AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   New Maggie LRS (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45636)

timm 04-16-2019 02:52 PM

New Maggie LRS

So - fyi - Magnepan has come out with a new LRS model for 650 which is essentially an improved MMG replacement. I had an opportunity to hear them at Axpona and walked away very impressed.... Everyone I saw walk out of the room basically said 'wow'..... and they are getting back logged with orders.

Basically - what I heard was great imaging and typical Maggie soundstage and depth. What was most impressive was the bass. I just couldn't believe all of that was coming out of the panel. And - yes - it isn't 20hz bass... but it is clean and articulate with depth... A tympani resonates as does a bass guitar.

These could easily fit the bill for any room that did not lean on the very large side. I have my 20.7 in another system.... if my Martin Logan Odysseys ever go south on me - I would consider them for my living room space without hesitation.

NZ421291 04-16-2019 07:15 PM

I want a pair!

josh358 04-17-2019 04:54 PM

Second what Timm said -- they're jaw droppingly good. Some of the best sound at the show, and only $650? Mind blowing.

Beet Farmer 04-18-2019 03:01 PM

From reading other forums, the demand is very high. Magnepan is working hard, full time fulfilling orders for the new speaker design.
So it is a big hit, for BUYERS too.

Kingrex 04-24-2019 12:20 PM

I went to my dealer to hear them. They have no plans to carry them or the .7. Only the 3.7. I guess they would have to sell about 10,000 or more the equal 1 sale of a Dagostino Ref amp. If it was my business, I would do the same.

Mikado463 04-24-2019 03:09 PM

interesting listen Timm, Maggies continue to impress !

audioguy3107 04-24-2019 05:55 PM

https://www.magnepan.com/www/images/speakers/LRS-3.jpg

Good photo that shows the size

Higgens 04-24-2019 06:57 PM

Speakers like these are a great way to get younger people involved in audio. Good sound and inexpensive.

miatadan 06-11-2019 10:13 PM

With this new model Magnepan states:

" The LRS (Little Ribbon Speaker) is a full-range quasi-ribbon speaker that was designed from the ground up to give you a pretty good idea what to expect from the 20.7 or 30.7. The LRS was designed using high-end electronics and mono blocks. The LRS will perform nicely with a receiver, but it was intentionally designed to extract the most from high-end amplifiers and electronics. The LRS expects more from a properly designed high-current amplifier. That is a radical departure from most entry-level loudspeakers. If you put your expensive high-end amplifier on the LRS, you will hear the difference. "

When I had the MG1.7i they took too much room as my room is only 9 ft wide which resulted in only 3 foot distance between inside edges of MG1.7i.

Ordered a pair of LRS this morning , hoping they will work better with my room.

Freq. Resp. LRS 50 - 20 kHz MG1.7i 40-24 kHz

Will advise how they sound when they come in.

Dan

NZ421291 06-12-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatadan (Post 968318)
With this new model Magnepan states:

" The LRS (Little Ribbon Speaker) is a full-range quasi-ribbon speaker that was designed from the ground up to give you a pretty good idea what to expect from the 20.7 or 30.7. The LRS was designed using high-end electronics and mono blocks. The LRS will perform nicely with a receiver, but it was intentionally designed to extract the most from high-end amplifiers and electronics. The LRS expects more from a properly designed high-current amplifier. That is a radical departure from most entry-level loudspeakers. If you put your expensive high-end amplifier on the LRS, you will hear the difference. "

When I had the MG1.7i they took too much room as my room is only 9 ft wide which resulted in only 3 foot distance between inside edges of MG1.7i.

Ordered a pair of LRS this morning , hoping they will work better with my room.

Freq. Resp. LRS 50 - 20 kHz MG1.7i 40-24 kHz

Will advise how they sound when they come in.

Dan

Cannot wait to see your follow-up on how they sound in your room!