AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Conrad-Johnson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11012)

Puma Cat 11-23-2011 11:08 AM

Should be good on the Maggie's; I think the issue with MLs is that their impedance goes way low at some point....

dpod4 11-23-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat
Should be good on the Maggie's; I think the issue with MLs is that their impedance goes way low at some point....

Maggie 3.7s are stable at 4 ohm so PR 350 should effortlessly handle them.

Another shout out to ToneAudio and AA which really incented me to join the CJ family. Same music-first, holistic, equipment with loyal fan base as I read in Shindo forums.

Coppy 11-23-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 230427)
We need Coppy to chime in...he's got a Pr350 IIRC....

I'm here... just tuned in to this thread. You folks know how I feel about this AMP, it's an incredible bargain for this level of performance... can't let it go. Some say it's a bit delicate but I've not had any issues although I'm careful not to connect/disconnect anything while it's on or has been on. Those big caps inside retain a good deal of their power long after it's shut down. As has been said, be careful not to short the outputs... ever. I think some folks at dealers who are constantly pulling equipment in and out for demo have had difficulty when they were too casual about connections.

Now that's said, enjoy the dynamics... the P350 will drive just about anything. And it's response is dead flat. It's still a reference amp for reviewers overseas. It's difficult for them to use our beloved tube amps as the don't always match speakers. Here's a ToneAudio review if it comes through on this post...
/Users/rbc7/Downloads/review_premier350_j_dorgay_ta.pdf

Hmm... maybe not. Got to figure out how to add this PDF file. In the meantime, enjoy the music.

Stephen... how are the KT120s doing?

:music:

Puma Cat 11-23-2011 05:40 PM

Coppy,
The KT-120s are doing great, and the interesting thing is they seemed to have created a wonderful synergy with the CT-5. I spent the evening listening to the CT-5 last night with my Rega P5 and I'm going to have to rethink things. The fuller, weightier, and punchier presentation of the KT-120s has filled in some of the gaps I've always felt the CT-5 had compared to the Premier 17. Namely, while the CT-5 was quieter, faster, more detailed and transparent, it was thinner, leaner, flatter, more neutal and smaller in presentation than the Premier 17.

The KT-120s seems to have really brought the CT-5 to another level in terms of these gaps. Gotta say, the CT-5 sounded REALLY good last night. The other remarkable thing is how good the Rega P5 is compared to my much more expensive Michell/SME V/Koetsu UV.

Interesting thing to think about, about how a power tube in an amp can create greater synergistic results with a preamp.

Coppy 11-23-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 230734)
Coppy,
The KT-120s are doing great, and the interesting thing is they seemed to have created a wonderful synergy with the CT-5. I spent the evening listening to the CT-5 last night with my Rega P5 and I'm going to have to rethink things. The fuller, weightier, and punchier presentation of the KT-120s has filled in some of the gaps I've always felt the CT-5 had compared to the Premier 17. Namely, while the CT-5 was quieter, faster, more detailed and transparent, it was thinner, leaner, flatter, more neutal and smaller in presentation than the Premier 17.

The KT-120s seems to have really brought the CT-5 to another level in terms of these gaps. Gotta say, the CT-5 sounded REALLY good last night. The other remarkable thing is how good the Rega P5 is compared to my much more expensive Michell/SME V/Koetsu UV.

Interesting thing to think about, about how a power tube in an amp can create greater synergistic results with a preamp.

It never ceases to amaze me how simply getting properly matched equipment together makes such a huge difference in the sound. Some of the world's best equipment can be so disappointing paired badly together. And, it's not at all obvious why that is or how to match things except trial and error. Why do Transparent cables work well with Wilson speakers? Certain interconnects work better in certain systems? There are a few obvious electrical issues like impedance and damping factor but look at what a tube change in your amp did for the amp/preamp combo. The output of the CT-5 was probably always there but only now can your amp fully express it. Maybe we need a thread on just this subject. Glad to hear everything is working so well for you.

Bob

Puma Cat 11-23-2011 06:28 PM

Bob,
Yes, I think we need a new thread on just this subject! ;)

I'm listening to the CT-5 right now again, and it sounds fab; it's strikingly quiet for a tube preamp.

dpod4 11-23-2011 09:28 PM

Just plugged my CJ350 in, after listening to my reference CDs thru my VAC 300.1a amp. Wow, I guess that's what bass and punch is supposed to sound like thru my Magnepan 3.7s! I kid you not, I muted and unmuted my Velodyne DD15+ and could no longer hear the subwoofer...my Magnepans are now taking over the low end via the Premier 350. I was bracing myself for loss of delicacy at the top, but right of the box, first 1/2 hour turned on the CJ is much better in the mids and highs than I was expecting -- not overly bright nor rolled off. Nice to know the spatial soundstaging inherent in my VAC preamp carries over to the SS amp. Other thing I am noticing is incredible combination of macro and micro dynamics.

chessman 11-23-2011 09:49 PM

Sounds like you have a winner. Congrats!!

joeinid 11-23-2011 10:05 PM

Lets get a CJ Premier 350 re-issue group buy going !!! I'm in!

Puma Cat 11-23-2011 10:47 PM

I'd be with ya, Joe, but they'd never do it....