AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Rega Planar 10 in da house (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48893)

doggiehowser 10-24-2020 07:51 PM

It took me a tiny bit longer with the Planar 8 because it was the first time I’d ever set up the new arm. The Planar 10 was just rinse repeat.

I’m using a 3D printed slip mat now from an Australian manufacturer called the Les Davis 33 1/3D mat and it’s uncanny how big the improvement is. It was originally chosen because we hated felt mats [emoji51] but it’s really a big step up.

Coppy 10-24-2020 08:04 PM

Stein Mat here with great results. Who knew?

Antonmb 10-25-2020 01:18 AM

I’m using an Auditorium 23 mat, works like a charm. The felt mat is the only issue I’ve had with the RP10, in dry weather it would occasionally cling to the record - dangerous when flipping a record with the platter spinning.

Formerly YB-2 10-25-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 1018778)
I’m using a 3D printed slip mat now from an Australian manufacturer called the Les Davis 33 1/3D mat and it’s uncanny how big the improvement is. It was originally chosen because we hated felt mats [emoji51] but it’s really a big step up.

When I had an RP25 with RB1000 arm I used the original Ring-Mat and it was a big improvement. Like you, never a fan of felt mats. I still use the Ring-Mat (after re-glue of the cork) on my DP-80 and keep thinking that after 25yr it should be replaced.

Coppy 10-25-2020 08:50 AM

Incidentally... the Stein Music's mats, which are actually treated paper as are the woofers in my Wilsons, come with little tiny felt dots to attach the mat to the turntable. I'd never heard of Stein Music before reading Michael Fermer's review of the Planar 10 in Stereophile. He used one on this table. Turns out my dealer sells them. Discovery. Ain't life wonderful?

Formerly YB-2 11-10-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1018556)
The table came with the Apheta 3 pre-installed. So, far, I am very impressed with it, its very musical with superb detail and defintion, and it is very, very neutral. I really like it.

Getting better with age?

gaboudreaux 01-25-2021 04:55 PM

Stephen (PUMA CAT), any further feedback on your review of the Rega Planar 10?

I can't seem to shake the desire to go analog and naturally want to get the best TT setup I can (which usually means big $$). I may have talked myself off the ledge and will try to approach this wisely. IF I can remain disciplined and not go off the deep end, I will try to start off with an inexpensive setup. This one seems to be well liked by many.

Puma Cat 01-25-2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboudreaux (Post 1030457)
Stephen (PUMA CAT), any further feedback on your review of the Rega Planar 10?

I can't seem to shake the desire to go analog and naturally want to get the best TT setup I can (which usually means big $$). I may have talked myself off the ledge and will try to approach this wisely. IF I can remain disciplined and not go off the deep end, I will try to start off with an inexpensive setup. This one seems to be well liked by many.

I gotta say, the Rega Planar 10 turntable is FABULOUS. I frickin' love it. Its is exceptionally quiet, and superbly neutral. There is NO coloration with this TT and the Apheta 3. None. And gobs and gobs of detail with an solid, and weighty bottom-end. Soundstage width, breadth and height is excellent and image stability is outstanding. The Rega Planar 10 is so good, so musical, immersive and so musically engaging, I guess you could spend more money on a TT, but really, why? I don't think one's musical enjoyment, involvement and sheer musical pleasure could be higher than what the Planar 10 provides. Save the money for a much more expensive deck and buy a Shunyata Everest and an Omega or Sigma XC PC for your system, instead.

This week, the plan is to do an interview with Roy Gandy of Rega for TAS.

Antonmb 01-26-2021 12:35 AM

Stephen, are you had any experience with the RP10? I’m wondering how much of a difference there would be going from the RP10 to P10 and in what areas.

Puma Cat 01-26-2021 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1030494)
Stephen, are you had any experience with the RP10? I’m wondering how much of a difference there would be going from the RP10 to P10 and in what areas.

Hi Tony,

I wish I had that experience to compare the two, but unfortunately, I don't. I do know that the Planar 10 has a newer arm, the RB3000, which is built to the highest tolerances yet of any Rega arm, the ceramic "strut" between the main bearing and tonearm, and an entirely new main bearing, but how those translate into differences, I really can't say. The last Rega I had was the P5, and that was a great 'table, but the Planar 10 is really, really exemplary. I'm thinking of buying this one and selling my Michell Gyro SE/SME V and Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, to be honest (a table that, new, would sell for ~$15K).