AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Formerly YB-2 03-28-2018 10:00 PM

Tony - you're welcome. Please keep me (us) posted. I'm preamp shopping and will probably do a piece of Schiit ;) for the short-term. Am hoping Dennis will do me a pair of 6922s feeding a pair of 6SN7s with tube rectification. And a remote volume control, of course. :thumbsup:

BearCityUSA 03-29-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 908582)
Tony - you're welcome. Please keep me (us) posted. I'm preamp shopping and will probably do a piece of Schiit ;) for the short-term. Am hoping Dennis will do me a pair of 6922s feeding a pair of 6SN7s with tube rectification. And a remote volume control, of course. :thumbsup:

My lp-2 upgraded to lp-3a has 6h1ns feeding a single 6cg7. I rolled some 6922s and ended up back with the Russian Rockets. Of course Dennis originally designed the pre around those RRs. The point I really want to make is that I love that Preamp. It is a great piece. I have an Lp-27a special edition which does have some clarity and refinement the other does not but those little tubes sure do sound nice. I have no plans to get rid of either one.

Formerly YB-2 03-30-2018 04:31 PM

My new-to-me Schiit Valhalla 2 uses a pair of 6N1Ps (6922, etc.) feeding a pair of 6N6P tubes. Should be interesting to listen to as it breaks-in (arrives next Wed).

Musica Amantem 03-31-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 908713)
I have an Lp-27a special edition which does have some clarity and refinement the other does not but those little tubes sure do sound nice. I have no plans to get rid of either one.

Would you kindly explain what are the differences between your "Special Edition" and our normal LP-27a? Thanks!

BearCityUSA 03-31-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 908949)
Would you kindly explain what are the differences between your "Special Edition" and our normal LP-27a? Thanks!

Sorry, I wish I new more. My wife got the 27 for me for Christmas a couple years ago. I gave her Dennis # and had been in discussion earlier with DH and said that I wanted one with " the works". A stepped attenuator and some upgraded parts as I remember but I do not recall the particulars if I ever new them. It is signed as a LP-27a 'Special Edition'. I can post a picture of the innards if you would like to compare.

Breakdown7 03-31-2018 09:42 PM

The LP-27a is a nice little preamp. I have a standard build one in the copper color. I just wish my black PSE amp matched it.

Rosco65 04-01-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 909027)
Sorry, I wish I new more. My wife got the 27 for me for Christmas a couple years ago. I gave her Dennis # and had been in discussion earlier with DH and said that I wanted one with " the works". A stepped attenuator and some upgraded parts as I remember but I do not recall the particulars if I ever new them. It is signed as a LP-27a 'Special Edition'. I can post a picture of the innards if you would like to compare.

I have an early LP-27a (and early PSE - I actually had to send it back immediately to have the IIPS mod installed). I requested a DACT attenuator, but Dennis did not suggest any other changes. Mine have Mundorf coupling caps, but he may have changed to Auden True Copper afterward, and IIRC, he may have added an additional choke stage to the PS at a later point.

I’m not sure if any Inspire products are truly standard. There appear to be default circuit and parts choices, but running changes appear to be the norm.

Musica Amantem 04-02-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 909027)

Thanks for the info. Mine also has a DACT stepped attenuator. No big deal, I was just curious.

jimi55 04-03-2018 01:11 PM

This may have been asked before, but do any of you LP-27a owners have a favorite tube combination you prefer to use in it.

Musica Amantem 04-04-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimi55 (Post 909404)
This may have been asked before, but do any of you LP-27a owners have a favorite tube combination you prefer to use in it.

I go for the balloon-type 56's (any brand, these just sound more transparent than the 27's in my system), with a Pope 80. I've returned to the original 6BX7 for the input from a Psvane 6SN7. YMMV