AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Marten Loudspeakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Marten Django (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11493)

rgbyhkr 04-22-2012 07:54 AM

Here's a question I haven't seen mentioned about these - where do they fall into the Marten line? They don't seem to fit in with the Coltrane, Heritage or Form. Are they the start of a new line perhaps?

Face 04-22-2012 08:30 AM

Thanks for bumping this.

I've now heard these twice, each time with different gear. In a word, fantastic! Resolving, but not clinical, nice imaging and a great soundstage...even off axis they still sound very nice. The low end digs deep and tight. A huge plus, bass response is adjustable, so you can tailor it to your room/preference.

I wouldn't be afraid to put these up against anything costing twice as much.

rgbyhkr 04-22-2012 08:44 AM

It's interesting because from what I've seen of the PR and Bob Levi's early write-up in Positive Feedback (django), Marten is upping the value proposition here. Bob owns the top end model of the Heritage line, the Bird, so his opinion is a knowledgeable one. He doesn't say how they compare to the Miles III or the Getz, but his write-up seems to suggest that they are almost as good as the Bird, which has a diamond tweeter vs. ceramic. If that's the case, I wonder where the Getz and Miles III models fit now?

TS0711 04-22-2012 11:54 PM

I own the Dukes, listen to Miles III regularly, and hear the Birds from time to time... I can only imagine just how good these will sound. Wish I could own them myself. All powered with VTLs.

CKKeung 05-02-2012 05:51 AM

Press release of Marten Design:
http://marten.se/pressreleases/marte...ten_newsletter

The Django is given a new name: Django XL.
Probably in future there will be a new series with some smaller models.

Four other models are upgraded with new drivers.

rgbyhkr 05-02-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKKeung (Post 305170)
Press release of Marten Design:
http://marten.se/pressreleases/marte...ten_newsletter

The Django is given a new name: Django XL.
Probably in future there will be a new series with some smaller models.

Four other models are upgraded with new drivers.

Well, now that makes sense and brings everything into focus. The Heritage line stays, but gets upgraded drivers and the Django looks like it will be the the top dog in a line to be fleshed out later. That makes the comparative pricing understandable and I would expect the other models in the Django line to have a similar design aesthetic as the XL. Personally, I still think that the look of the 2 lines is so close that, side by side, the higher cost Heritage models don't stand out. My gut feeling is that if the XL's sound really is that good, especially when compared to the Getz 2 and Bird 2, I could see it cannibalizing sales of the latter 2. That's good for consumers as it would allow them to get better sound at a lower entry point but not necessarily good for Marten - unless the DJango line takes off and really sells in volume way beyond what they've done before with the Heritage.

howiebrou 05-04-2012 06:03 AM

All the Django were sold out here and not even unboxed :tears:

cmalak 05-04-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr (Post 305176)
Well, now that makes sense and brings everything into focus. The Heritage line stays, but gets upgraded drivers and the Django looks like it will be the the top dog in a line to be fleshed out later. That makes the comparative pricing understandable and I would expect the other models in the Django line to have a similar design aesthetic as the XL. Personally, I still think that the look of the 2 lines is so close that, side by side, the higher cost Heritage models don't stand out. My gut feeling is that if the XL's sound really is that good, especially when compared to the Getz 2 and Bird 2, I could see it cannibalizing sales of the latter 2. That's good for consumers as it would allow them to get better sound at a lower entry point but not necessarily good for Marten - unless the DJango line takes off and really sells in volume way beyond what they've done before with the Heritage.

Your "unless" point is likely what's happeniing. Looks like intro of Django has been most successful in history of Marten according to the company, and while the revenue and profit per speaker in the Heritage line (Miles/Bird/Getz) is higher than in Django, if they can make it up in volume (which it sounds like they are doing), they will do that trade every day. Plus the more accessible the product in terms of price point, the more likely they will attract new customers, and not necessarily cannibalize from their higher priced models.

rgbyhkr 05-04-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 305902)
Your "unless" point is likely what's happeniing. Looks like intro of Django has been most successful in history of Marten according to the company, and while the revenue and profit per speaker in the Heritage line (Miles/Bird/Getz) is higher than in Django, if they can make it up in volume (which it sounds like they are doing), they will do that trade every day. Plus the more accessible the product in terms of price point, the more likely they will attract new customers, and not necessarily cannibalize from their higher priced models.

All good points and I would agree. I wonder if the revamped Heritage will have some associated price changes. Nothing crazy, but I could see the line shift upwards just a bit.

JohnThomas 06-12-2012 11:15 AM

I'm looking into these speakers right now. I noticed that these are down firing port speakers. Since never owning a downfiring speaker would I need to be concerened with my speakers sitting on Hardwood floors?

Face since you listen to these twice can you compared them to any other speaker you heard?