AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata Sigma s/pdif Digital Cable Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46429)

jdandy 08-15-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLF (Post 976282)
Dan. Excellent and comprehensive review as usual. I love reading your reviews, but I don’t thank you often enough.

I may have to try one of these Shunyata digital cables soon due to your review and since I’m on a Shunyata roll now with pair of new Denali v2s. :D

Bob.......Thank you for the kind words. My experience with the two new Sigma series cables in my systems clearly demonstrates to me that Shunyata Research has done their homework. Their customer's comments are testimony that Shunyata products deliver on their claims.

Sniper17 08-28-2019 07:03 PM

Thanks Dan, very thoughtful review. I totally get your physical stress of comparing cables. I have a Nagra HD DAC and Classic Power Supply, which is a significant investment. I primarily use Tidal. I have begun the is S/PDIF cable journey also. Been an audio nut for 35 years, the cycle never ends!

justubes 09-06-2019 08:00 AM

Very nice reading, Dan.

I did occur to me that you already had the Shunyata Sigma usb, was it ever connected in your main system.

Would it not be better allowing for usb's higher rate passtrought to your K01x instead ofmfurther investijg in the spdif version?

I am guessing the spdif connection with the Sigma is superior or preferred.

j3brow 09-06-2019 10:08 AM

Shunyata Sigma s/pdif Digital Cable Review

Quote:

Originally Posted by justubes (Post 978712)
Very nice reading, Dan.

I did occur to me that you already had the Shunyata Sigma usb, was it ever connected in your main system.

Would it not be better allowing for usb's higher rate passtrought to your K01x instead ofmfurther investijg in the spdif version?

One reason is USB relies on the clock in the dac, eschewing the clock in the source (in Dan’s case the Aurender N10); whereas the spdif allows the Aurender to be the clock. If one thinks the source clock is better than the dac clock or the source simply sounds better using the output of its own clock, usb may not be the best choice.

jdandy 09-06-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justubes (Post 978712)
Very nice reading, Dan.

justubes.......The Aurender N10 music server's oven controlled crystal oscillator clock is a more accurate clock than is the voltage controlled crystal oscillator in the Esoteric K-01X. In addition, the fully shielded proprietary s/pdif output stage in the N10 delivers exceptional performance. The higher data transfer rates supported by the USB output don't concern me because I am not interested in DSD playback from my music server. I enjoy DSD playback direct from SACD discs played directly from the Esoteric K-01X transport. The Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital coaxial cable between the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric k-01X is delivering astonishing performance. There is no need to mess with perfection.

jdandy 09-06-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3brow (Post 978720)
One reason is USB relies on the clock in the dac, eschewing the clock in the source (in Dan’s case the Aurender N10); whereas the spdif allows the Aurender to be the clock. If one thinks the source clock is better than the dac clock or the source simply sounds better using the output of its own clock, usb may not be the best choice.

Jason.......You are correct, taking advantage of the superior OCXO clock in the Aurender N10 is exactly why I prefer the s/pdif connection between the N10 and the K-01X. That remarkable accuracy coupled with the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital coaxial cable delivers an incredibly satisfying listening experience.

justubes 09-07-2019 02:44 PM

I have my esoterics clocked with the Sigma clock 50 and it was great, so dont have any spdif to try.

I wonder if the sigma clock cables are the same cable as the sigma spdif.

I guess i could do a swap, them again, that's not getting the correct outcome.

The Alphas are reported to sound very close to the Sigmas, maybe worth a try.

jdandy 09-07-2019 02:56 PM

justubes.......The Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital coaxial cable is a 75 ohm cable. The Shunyata Sigma Clock-50 cable is a 50-ohm digital cable terminated with BNC compression connectors.

justubes 09-07-2019 03:17 PM

Missed on that one. Unless it is a clock 75.Thanks

Not sue if they are the same cable