AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Adding P10 Into The Mix (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25846)

bvdiman 03-17-2014 06:59 PM

Adding P10 Into The Mix

Hi Guys, need some advise here from resident PS experts..
I'm currently running two dedicated line feeding my two channel only system.
One seeing a P1200 powering mono amps, and the other, into a PPP which feeds transport, dac, and a pre-amp. Both are working superbly btw.
Now (that itch), I want to add one P10 into the mix, how best to do so in order to reap the greatest benefit/sound improvement?

1) Replace PPP w/P10 powering the front ends
2) Replace P1200 w/P10 powering the mono amps
3) Use only one outlet and plug ALL into the P10

*May add a second P10 if happy with results in near future.

Appreciate any input/feedback. Cheers.

sircharles 03-17-2014 07:20 PM

If I had your itch...😎 I would power the mono amps with a P10. What amps do you have?

I use two PPP in my system. One for the DAC and Preamp. The second for my stereo amp. I should note that I am very happy with the results.

bvdiman 03-17-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sircharles (Post 590599)
If I had your itch...😎 I would power the mono amps with a P10. What amps do you have?

I use two PPP in my system. One for the DAC and Preamp. The second for my stereo amp. I should note that I am very happy with the results.

Currently, Accuphase A200 / FM Acoustics 611.
I had that same gut feeling, but my dealer advises that replacing the PPP which is powering front-ends would see greater benefits. :headscrt:
*Surprisingly, for high current demands, vintage P1200 actually outperformed PPP in my system hence me still keeping it when upgrading to PPP a few years back (ordered two, returned one). It will be an interesting call between it and the P10. I trust new P10 to have the upper hand - but by how much. :scratch2:

*Also seeking opinions from those who have made the switch from PPP to P10, how much improvements? And what are some of the more immediate glaring gains?

sircharles 03-17-2014 09:07 PM

Very nice amps!!!

I would use a single P10 for each amp if possible.

Also it wouldn't hurt to experiment on your own. Some decisions are best made through personal experiences.

Does your dealer have a P10 you could demo? If so, play around with different configurations and see what sounds best to you.

Let us know how it goes and I hope you get some good benefits as I did with better power regeneration.

redm 03-17-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvdiman (Post 590610)
Currently, Accuphase A200

I got a warm fuzzy when I read that... :thumbsup:

Bluemcintosh 03-17-2014 09:23 PM

I have a set of MC601's , C2300 ,MCD500 all plugged in to P10 and hardly using 19% of power that can handle. ( with 275's are about 32% ) I would suggest go with single P10 for now.

Masterlu 03-17-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redm (Post 590638)
I got a warm fuzzy when I read that... :thumbsup:

Me too! :naughty:

Bluemcintosh 03-17-2014 09:25 PM

Oh... I had a PPP before.... the improvements are not subtle. ( do not believe on specs - hear the difference. The specs is just specs )

bvdiman 03-18-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sircharles (Post 590630)
Very nice amps!!!

I would use a single P10 for each amp if possible.

Also it wouldn't hurt to experiment on your own. Some decisions are best made through personal experiences.

Does your dealer have a P10 you could demo? If so, play around with different configurations and see what sounds best to you.

Let us know how it goes and I hope you get some good benefits as I did with better power regeneration.

Thanks!
That's what the dealer said - one for each mono block is best.. Much more at ease and relax with the greater reserve headroom. But comment was referring to a friend's system using all new monstrous Soulution 701 monos/preamp driving Q7. Was told including HT set-up he ended using 6x P10s! Thankfully my lesser system need not go that extent.

*Once delivered I'll play around, probably doing option 1 first i.e. replace PPP and see how things go from there. Hate lugging and re-arranging those heavy blocks! :sigh:

bvdiman 03-18-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluemcintosh (Post 590640)
I have a set of MC601's , C2300 ,MCD500 all plugged in to P10 and hardly using 19% of power that can handle. ( with 275's are about 32% ) I would suggest go with single P10 for now.

Good to know. :thumbsup: Thanks for the info!

What power cord are you using from wall to P10?