AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric USB driver updates (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35440)

jdandy 04-11-2016 12:58 PM

Esoteric USB driver updates

Just happened to check this morning to see if there was an updated Windows 10 USB driver available for my K-03. I have been using the original USB driver that came on an installation CD with my player, version 1.0.1. Esoteric has an updated USB driver version 1.1.1.2 available for the K-01, K-03, K-05, K-07, D-02, and D-07X that supports a number of Windows versions including Windows 10. Delete your old USB driver before downloading the newest version.

Download | ESOTERIC COMPANY

2fastdriving 04-11-2016 01:18 PM

So unfortunate that us Mac users are screwed with the K-03. We don't have async capability unless we stay with Mavericks. I had to wipe my Mac and go backwards, not fun.

jdandy 04-11-2016 03:39 PM

Marc.......My experience with the Esoteric K-03's has proven to me that the NOR setting for USB is excellent. Don't overlook that possibility.

2fastdriving 04-11-2016 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 773313)
Marc.......My experience with the Esoteric K-03's has proven to me that the NOR setting for USB is excellent. Don't overlook that possibility.

I believe it, but I always thought the WHOLE REASON for getting a high end DAC and using USB with it is to take advantage of the superior clock in said DAC. Going with my Mac's clock makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little.

Another option is to use the W4S Remedy that i mentioned to you the other day, or a wide variety of other USB to SPDIF products out there. Then I can upgrade my OS and have a good quality clock. I just hate spending even more money when the DAC has the clock I wanted to use in the first place.

Even though the Recovery has a clock in it, it sounds to me like it is a "pass through" of sorts and the Mac will still "see" the Esoteric, not the Recovery, and need to use the same driver.

jdandy 04-11-2016 04:13 PM

Marc.......As I understand the Recovery's purpose, your Mac's clock and dirty power stops at the Recovery. The Recovery's onboard femto clock reclocks the USB signal to the K-03's DAC.

2fastdriving 04-11-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 773322)
Marc.......As I understand the Recovery's purpose, your Mac's clock and dirty power stops at the Recovery. The Recovery's onboard femto clock reclocks the USB signal to the K-03's DAC.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing to me. I wonder if I NEED to use a synchronous driver with my Mac and the Recovery? I'm not sure...there are 3 clocks here. Mac, Recovery, K03. Depending on the driver I use, the Mac one is either the master or not used at all.

Not sure how the Recovery fits into this chain.

I thought I understood all this, now I know nothing :tears:

Masterlu 04-11-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 773326)
Yeah, it's a bit confusing to me. I wonder if I NEED to use a synchronous driver with my Mac and the Recovery? I'm not sure...there are 3 clocks here. Mac, Recovery, K03. Depending on the driver I use, the Mac one is either the master or not used at all.

Not sure how the Recovery fits into this chain.

I thought I understood all this, now I know nothing :tears:

Marc... There are 2 options:

A) send your K-03 in for the USB update (the price may have gone down now, I’ll check if you wish) :o

or

B) Contact me for new firmware for your K-03’s USB. It will show up as TEAC, not Esoteric, but you could then update your OSX.
That said, if its a dedicated music server, I can’t think of a single benefit of updating to El Capitain.

aardvarkbark 04-11-2016 05:46 PM

in other news....I love how quietly and smoothly the tray opens a closes...

djwhog 04-16-2016 12:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some docs detailing the driver installation update processes Dan opened up with, and settings to make to the spdif driver / mixer after you do the upgrade. You will loose your settings on the mixer spdif after the new driver loads.

It is funny, I missed this Thread Dan started, but had been on that same thought process as Dan. :smoking:

I was thinking after purchasing the RUR etc I should revisit the drivers etc. to eek out every drop of improvement. So I did a lot of testing and am very happy I did and made the changes to the newer driver. In the docs I detailed my review and findings after the installation of the newer drivers.

NOTE: The update does not require a restart after the new driver installation in Windows 7 or 10, but just the same I would since some of the drivers that it installs into C:\Program Files\TEAC\ESOTERIC folder are also linked to drivers in the OS at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers... etc....

PS Thank you Dan! :thumbsup:

2fastdriving 04-16-2016 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 773336)
Marc... There are 2 options: A) send your K-03 in for the USB update (the price may have gone down now, I’ll check if you wish) :o or B) Contact me for new firmware for your K-03’s USB. It will show up as TEAC, not Esoteric, but you could then update your OSX. That said, if its a dedicated music server, I can’t think of a single benefit of updating to El Capitain.

Ivan, I just saw your reply. Thank you. I agree there is no pressing need to upgrade the OS. It nags me whenever I log into it, but since it's a dedicated music server that I operate headless with audirvana, it's not a big problem. I just hate being so out of date. That said, things are sounding great and I wouldn't want to do the teac firmware update. I also don't want to pay for the USB upgrade...id rather spend that money on a k-03x or k-01x ;) someday!

I'll live with it and stop complaining.