AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tape Machines (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   The Official - What Are You Recording Thread (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45275)

FreddieFerric 03-04-2019 07:59 PM

The Official - What Are You Recording Thread

While I realize that Tape Aficionado's are a relatively small subset of Audio Aficionado's, I figured I start this thread to share your recording exploits on.

Although I've done many home tapes, right now I'm in the finishing stages of recording 4 (as new) vintage Japan Audio Lab LP's of the light jazz variety.

Side One features a title called "Incarnation" which is a production of Okihiko Sugano. The second LP on Side One features a title called :Music, The World of Kunhiko Sugano.

Side Two features two LP's called "Side By Side" and Side By Side 2. These are alleged to be somewhat rare.

For mid 1970's productions, all four of these LP's display dead quiet backgrounds and impressive amounts of dynamic range. It helps that the musical performances are also top notch.

Tape Deck: Teac X-1000R
Tape: RMGI LPR35 (New Stock)
EQ: NAB
Bias: LHII
Speed 7.5 IPS
DBX: Enabled

With the auto-reversing switch turned on, this set will provide roughly 3 hours of laid back enjoyment for those late night cozy listening sessions.

:thumbsup:

So. What are you recording.....:scratch2:

Mack 03-09-2019 05:51 PM

Hopefully in a few months I will join the R2R club. :thumbsup:

miner 03-13-2019 09:14 AM

With my J-Corder Pioneer RT-707 (black), my first recordings were the Analogue Reproductions 45rpm box set of Stevie Ray Vaughan's studio recordings. They turned out superb and very clean. This was don at 7.5 ips on RGMI tape.

With my newly rebuilt Nak ZX-7 I have yet to record anything. I bought this deck and had it rebuilt by ESL labs to mainly playback my deceased B-I-L's cassettes he had recorded over the years. They number in the 300's. His MO was everytime he bought a new LP he would record to tape and play the tape instead of the LP to keep wear to a minimum on the vinyl.

FreddieFerric 03-20-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack (Post 956708)
Hopefully in a few months I will join the R2R club. :thumbsup:

Jump in with both feet! :yes:

FreddieFerric 07-28-2019 11:00 AM

I finally put 4 Sinatra LP's from the 16 LP MOFI Box Set that I acquired here on to a fresh reel of ATR Magnetics MDS 36. Of course I gave them a good cleaning on the HP 16.5 first. Gave the tape a good listen late last night. It came out really good. Of course the Soundsmith cartridge had something to do with it as well. :thumbsup:

FreddieFerric 08-18-2019 10:11 AM

Went Jazz yesterday. Kind of Blue and Miles Smiles, both MOFI 45 rpm versions. Then Wayne Shorter, ETC and Dexter Gordon, Clubhouse, both from the Blue Note Tone Poet releases. Used my last remaining MDS 36 reel, so I have to do a new order.

The tape sounds most excellent in every respect. I can't get over how well the DBX system works in this TEAC. :thumbsup:

Chaddycakes 10-11-2019 04:58 PM

Hey Everyone! I’m new to the community and was very excited to find a forum that specifically discusses my major interests. I am an audio preservationist that works for a medium-sized business near Pittsburgh, PA.

I am currently spending the majority of my time with DAT machines, but manipulating cassettes, R2Rs, micro cassettes, vinyl, and other more obscure formats is part-and-parcel of what we do.

I spend my free time playing finger-style guitar. I reserve a small percentage of that free time raise
two teenage boys (oh wait, that is not free time and doesn’t leave much...)

I can’t wait to get to know everyone. Any advice on the rules and culture of this forum is welcomed. Thanks!

- Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes 10-11-2019 05:24 PM

Oops, forgot to actually say what I’m recording. Everyday, I touch over 100 DATs from a major broadcasting company and run them through Sony PCM-7040s and PCM-R500s. I hear a lot of 1k test tones, no I mean a lot...

We get a lot of “interesting” programs. For example, yesterday I transferred a sexual education lecture that included the use of a very inappropriate slide whistle. Oh, I remember recently hearing a children’s choir singing a refrain of “Die! Pussy, Die!” Sometimes you find gems that get stuck in the Hold Folder.

I’d get in trouble if I published these recordings, but nonetheless, no one told me to not talk about them. My favorite jobs are from Native Canadian societies that let their tapes freeze. Oh, they want them brought up to pitch. Can you identify the Inuit language in reverse? I can...

Masterlu 10-11-2019 07:20 PM

Chaddycakes... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Mark J 09-09-2020 02:18 PM

I recently laid on tape the MFSL Kind of Blue 45 rpm vinyl. Sounds excellent and it all fits on one side of an archive quality (1.5mil) tape.