dyn and Naim

2 Attachment(s)
The only predictable actions of an audiophile is that his actions will be unpredictable and sometimes inexplicable.

My "3" days with the Conrad Johnson CA200 made me realize the potential of my den system. I had the feeling that the CA200 was developed by CJ using their better tube equipment as the ultimate sound goal. I truly think they achieved it which, I would guess, is a major factor why it was discontinued after a short run - Just a Guess - but it is definitely a tube sounding solid state piece and really, really good.

NAD integrated receiver was several times better than its $799 list price.
CA200 seemed like it wanted more of a challenge than Focus 140's.

Long story short: My plan was to sell the CA200 and continue to use the NAD and next Fall to buy the C1's. I received a note from John that if I considered selling the NAD that he had a definite need for it.

I did some research and spoke with a dedicated and extremely well informed Dynaudio person. He recommended that I first get the Naim Nait XS-2 integrated amplifier($2745 list) and later decide if I wanted to move to the Dyn C1. I have had it for 8 days playing 24 hours a day. It is 60W into 8 ohms and 90 into 4 ohms. These are Naim watts which I was told were extremely conservative. No matter how loud or for how long I play it, I cannot find a warm spot on the entire case.

SYNERGY: This is a match made in audio heaven. The highs are not rolled off or bright but they are completely controlled so that all you get is definition and clarity. The mids are large as life and stand alone, as a performer would be on an actual stage. The bottom end from the small cabinet enclosure of the F140's defies all logic. Each instrument or voice seems to have its own personal amplifier to bring out the beauty and depth of the performance. This den setup is sooooo good that it must be heard to be believed.

For once, I do not want anything more than this setup is delivering. The combination of being happy, excited and content is a great feeling in this audio search. Naim is amazing.:thumbsup:

chessman 02-04-2012 12:13 AM

Howard, big congrats! A cool story that proves that synergy is one of the essentials to a system. :)

Pider 02-04-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkval
For once, I do not want anything more than this setup is delivering. The combination of being happy, excited and content is a great feeling in this audio search. Naim is amazing.:thumbsup:

Howard... Great news!

Now, whenever you get restless, unhappy and malcontent with the Naim, just drop me a note! :-)

cmalak 02-04-2012 12:26 PM

Howard...Naim makes great gear. Very very musical.

JFR0317 02-04-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkval (Post 263434)
For once, I do not want anything more than this setup is delivering.

Now where have I heard that before?:D

Seriously, congratulations, HK!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is a sweet setup!

Portugal 02-04-2012 01:01 PM

The simplicity of your system is very appealing.

I am considering the Naim SuperUniti as a one box system. Any opinion on this?

Volks 02-04-2012 01:11 PM

Ive always liked Naim gear.......you have a great system Howard.

hkval 02-04-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugal (Post 263714)
The simplicity of your system is very appealing.

I am considering the Naim SuperUniti as a one box system. Any opinion on this?

The expert I spoke with is very big on the Naim SuperUniti. I think Cyril was spot on when he remarked about the Naim being very musical. I could write 10 pages of review but the final conclusion, in one word, would be MUSICAL.
I have owned far too many pieces of equipment in my audio lifetime. Naim is outside the entire pack. The best thing about it for me is when it is ON, I never think about it. :music:

Puma Cat 02-05-2012 06:03 PM

Howard,
Glad this has worked out so well for you...does this mean you're going to stay with the 140s for now?

Never heard Dyns with Naim, only that the two work great together.

Still, I have to wonder what keeping the CA200 would have been like over the longer term...

Masterlu 02-05-2012 06:06 PM

Howard... Great to hear everything is Gelling for you! :thumbsup: