AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Is the Aurieges too good for its own good? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19796)

guitardave 03-10-2013 09:45 AM

Is the Aurieges too good for its own good?

I am on my second Aurieges. This one with phono, one box unit. I am simply stunned by how great this thing is. My last one was the "L" model. Not saying either one is "better", but I am really impressed with this unit. I did own a Masseto for a while also. I am just wondering if anyone has started with an Aurieges, "upgraded", and then went back to the Aurieges? It is such a well balanced piece at an affordable price... Not saying there are no benefits to moving up, but the value for money on this Aurieges is off the chart!
All this said, I will probably move to a Masseto again at some point. Audiophile nervosa... Argh

TheMagus 03-10-2013 05:17 PM

Agreed. It may be the bottom of the line but it's tops when it comes to musical value.
Of the higher end stuff, I'd say quite probably the VR.

AudioKiwi 03-10-2013 06:04 PM

The Aurieges sits right on the perfect "money spent vs happiness" intersection. As you go up the Shindo pre-amps the sound quality rises but not as steeply as the price does - depending on your income your move up the Shindo line can actually result in "negative happiness growth" which can be very unpleasant.

I have the Aurieges and Masseto and in some ways I like the Aurieges better. The Aurieges does not focus on any part of the music but rather presents it as a whole and as such is very easy and relaxing to listen to. The Masseto is a bit more revealing and darker, but it can lead you to focus on individual sounds within the music and encourages "critical listening" (critical listening will ultimately kill any enjoyment you get from music - it is ok some of the time but not all of the time).

The Masseto is a hot date with a beautiful woman, the Aureiges is a few beers with your best mate. The Masseto is the better pre-amp but in a funny way sometimes not as enjoyable.

Beavis 03-10-2013 06:15 PM

I had the Aurieges line stage and moved up to the Monbrison due to its MM and MC capabilities.

The Monbrison is a world class preamp and I do love it so...but, there are times when I recall many blissful hours with the little Aurieges. If I had the disposable income I think I'd buy a used Aureiges just in case something were to go wrong with the Monbrison. To be without the Shindo sound even for a short time is not an attractive possibility.

Anyone in the market for a preamp near the price of the Aurieges would be crazy to ignore that gem. The Aurieges got me hooked on the Shindo sound and now there is no turning back....

Masterlu 03-10-2013 06:26 PM

TheMagus... Welcome! :wave:

TheMagus 03-10-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 457825)
TheMagus... Welcome! :wave:

Thanks so much, Masterlu.

TheMagus 03-10-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioKiwi (Post 457811)
The Aurieges sits right on the perfect "money spent vs happiness" intersection. As you go up the Shindo pre-amps the sound quality rises but not as steeply as the price does - depending on your income your move up the Shindo line can actually result in "negative happiness growth" which can be very unpleasant.

I have the Aurieges and Masseto and in some ways I like the Aurieges better. The Aurieges does not focus on any part of the music but rather presents it as a whole and as such is very easy and relaxing to listen to. The Masseto is a bit more revealing and darker, but it can lead you to focus on individual sounds within the music and encourages "critical listening" (critical listening will ultimately kill any enjoyment you get from music - it is ok some of the time but not all of the time).

The Masseto is a hot date with a beautiful woman, the Aureiges is a few beers with your best mate. The Masseto is the better pre-amp but in a funny way sometimes not as enjoyable.

Beautifully put.
You can spend more money, but that doesn't always guarantee greater musical satisfaction.

Alberto 03-10-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beavis (Post 457819)
I had the Aurieges line stage and moved up to the Monbrison due to its MM and MC capabilities.

The Monbrison is a world class preamp and I do love it so...but, there are times when I recall many blissful hours with the little Aurieges. If I had the disposable income I think I'd buy a used Aureiges just in case something were to go wrong with the Monbrison. To be without the Shindo sound even for a short time is not an attractive possibility.

Anyone in the market for a preamp near the price of the Aurieges would be crazy to ignore that gem. The Aurieges got me hooked on the Shindo sound and now there is no turning back....

I also went from Auriges-L to Monbrison because I wanted the phono stage. But it was not because I could find any faults with the Auriges. Having said that, I am also extremely happy with the Monbrison and I don't see myself going back. Although, like you, I do wish I had kept my little Auriges just in case.

Alberto

NeilNZ 03-11-2013 12:44 AM

I have the Aurieges MM and a Masseto. Both are fantastic, you could say the Masseto is better, but really it is just different. I could happily live with either, although I do enjoy the phono stage in the Masseto more.

TommyC 03-11-2013 12:50 AM

The Aurieges is amazing, especially considering the price.