AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Mye Sound Stands for Magnepan 20.7s (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24232)

cma29 12-02-2013 02:49 PM

Mye Sound Stands for Magnepan 20.7s

Last week I ordered a set of "stealth" Mye stands for my 20.7s. I chose the semi-gloss black finish and for the anchors I went with both rounded points and sharp. My thinking was that my wife likes moving the speakers off to the side when watching movies, so the rounded points will allow the speaker to slide after tilting it and the sharp points will anchor it once it is set on the carpet.

Has anyone else tried this tweak with their Maggies? If so, what did you think?

klao 12-02-2013 10:07 PM

I had the normal Mye stands for my 3.6's previously. They helped with better imaging/focus and soundstage, I think. I also ordered the new ones for my 20.7's, but they're still at the USA with a freight forwarder my friend uses. Not sure what type of footing did Grant send for me, though.

wildcat82 12-03-2013 08:47 AM

I had normal Mye stands for my 3.7s, and they did the same thing, improved imaging, focus and soundstage. I now have 20.7s with the oval bases not the original feet, I'm really wondering if the Mye stands would have the same effect on the 20.7s since they are so much thicker, therefore stiffer then the 3.7s?

Masterlu 12-03-2013 10:42 AM

wildcat82... Welcome! :wave:

cma29 12-03-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcat82 (Post 556874)
I had normal Mye stands for my 3.7s, and they did the same thing, improved imaging, focus and soundstage. I now have 20.7s with the oval bases not the original feet, I'm really wondering if the Mye stands would have the same effect on the 20.7s since they are so much thicker, therefore stiffer then the 3.7s?

Hi, wildcat82. I have the oval bases as well. My thinking on getting the Mye stands was that since each 20.7 is currently anchored only at the very bottom of its frame then there might be some small movements on top even if it's a thick and heavy panel. Also, I figured I spent a bunch of money on the speakers already, what's another few hundred bucks to anchor it properly.

I should have my upgraded stands in early 2014. I'll report on my findings after I install them.

russell 12-03-2013 12:16 PM

Gentlemen - Please report back when you get your stands for the 20.7's. I've been considering buying them (Stealth version) but remain uncertain as to their benefit.

Hifisand 12-28-2013 02:36 AM

I have standard Mye stands for my 3.7's on a wood floor with sharps. I added 3 stillpoint ultra 5's to replace sharps. 2 in front and 1 centered in back (could use only 3 thanks to mye stands back bar). I intend to add fourth but the improvement with 3 is fantastic. I would assume adding to 20.7 on Mye stand would also be a fantastic event. I had mye add 1/4x20 threads also. Want to try screwing Ultra 5 to stand. This is supposed to be better according to stillpoints.

Update: Added 4th Ultra5 and screwed (not tight) into place. WOW even better. using regular stand not stealth. Flat black.

audiot servant 12-28-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hifisand (Post 564316)
I have standard Mye stands for my 3.7's on a wood floor with sharps. I added 3 stillpoint ultra 5's to replace sharps. 2 in front and 1 centered in back (could use only 3 thanks to mye stands back bar). I intend to add fourth but the improvement with 3 is fantastic. I would assume adding to 20.7 on Mye stand would also be a fantastic event. I had mye add 1/4x20 threads also. Want to try screwing Ultra 5 to stand. This is supposed to be better according to stillpoints.

Hifisand, nice work with the Mye's and the Ulrra 5s... using the threaded screws to direct connect the Ultra 5s added quite an improvement on the 20.7s particularly in terms of the speaker's focus over just resting the points underneath.

Over a fair part of the last year I've experimented with sets of Ultra 5s, SS and minis under speakers and components in a range of systems from $30k to well over $500k and they invariably contribute a significant and fantastic effect but especially when used system wide to float the entire set-up... and as good as Ultra 5s can be under gear like amps and sources they really come in to their own and are often easily an order of magnitude more significant at the speakers end of the setup and as involving and real as Maggie's can ordinarily seem the Ultra 5s were particularly transformational under the 20.7s.

Robert_Anderson 12-28-2013 07:30 AM

I have a pair on my 20.1's. They work miracles in bass response and imaging.

Hifisand 12-29-2013 02:13 AM

Sounds like I need to get two more ultra 5's and screw them on. Also have the braces filled with micro shot to make it heavier. I would like to float the whole system also. To keep the Maggie's from flapping in reaction to them making music, the Mye stands could be considered a requirement. They do provide a place to use Stillpoints.