AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Where should I position my rear surrounds (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48658)

Grasshopper 09-16-2020 05:50 PM

Where should I position my rear surrounds

1 Attachment(s)
Fellow AA'ers, my basement finish is underway! Time for me to wire all the low voltage wiring and get some sheetrock rolling.

I'm going to be running a 7.2 setup (with cables for an extra pair of subs for a future 7.4 setup).

I was able to buy some Bryston TIW (their 3 way in-wall speaker) {THANKS IVAN}, which will be the surround back.

The back wall is around 28' back from the front, and is not in a dedicated room (the basement is open to the left of the front screen and to the right when looking back at the rear wall.

The rear wall is 140" wide, by 96" tall.

Long term, I would love to place some arcade games or something along that back wall, but for now, it is rear surround wall only.

With the thought of having arcade games, my initial thought was to place the brystons 72" off the ground (measured to the bottom).* This would leave the top of the speaker 7" off the ceiling, 24" from the left wall, and around 72" apart.* (Labeled "A" in the picture).* When I drew this on the wall, it felt really high to me, but again I've never had a 7.x setup before.

The more I read, the more I feel like high on the wall is the better placement of the rear surround speakers.

I drew out another option "B" where the top of the Brystons would be 20" from the ceiling, 59" off the ground (to the bottom of the speaker), 56" apart, and 34" off the wall on either side.

I'm not crazy about this setup, as it is in the way of future fun. Plus I assume you want them wider than the listening area (without getting too close to the wall).

This led me to Option "C", placing the speakers 7" from the ceiling, and 18" for either side. This is my top choice, if it will render good results. (I will be adding an Anthem Statement D2V as my processor, so the ARC room correction will likely do awesome work to overcome imperfections in the room).

Finally, a friend suggested I mount the Brystons upside down, so the tweeters are not up so high avoiding reflections in the ceiling which seemed like a great thought.

What do you say? I look forward to your feedback as I'm planning on running speaker cables ASAP and want to run them to the right location :)

I've attached a photo that I've marked up so you can get a better idea.*

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...7&d=1600293301

Attachment 62875

Kal Rubinson 09-16-2020 05:55 PM

Upside down at A or C.

Grasshopper 09-16-2020 05:57 PM

Thank you so much for your reply Kal!

By the way. Your review of the Anthem Statement D2v helped me a great deal in buying one ----

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 1014734)
Upside down at A or C.

Masterlu 09-16-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 1014734)
Upside down at A or C.

:ok:

Grasshopper 09-16-2020 06:55 PM

Thanks Ivan...looks like upside down C it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1014741)
:ok:

Grasshopper 09-17-2020 09:03 AM

...or upside down A.

;)

piolaxo 09-17-2020 12:08 PM

Can it be upsize down A (or C), but half of the height of the surrounds speakers down?

Grasshopper 09-17-2020 03:44 PM

Are you suggesting moving A (or C) down 7" (give or take)?

If so, I'd rather not as having 72" below the speakers open is ideal for future use of the wall-

Quote:

Originally Posted by piolaxo (Post 1014803)
Can it be upsize down A (or C), but half of the height of the surrounds speakers down?

Masterlu 09-17-2020 05:10 PM

You can always do two pairs of speakers on the back wall; A & C position with a switch. :naughty:

:D

Grasshopper 09-17-2020 05:21 PM

Now we are talking! LOL

Take my money :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1014836)
You can always do two pairs of speakers on the back wall; A & C position with a switch. :naughty:

:D