AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Shared Music-Internet Uh Oh!!! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=797)

klipschfan 05-14-2009 10:13 AM

Shared Music-Internet Uh Oh!!!

05 / 14 / 09

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/0409/french_flag.gif
As reported on by Enjoy the Music.com on April 9th, while the United States of America is considering passing a law that essentially legalizes spying on your computer to find allegedly illegally shared music files
"Cybersecurity Act of 2009"
, in France lawmakers are on the verge of passing the same type of law. While the initial vote in France to spy on Internet users failed to receive enough votes, yesterday the law passed in France's government's second attempt, with 296 votes for and 233 against. The United States government readily admits to spying on computer usage for years. The French proposal, called the "Création et Internet", also called the "three strikes" rule in which if someone is caught with illegal music files they could face stiff penalties and/or jail time. First and second offences would be noted by e-mail, while the third such offence would require the Internet provider to stop servicing the customer. A preliminary vote by France's Parliament is expected to pass and also is supported by President Nicolas Sarkozy. A document from this initiative states that "Over and above the consequences this has on the traditional physical media, the culture of pirated works is, today, the main obstacle to the development of legal downloads in our country." The memorandum also states that "However, penalties against illegal downloading exist, on the basis of the criminal offence of infringement of copyright: a maximum fine of €300,000 and up to three years imprisonment. They appear inappropriate however, as does the legal procedure in the event of ordinary pirating." You can read more at this link.

Still-One 05-14-2009 11:54 AM

I thought we were staying out of the political arena here on AA?

klipschfan 05-14-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillone (Post 14223)
I thought we were staying out of the political arena here on AA?

I do not care about politics.

This was posted because it involves music. If it violates any posting rules then I'm sure it will be deep six time...:yes:

-E- 05-14-2009 09:01 PM

I actually read the entire proposal and had no idea about this until KF posted it.

Thank you, KF. No, this is not political but has ramifications to even those of us that desire to rip our CD's and store for home usage - the vagueness of this basically allows an attempt at an intrusion into our LAN's to snoop around.

Go get a good IT security expert if you don't already have one, and lock down your media servers! (or take them offline) :D

Still-One 05-14-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesuvius (Post 14349)
I actually read the entire proposal and had no idea about this until KF posted it.

Thank you, KF. No, this is not political but has ramifications to even those of us that desire to rip our CD's and store for home usage - the vagueness of this basically allows an attempt at an intrusion into our LAN's to snoop around.

Go get a good IT security expert if you don't already have one, and lock down your media servers! (or take them offline) :D

If this part of the paragraph is not political, I do not know what is.
In the United States of America, President Barack Hussein Obama may be considering signing the unConstitutional "Cybersecurity Act of 2009" that is reported to then give the government warrentless spying and dictatorial power over Internet usage. It begs the question, are Americans paying any attention to their highly diminished liberty and freedom?
I don't need this BS here!!!

Masterlu 05-14-2009 10:03 PM

Politics! :nono:

-E- 05-14-2009 10:16 PM

Ehhh, I don't read too much foreign press, I went straight for the link and read the actual bill that was presented for debate.

Sorry, Stillone. I see where you got politicized.

I was commenting on the bill and our own music on our own servers, not on what someone else "reported."