AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Magico M9 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48223)

JemHadar 06-13-2020 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 1007020)
Once all speaker cables connected, at that height of binding posts, the aesthetic from side and back view will be hurt somewhat. Imagine 4 of TARA Grand Master.

The binding posts are indeed high...not very practical and an odd design decision.

Charles 06-13-2020 05:05 AM

The first American loudspeaker designed like the European super speakers. Built in subwoofer with active external crossover requiring 4 monaural amps! Absolutely incredible! I can see why Toga wants one! No subwoofer needed. M9 already has one!

Wilson WAMM with dual Master Chronosonics and needed amps still outweighs M9 considerably so it's light by comparison. I hope somebody buys it. The lockdown should help. Folks get the high end fever during it become delirious and there you go. The next thing you know an M9 and 4 monaural amps are present in your living room. This fever and syndrome is an unreported complication of covid 19.

TLi 06-13-2020 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 1007020)
Once all speaker cables connected, at that height of binding posts, the aesthetic from side and back view will be hurt somewhat. Imagine 4 of TARA Grand Master.

I was told M9 consists of two parts that stack on top of each other. It makes sense since it is almost impossible to move a 1000 lbs and 80 inches tall object.

700 lbs Q7 has caused some unpleasant incidents during transportation.

My guess is M9 is split below the binding posts. The upper portion is like a complete speaker turned up side down, the lower part is just the subwoofer. That’s why the binding posts are so high.

TOGA 06-13-2020 11:24 AM

As I have lived with many Magico. I understand their intention very well. The low distortion, low coloration.
And I know they will keep push it further. The honeycomb
Drivers must be incredible. The reason for external active
Cross is well explained and understandable. But it hurt
to learn that from preamp it needs 3 pairs of expensive
XLR cables. And 4 channels of amp plus two sets of
Speaker cables and some power cables.
I remember they put binding posts high so that
Internal wiring with have equally short length for each
Drivers to the best possible.
Too bad they are not priced for standard rich audiophile. I feel like owning a 911 Turbo but dreaming
to have Chiron in a garage.
I can’t even upgrade Q7.1 to Q7.2 status haha.
But hey I am sure those honeycomb drivers will appeared
In M7 or M8 one day, which will still be unaffordable to most as usual.

Toga

Charles 06-13-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 1007047)
As I have lived with many Magico. I understand their intention very well. The low distortion, low coloration.
Too bad they are not priced for standard rich audiophile. I feel like owning a 911 Turbo but dreaming

Toga

M9 is a direct WAMM competitor. I don't think the Q-subs would work too well because at what frequency would you roll off those actively powered massive 15" subwoofers? I don't think it feasible to assemble this speaker after it left the factory.

None of this is a particular problem. M9 is as much a competitor to a speaker like the Tidal la assoluta or the Burmester BC350 as to the WAMM. Both are not compatible with subs.

Look at the M9 base. This is a beautiful speaker. It's a little idiosyncratic with the binding posts but the weight is not unreasonable nor is the price for what you get: the complete package in a relatively small footprint (no external subs).

Looks like he's leaving room for an M8 at some point.

JoeN 06-13-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1007049)
M9 is a direct WAMM competitor. I don't think the Q-subs would work too well because at what frequency would you roll off those actively powered massive 15" subwoofers? I don't think it feasible to assemble this speaker after it left the factory.

None of this is a particular problem. M9 is as much a competitor to a speaker like the Tidal la assoluta or the Burmester BC350 as to the WAMM. Both are not compatible with subs.

Look at the M9 base. This is a beautiful speaker. It's a little idiosyncratic with the binding posts but the weight is not unreasonable nor is the price for what you get: the complete package in a relatively small footprint (no external subs).

Looks like he's leaving room for an M8 at some point.

I agree Charles. One probably wouldn’t even need Q Sub. And the mid range looks like a killer here. After reading the write up the whole speaker looks amazing.

Though no one has heard it yet, I’m sure it sounds very good. And I agree that Magico desires to go after the WAMM. Wilson makes some terrific speakers, so I’m not sure how far they got in that dream. I’m sure someone will listen to it and compare the two and one will excel in one area and the other elsewhere ...

I’m interested the in trickle down technology.. Will there be Q7 MK 2, M3 MK 2, or a M8 or M7 like you said. These speakers while still expensive would be a little more reasonable.

BTW, I’ve been listening to a Alexia Series 2 system (a friend’s and we’re going back soon) and studying the Alexx as well. Hopefully I’ll get to listen to the Alexx after COVID .... Still no telling what direction I will go with my upgrade - M3 or Wilson? I like them all.

Stay safe.

Masterlu 06-13-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1007026)
Folks get the high end fever during it become delirious and there you go. The next thing you know an M9 and 4 monaural amps are present in your living room. This fever and syndrome is an unreported complication of covid 19.

This is a fact; so far 2020 has been my busiest year by far. Turntables for some reason are red hot; sales of TT’s are up 800% at least for me. :o

Charles 06-14-2020 12:40 PM

I have been trying to get my head around the M9 crossover frequencies. The 15" woofers crossover to the 11" woofers at 120 Hz 24dB/octave. Seems way too high. These 11" woofers crossover to a relatively small 6" mid at 24 dB/octave. No crossover frequency given but we have to assume absolutely no higher than 256 Hz at 24dB/octave since these are not midrange drivers. This seems like a very narrow range (120-256 Hz) for (2) very powerful 11" drivers.

If I'd been guessing I'd have said 15" drivers 18-60 Hz; 11" drivers 60-256 Hz. This nicely covers the bass range which is considered 16-256 Hz. 6" would cover 256-2000 Hz. Tweeter 2000 Hz and up.

Also, compared to the bass there seems to be a paucity of mid surface area with only one 6" driver.

By contrast my XVX has (2) 7" lower mids and and a 4" upper mid. The Mark 5 tweeter has excellent extension/overlap into the lower midrange as this is a requirement of all Wilson tweeters and is one of the reasons for the soft dome.

This is not meant as a criticism because I am sure there is an explanation. There must be something special about these 15" woofers and the active crossover. Perhaps Toga or someone familiar with Magico could explain/speculate.

marsalis 06-14-2020 02:01 PM

An 11” driver start to beam fairly high (~1kHz), it can be easily crossed at 600hz (24 dB/octave) .
This was already done very successfully in the Q7 (I don’t know what are the XO points of the M9, but I would assume they are similar).

GSOphile 06-14-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 1007047)

Toga

The aluminum honeycomb driver technology made its debut in the A5.