AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Burmester Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Burmester Reference System (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=5426)

JSCC 08-31-2010 07:35 PM

Burmester Reference System

6 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I was given a chance to audition another top German brand - Burmester and the top setup too - their REFERENCE system comprising of the 069 CD player (and pre if one chooses to uses it akin to like the McIntosh MCD500), the 077 Preamp, all powered by the 948 Power conditioner and a single 909 Power amp, all playing thru the B100 Reference speakers. To top it off, this dealer also partner the Continuum Criterion Turntable.

1. The build quality is right up there with the best. All chrome and very 'steel' looking with "green lighted" display.

2. The Power amp is humongous. Never seen anything like that at all and will definitely NEVER fit into a any hifi rack. It had to standalone and my, how majestic is looks! Dont know the power specs, but surely, powering the B100 speakers was never an issue.

3. The speakers are build to a very high standard of fit and function. Again, the looks are every different from what we are used to. The "high frequency unit" looks like a pleated AMT design ... but as I have limited time, I would ask for more details in my next visit.

4. To top it all up, the Continuum Criterion TT was also hooked up to it. This is the first time I am seeing a Continuum turntable and it does loom different, especially the arm. Again due to time constraint, I do not have the chance to audition it. Next visit, sometime this week perhaps.

5. First impression: The Pricing (S$300k - sans the Continuum TT) for the entire system is almost close (+/-) to a full MBL Reference system. Jim/Howie, this would give us, if we have pocket deep enough to go for this level of performance, an alternative, in looks, at least for now!

Well, the sound - I have heard many times "Isnt She Lovely" by Levinston Taylor BUT nothing like this before. The vocals are so lifelike, imaging so correct (and by that I mean the size of the singer, not bloated or expanded). It just like he IS singing right in front of me! There was a sense of spatial air about the music, the acoustic guitar so lifelike, so extended. And when the deep notes comes in, it just go low, lower ..... without any form of distortion!

It is but one song, and the entire system etched upon me that I MUST go back to have a second, no make it many more times to audition this system. It is indeed, to me, a really viable alternative choice between a full MBL Reference when I have the monies to upgrade! However, a second or more audition will be needed before I can confirm its performance is really on par/matching to that of the MBL's.

Nonetheless, an unforgettable experience ... Of course, the MBL XTreme still top the list of speakers/system I have ever listened to BUT then, this is one strata that is beyond my mortal reach. This lower MBL system (101e MkII) and now this Burmester ... is achievable.

I have attached some pictures of the entire system to share. Well, in my next visit, I make sure I take some pictures of the REAL system to share!

Thanks.

Tonepub 08-31-2010 07:53 PM

I'm certainly a fan of Burmester, and you don't even have to spend that much. I've got the 011 preamplifier and a 911mk. 3 amplifier and couldn't be happier!

TommyC 08-31-2010 08:00 PM

The 808 Mk5 preamp is the flagship pre in Burmester. Hopefully you can audition this one in the future!

Still-One 08-31-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSCC (Post 104203)
Yesterday I was given a chance to audition another top German brand - Burmester and the top setup too - their REFERENCE system comprising of the 069 CD player (and pre if one chooses to uses it akin to like the McIntosh MCD500), the 077 Preamp, all powered by the 948 Power conditioner and a single 909 Power amp, all playing thru the B100 Reference speakers. To top it off, this dealer also partner the Continuum Criterion Turntable.

1. The build quality is right up there with the best. All chrome and very 'steel' looking with "green lighted" display.

2. The Power amp is humongous. Never seen anything like that at all and will definitely NEVER fit into a any hifi rack. It had to standalone and my, how majestic is looks! Dont know the power specs, but surely, powering the B100 speakers was never an issue.

3. The speakers are build to a very high standard of fit and function. Again, the looks are every different from what we are used to. The "high frequency unit" looks like a pleated AMT design ... but as I have limited time, I would ask for more details in my next visit.

4. To top it all up, the Continuum Criterion TT was also hooked up to it. This is the first time I am seeing a Continuum turntable and it does loom different, especially the arm. Again due to time constraint, I do not have the chance to audition it. Next visit, sometime this week perhaps.

5. First impression: The Pricing (S$300k - sans the Continuum TT) for the entire system is almost close (+/-) to a full MBL Reference system. Jim/Howie, this would give us, if we have pocket deep enough to go for this level of performance, an alternative, in looks, at least for now!

Well, the sound - I have heard many times "Isnt She Lovely" by Levinston Taylor BUT nothing like this before. The vocals are so lifelike, imaging so correct (and by that I mean the size of the singer, not bloated or expanded). It just like he IS singing right in front of me! There was a sense of spatial air about the music, the acoustic guitar so lifelike, so extended. And when the deep notes comes in, it just go low, lower ..... without any form of distortion!

It is but one song, and the entire system etched upon me that I MUST go back to have a second, no make it many more times to audition this system. It is indeed, to me, a really viable alternative choice between a full MBL Reference when I have the monies to upgrade! However, a second or more audition will be needed before I can confirm its performance is really on par/matching to that of the MBL's.

Nonetheless, an unforgettable experience ... Of course, the MBL XTreme still top the list of speakers/system I have ever listened to BUT then, this is one strata that is beyond my mortal reach. This lower MBL system (101e MkII) and now this Burmester ... is achievable.

I have attached some pictures of the entire system to share. Well, in my next visit, I make sure I take some pictures of the REAL system to share!

Thanks.

Jerry
The Burmester setup at the '08 RMAF was very nice and I hope I can hear one again in October. I thought the sound was very detailed and fast, very listenable. Not sure I like the chrome look but I am sure I could get used to it.

I listened to the Caliburn (one up from the Criterion) for a couple of hours in Singapore a couple of years ago. Was not impressed and that was before all of the recent price increases. The Zanden transport and DAC were better provided better sound at relatively reasonable prices.
Jim

JSCC 08-31-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 104212)
The 808 Mk5 preamp is the flagship pre in Burmester. Hopefully you can audition this one in the future!

Hi "TommyC',

The 077 is the flagship now. Special version! The 808 MK5 was "put aside" as the dealer want to impress me on the 077!

Cheers!

JSCC 08-31-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 104219)
The Zanden transport and DAC were better provided better sound at relatively reasonable prices.
Jim

Jim,

This combo costs S$60k net!

I know someone who owned it and .... never ever upgraded. Well, he's into SET tubes, Kondo very high end stuff.

All in all, close to S$500k, racks and all.

Cheers!

JSCC 08-31-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonepub (Post 104210)
I'm certainly a fan of Burmester, and you don't even have to spend that much. I've got the 011 preamplifier and a 911mk. 3 amplifier and couldn't be happier!

Jeff, I sometimes wonder how many gears you have .... :thumbsup:

howiebrou 08-31-2010 09:36 PM

Jerry,

Get the Burmester system, Jim can get the MBL reference system and we can all do a three way swap every two years!!!:banana:

jdandy 08-31-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSCC (Post 104224)
Jim,

This combo costs S$60k net!

I know someone who owned it and .... never ever upgraded. Well, he's into SET tubes, Kondo very high end stuff.

All in all, close to S$500k, racks and all.

Cheers!

Jerry.......If you keep going you will soon look like this. :D

http://ussharedparenting.com/blog/wp...ty-pockets.jpg

Vintage Pete 08-31-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 104256)
Jerry.......If you keep going you will soon look like this. :D

http://ussharedparenting.com/blog/wp...ty-pockets.jpg

:lmao: :lmao:

Pete