AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   GIK Acoustics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Drop Ceiling (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34077)

kfr01 12-19-2015 12:24 PM

Drop Ceiling

My new HT room will have a drop ceiling (there are just too many pipes and valves to re-route if I were to close it up).

Ascetics aside, is this a blessing or a curse acoustically? I will be using 2x2 acoustic panels. Is a GIK 'cloud' still a nice idea for the first reflection point?

Glenn, have you seen this done with your panels? Mounting ideas?

Thanks,

Karl

Masterlu 12-19-2015 12:29 PM

Karl... what is your finished ceiling height?

kfr01 12-19-2015 12:48 PM

8.5'

Low, but there's only so much one can do in old house basements. :)

chessman 12-19-2015 04:18 PM

Karl, it is a blessing. You can add absorptive acoustic tiles in pre-made 2' by 2' size that drop right in. You can knock out first reflection point and just enough absorption to the room. I went "finished" and have regretted it ever since.

Masterlu 12-19-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 747933)
Karl, it is a blessing. You can add absorptive acoustic tiles in pre-made 2' by 2' size that drop right in. You can knock out first reflection point and just enough absorption to the room. I went "finished" and have regretted it ever since.

I went finished with no regrets. :dunno:

W9TR 12-20-2015 07:52 AM

I had dropped ceiling in the first theater I built in our Kansas City house.

Dropped ceiling PRO's:
The extra absorption meant I didn't need as much side wall treatment and no additional ceiling treatment.
The low frequency bass peaks were not as audible and overall the room was flatter.
Very easy to run wires!

Dropped ceiling CON's:
At certain frequencies the ceiling would "light up" and vibrate like hell. I added weight to the backs of the panels and tried different panel materials and configurations. I was able to reduce the effect but not eliminate it completely. This was with a standard residential grid suspension system.

Tom

Glenn Kuras 12-29-2015 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfr01 (Post 747893)
My new HT room will have a drop ceiling (there are just too many pipes and valves to re-route if I were to close it up).

Ascetics aside, is this a blessing or a curse acoustically? I will be using 2x2 acoustic panels. Is a GIK 'cloud' still a nice idea for the first reflection point?

Glenn, have you seen this done with your panels? Mounting ideas?

Thanks,

Karl

Sorry about the delay on writing back... We do A LOT of rooms with drop in ceiling tiles. Our panels are standard size 2'x2', but we can make them 23.75"x23.75" as that is most standard size tiles. These can be either the Spot panels or the 242 panels.